Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,868 times

Advertisements

I don't think Americans understand how like GB NI is, we aren't actually part of the ROI so its different laws and stuff. I went on a trip to gb twice this week and honestly it was no different to here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:59 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
How is that odd? They don't consider themselves Irish at all.
Really? Every single one of they? Last time I looked everyone on the island of Ireland is Irish, and Ireland is one of the British Isles. But of course you're not talking geography. No nationality should be assumed to be one giant amorphous blob.

When people stop attaching giant invisible labels to words such a Irish and British then maybe the island will have a chance to move forward, together. That doesn't just involve those nasty pantomime villains "the Protestants" becoming soft and cuddly liberals open to change. It also means those century old downtrodden pantomime victims "the Irish" redefining their outlook to a people who will not conveniently disappear upon reunification.

Ireland will not be united when the border is abolished, but when the borders in people's minds no longer exist. Irish Bob's comments about accepting cultural Protestantism are a crucial first step. Wouldn't it be something if Sinn Fein campaigned on a programme of wooing Protestant hearts and minds.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:19 AM

You live in NI, you know what happens. How do you know what my religion is?? Don't stereotype me and put me into groups, I am an individual and I cannot STAND being grouped like that. I am sick of this country and the nonsense, I can't wait to get out!You saying that I hate Protestants really does not help.

And SF will never be liked by Protestants. They have committed many atrocities that will never ever be forgiven. I personally have no time for what they have to say. Sorry.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:39 AM

16,551 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
How is that odd? They don't consider themselves Irish at all.
I am honestly not certain what you mean by this
My point in comparing an American sports like basketball or baseball with Irish and/or British sports is that no one has a sense they are not welcome. If you can play well, it does not matter if you are white, red, yellow, black , or brown. Furthermore you religion doesn't mean anything either. So you would not hear someone say we don't have many XYZ playing this sport like what apparently goes on with some of the Irish sports like Hurling. I doubt anyone would prevent them from participating if they were very good, but I am not certain. It just struck me as odd how the tour guy described it. Yet he did not say it in a sectarian way, just more of a matter of fact casual way.

Quote:
I am sick of this country and the nonsense, I can't wait to get out!You saying that I hate Protestants really does not help.

And SF will never be liked by Protestants. They have committed many atrocities that will never ever be forgiven. I personally have no time for what they have to say. Sorry.
Well assuming you are on the Nationalist side of the political spectrum, if you don't support Sinn Fein, are you more of a SDLP supporter?

As to your pronouncement that SF will never be liked by Protestants, I am not sure that is entirely true. Granted the average person in NI and maybe even in GB who is Protestant will feel that way, but if the "Chuckle Brothers" of Paisley and McGuinness could share power and apparently become friends, almost anything is possible.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I suppose that is because Boston Celtics is just a name. I'm presuming it could possibly have Irish origin ?? but in the US people of all ethnic and religious persuasions could join this team.

In Ireland Gaelic sports like hurling and football are very old Irish games and the Protestants in NI wouldn't consider them part of their heritage. As Summerwhale said they don't consider themselves Irish. You might know the history already.
I agree with this. Also, In the States, hurling and Gaelic football are almost exclusively played by Irish and Irish-Ameicans and probably not at all where there isn't some sort of strong Irish presence. I certainly doesn't even exist where I live now (New Mexico) though in my home state you would see people with hurling equipment in the park or on the train.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:50 PM

Why would it? America is not Ireland.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am honestly not certain what you mean by this
My point in comparing an American sports like basketball or baseball with Irish and/or British sports is that no one has a sense they are not welcome. If you can play well, it does not matter if you are white, red, yellow, black , or brown. Furthermore you religion doesn't mean anything either. So you would not hear someone say we don't have many XYZ playing this sport like what apparently goes on with some of the Irish sports like Hurling. I doubt anyone would prevent them from participating if they were very good, but I am not certain. It just struck me as odd how the tour guy described it. Yet he did not say it in a sectarian way, just more of a matter of fact casual way.

Well assuming you are on the Nationalist side of the political spectrum, if you don't support Sinn Fein, are you more of a SDLP supporter?

As to your pronouncement that SF will never be liked by Protestants, I am not sure that is entirely true. Granted the average person in NI and maybe even in GB who is Protestant will feel that way, but if the "Chuckle Brothers" of Paisley and McGuinness could share power and apparently become friends, almost anything is possible.
Erm did you not learn that the Ulster-Scots consider themselves British? I don't see what you are confused about. Ulster-Scots generally = British and Catholics mostly = Irish.. There is not much difference in everyday life except for political views and sports..

Catholic = GAA
Protestants = Cricket, Football, Rugby.

I would never play GAA because of its assocaition with Republicanism and also the fact that I personally want to stay in the UK and don't really see the point in supporting the Irish language or Irish sports.

And no I am not anything but I do want to stay in the UK, I don't associate myself with any political party in NI or even the politics here because it is mainly territorial and bigoted.. I cannot be bothered with bitching and backstabbing. I do not care what a person's views are, we were raised to keep this inside our house and not mention it elsewhere, so that is the way I live.

SF used to be run by terrorists and their members hide this and pretend that it didn't happen. They are still quite bigoted and do not actually care about the population, if you watch our news you will see that most of the time not much gets done in Stormont but the DUP and them arguing. I am Northern Irish British not just British as to me British isn't really a true nationality but that is up for the person themselves.

In the end though I would like to get out of NI because it is small and there is no future. The people are backward with no motivation to change or move on. People judge you on your religious "beliefs" which to me is downright arrogant and rude. I speak to everyone because we are humans and I actually do not give a flip.. Most people in NI I could not have the time of the day for due to the bigotry.

I used to be quite narrowminded and in a bubble but since all of my travelling things have started to come to the surface that I don't normally notice. Notable the poor transport system and amenities.

Last edited by Summerwhale; 10-27-2014 at 01:17 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 03:24 PM

16,551 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Erm did you not learn that the Ulster-Scots consider themselves British? I don't see what you are confused about. Ulster-Scots generally = British and Catholics mostly = Irish.. There is not much difference in everyday life except for political views and sports..

Catholic = GAA
Protestants = Cricket, Football, Rugby.

I would never play GAA because of its assocaition with Republicanism and also the fact that I personally want to stay in the UK and don't really see the point in supporting the Irish language or Irish sports.

And no I am not anything but I do want to stay in the UK, I don't associate myself with any political party in NI or even the politics here because it is mainly territorial and bigoted.. I cannot be bothered with bitching and backstabbing. I do not care what a person's views are, we were raised to keep this inside our house and not mention it elsewhere, so that is the way I live.

SF used to be run by terrorists and their members hide this and pretend that it didn't happen. They are still quite bigoted and do not actually care about the population, if you watch our news you will see that most of the time not much gets done in Stormont but the DUP and them arguing. I am Northern Irish British not just British as to me British isn't really a true nationality but that is up for the person themselves.

In the end though I would like to get out of NI because it is small and there is no future. The people are backward with no motivation to change or move on. People judge you on your religious "beliefs" which to me is downright arrogant and rude. I speak to everyone because we are humans and I actually do not give a flip.. Most people in NI I could not have the time of the day for due to the bigotry.

I used to be quite narrowminded and in a bubble but since all of my travelling things have started to come to the surface that I don't normally notice. Notable the poor transport system and amenities.
I guess I missed where you mentioned that you were an Ulster-Scot because that makes more sense based on your posting comments.

As to your comment about never playing GAA because of Republicanism, again over here across the pond, it sounds very odd. I cannot think of a sport that I could associate with a nationality or religion, but even if I could, that would not prevent me from playing if the game held my interest.

Even back when the Soviet Union was our biggest threat, if they played a game that was Soviet to it's core, I'd still have played without any mind to who invented it. If anything it might be looked at as a challenge to get better at their own sport and beat them with it. Not that hockey is Soviet/Russian, but they were the best in the world at it for a long time. As you may recall we handed them a massive defeat in the 1980 Winter Olympics.

I have run out of time, but I cannot help but notice you ignored(maybe by accident) my observation on how Ian Paisley who hated the IRA(and by extension SF) worked with and eventually became friends with Martin McGuinness.

I will get back later tonight.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:28 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,126 times
Quote:
You live in NI, you know what happens. How do you know what my religion is?? Don't stereotype me and put me into groups, I am an individual and I cannot STAND being grouped like that. I am sick of this country and the nonsense, I can't wait to get out!You saying that I hate Protestants really does not help.

How can you get out of NI when you're so xenophobic?

Old 10-27-2014, 03:31 PM

I can goto university in England
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom