Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 02:28 PM

16,549 posts, read 8,589,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
They will never be able to provide us with the resources that the UK provides us.
That may be true even when Irelands economy was roaring as the "Celtic Tiger". However don't assume the UK will always be predisposed to providing all the money it currently does. I remember reading the Guardian poll that said a majority of those surveyed thought NI cost the UK too much money, and they would be happy to see it reduced or eliminated by it going back with the whole of Ireland.

As to it not being an issue, the Republicans are not going away any time soon, so the question of re-unification will continue long into the future. When the population of Catholic/Irish gets to a tipping point over there, it will be inevitable that a vote will be called. The Loyalists of course will not want it, but how they will react if it passes is another question all together. Hopefully by then they will be disarmed to help avoid any more bloodshed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 03:04 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,868 times
The UK cannot get rid of us unless we say so.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:54 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,753 times
Given the history it's ironic some in rUK would be happy to cast NI adrift, while many north and south do not seem fussed about reunification.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
The UK cannot get rid of us unless we say so.
That is what the GFA was/is all about, and it seems like the best way to help keep the peace. However if the UK suddenly cut the funding by a significant amount, would someone such as yourself still feel the same way.
Another words is it totally economic from your perspective, or are there political/cultural considerations?

Old 10-16-2014, 09:00 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That may be true even when Irelands economy was roaring as the "Celtic Tiger". However don't assume the UK will always be predisposed to providing all the money it currently does. I remember reading the Guardian poll that said a majority of those surveyed thought NI cost the UK too much money, and they would be happy to see it reduced or eliminated by it going back with the whole of Ireland.

As to it not being an issue, the Republicans are not going away any time soon, so the question of re-unification will continue long into the future. When the population of Catholic/Irish gets to a tipping point over there, it will be inevitable that a vote will be called. The Loyalists of course will not want it, but how they will react if it passes is another question all together. Hopefully by then they will be disarmed to help avoid any more bloodshed.
The ROI would have a Referendum for the people to vote as well so if the North ever voted yes (which I can't see happening) the ROI would have to vote yes as well. One of the reasons why the people in ROI might not agree to have Northern Ireland would be if there was a significant amount of Loyalists that would cause trouble. People in the Republic just don't want that sort of social unrest.

There are a lot of factors involved. I really think that on both sides of the border most people want stability and jobs. There are Republicans but the vast majority of people don't see it as a priority. People have free movement so there are no barriers going across the border. There is also cooperation on a lot of issues. There are a lot of sporting bodies that are all Ireland like rugby, golf, Gaelic football etc.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:27 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
We get much more out of being in the UK.

I don't think I would ever want to join ROI.
northern ireland is by far the least wealthy part of the uk , sure you have free healthcare etc but its not like northern ireland is a thriving economy overall

business in northern ireland greatly value relations with business in the republic of ireland , the border really doesnt exist to anywhere near the same extent when it comes to the economy , the economy of the republic of ireland has improved quite a bit in the past two years and if us voters can resist electing populist politicans who try and bribe us with our own money , we should do well going forward

id love to see the island united and a protestant influence in a country is always welcome , you are often more disciplined when it comes to running things

we could do with some presbyterian rigour and steadfastness

Old 10-25-2014, 09:29 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
The ROI would have a Referendum for the people to vote as well so if the North ever voted yes (which I can't see happening) the ROI would have to vote yes as well. One of the reasons why the people in ROI might not agree to have Northern Ireland would be if there was a significant amount of Loyalists that would cause trouble. People in the Republic just don't want that sort of social unrest.

There are a lot of factors involved. I really think that on both sides of the border most people want stability and jobs. There are Republicans but the vast majority of people don't see it as a priority. People have free movement so there are no barriers going across the border. There is also cooperation on a lot of issues. There are a lot of sporting bodies that are all Ireland like rugby, golf, Gaelic football etc.
protestants very rarely play gaelic games , not that i care about that , i much prefer soccer myself but soccer fans in northern ireland tend to be quite hostile to the republic of ireland , i imagine most catholics in northern ireland support the republic of ireland soccer team

Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
protestants very rarely play gaelic games , not that i care about that , i much prefer soccer myself but soccer fans in northern ireland tend to be quite hostile to the republic of ireland , i imagine most catholics in northern ireland support the republic of ireland soccer team

It is funny you should mention that because when I went to Croke Park they talked of limited participation of Protestants in Hurling which I found a little odd.
I say that because over here across the pond, people have no attachment to a team based on political, ethnic, or religious affiliation. For instance the Boston Celtics have Irish symbols, but other than a large Irish population in MA, there is never talk of Catholic or Protestants as it relates to the team.

As to Croke Park, I did enjoy greatly the tour I took and gained an appreciation for the game.

http://www.crokepark.ie/

`

Old 10-27-2014, 03:26 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,868 times
How is that odd? They don't consider themselves Irish at all.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is funny you should mention that because when I went to Croke Park they talked of limited participation of Protestants in Hurling which I found a little odd.
I say that because over here across the pond, people have no attachment to a team based on political, ethnic, or religious affiliation. For instance the Boston Celtics have Irish symbols, but other than a large Irish population in MA, there is never talk of Catholic or Protestants as it relates to the team.

As to Croke Park, I did enjoy greatly the tour I took and gained an appreciation for the game.

http://www.crokepark.ie/

`
I suppose that is because Boston Celtics is just a name. I'm presuming it could possibly have Irish origin ?? but in the US people of all ethnic and religious persuasions could join this team.

In Ireland Gaelic sports like hurling and football are very old Irish games and the Protestants in NI wouldn't consider them part of their heritage. As Summerwhale said they don't consider themselves Irish. You might know the history already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom