Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 06:24 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,916,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Easily the craziest skyline transformations in North America, I'd even say historical and it's not even close to being done, that's the crazy part.
It really isn't and I think there is a push now for more housing which inevitably will mean more highrises. Isn't just Toronto - Montreal is now really changing a lot. It reminds me of Toronto 15 years ago and I don't think it is going to stop either. I think metro Vancouver is also going to change massively. All CAD cities are changing rapidly and as much as we have housing issues etc - long term I think the growth trajectory for Canada is strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 06:39 PM

3,975 posts, read 5,789,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In the context of North America it is hard to deny NYC. I like Toronto and Chicago about evenly. Some angles I prefer Chicago but others I prefer T.O. It is subjective stuff - objectively though, the writing is on the wall that Toronto in the not too distant future will exceed Chicago numerically in terms of skycraper numbers and I really think the gap won't be closed for decades. Chicago just doesn't have the same growth projections and those are likely going to continue in Toronto's favour.

Yeah QC it would look out of place. maybe in a burb somewhere away from the historical stuff. Since the city is so old though, I would imagine it would have a lot of heritage protections and rightfully so.

Winnipeg definitely beats Hamilton for skyline - although Hamilton does have a pretty large pre WWII residential fabric. That said, Winnipegs is better. Hamilton will always be a satellite of Toronto even though it still has a decent urban presence on its own. Way better than Mississauga - which truly is just a big burb.

I do not think Manhattan is going to build much more. After Hudson Yards, they scarcely have any space left for more highrises. The area around Greenwich Village is bereft of skyscrapers because I believe it used to be swampland and cannot support tall, heavy buildings and heaven forbid they build anything inside Central Park! Any new highrise is likely going across the Hudson River into Jersey City and environs, across East River into Brooklyn, which is quickly gaining its own skyline, or to outer edge cities like White Plains. Chicago is sadly a declining city that likely won't see enormous growth anytime soon, that is until they right their economic and social ship again, and besides Chicagoland is so flat that developers will build in edge cities like Joliet and Naperville instead. Too bad, I actually think Chicago has a nicer skyline that New York because Windy City's highrises were built to fit harmoniously with each other rather than just blindly developed. I do not know much about Winnipeg at all so cannot comment there but Hamilton's skyline is such a major disappointment. I mean the view from the Mountain looking over Downtown and Lower City with Lake Ontario as a backdrop deserves a Pittsburgh level skyline but instead it falls far flat. Hamilton may have more charm than Mississauga but Mississauga has the prettier skyline. I also don't like Ottawa's skyline but understandably that city has a height restriction just like our national capital.

Old 10-03-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I do not think Manhattan is going to build much more. After Hudson Yards, they scarcely have any space left for more highrises. The area around Greenwich Village is bereft of skyscrapers because I believe it used to be swampland and cannot support tall, heavy buildings and heaven forbid they build anything inside Central Park! Any new highrise is likely going across the Hudson River into Jersey City and environs, across East River into Brooklyn, which is quickly gaining its own skyline, or to outer edge cities like White Plains. Chicago is sadly a declining city that likely won't see enormous growth anytime soon, that is until they right their economic and social ship again, and besides Chicagoland is so flat that developers will build in edge cities like Joliet and Naperville instead. Too bad, I actually think Chicago has a nicer skyline that New York because Windy City's highrises were built to fit harmoniously with each other rather than just blindly developed. I do not know much about Winnipeg at all so cannot comment there but Hamilton's skyline is such a major disappointment. I mean the view from the Mountain looking over Downtown and Lower City with Lake Ontario as a backdrop deserves a Pittsburgh level skyline but instead it falls far flat. Hamilton may have more charm than Mississauga but Mississauga has the prettier skyline. I also don't like Ottawa's skyline but understandably that city has a height restriction just like our national capital.
Yeah Manhattan doesn't have a lot more room for verticality. The latest batch of supertalls are very slim profiles with insane height to width ratio's knowns as the pencil supertalls. They are actually impressive in terms of engineering. They are a sign of the times for NYC. Toronto isn't there - yet but it might be. 3 Supertalls are now U/C in as you call it in the Queen city, but it would take a long long time for the DT core to catch up with Manhattan numerically and would take pretty sustained growth - decades and decades with NYC being relatively stagnant - it is possible. Chicago however is in reach right now. Toronto is sort of like what NYC was in the 20th century - huge growth on the thrust of heavy immigration.

It is amazing how Toronto has grown in the last 15 years. It would have been a pipe dream then to imagine that Toronto would in only 20 years outstrip the Windy city to take the number 2 skyscraper spot in N.A but here we are. Qualitatively however, it is hard to deny Chicago's impressive architectural pedigree. Toronto for those in the know has good cred itself (50's to 80's in particular) but Chicago is just so stately and obviously on another level architecturally. It is almost too perfect. Toronto is just well messier in its core form but it will just keep getting bigger and busier. It is ok - I think Canada can have one megacity

Old 10-03-2023, 08:48 PM

Meanwhile in Brampton...

https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/10/...y-parking-lot/

Old 10-03-2023, 10:28 PM

1,254 posts, read 518,105 times
Quote:
Did their turbans cause a blind spot or something??

Old 10-03-2023, 11:19 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,099,361 times
Doing so well there for awhile and then just had to go and put the feet in the mouth again. Sigh.

Old 10-04-2023, 08:08 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,680,148 times
Quote:
It really isn't and I think there is a push now for more housing which inevitably will mean more highrises. Isn't just Toronto - Montreal is now really changing a lot. It reminds me of Toronto 15 years ago and I don't think it is going to stop either. I think metro Vancouver is also going to change massively. All CAD cities are changing rapidly and as much as we have housing issues etc - long term I think the growth trajectory for Canada is strong.
Montreal is not quite there yet, there's been a lot of stagnation due to Plante's admin and the amount of red tape added. Covid iced so many office projects too or downsized residential. It would have to take a huge undertaking and a pro business government to get us back on track. With all the growth here recently, the balls been dropped so many times and it's getting frustrating.

Toronto is absolutely wild, I always laugh at the growth cause it's just unbelievable how much is getting built.

Vancouver is also getting bonkers, in a great way.

Whole country needs to fire off on all cylinders, we just need to reduce taxes and red tape asap. Too much demand, little supply.

Old 10-04-2023, 08:13 AM

1,254 posts, read 518,105 times
Quote:
Montreal is not quite there yet, there's been a lot of stagnation due to Plante's admin and the amount of red tape added.
MTL still has grown quite a bit though. It's been over a decade since i left MTL and from what I can see the skyline has added quite a few new buildings. It has done well in recent years. Specially considering there was bascially nothing going on when I lived there.

Also the construction of the REM is impressive, it was built quickly and on time for the most part. Other cities would do well to follow MTLs example on this.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Did their turbans cause a blind spot or something??
uggh Luis.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Montreal is not quite there yet, there's been a lot of stagnation due to Plante's admin and the amount of red tape added. Covid iced so many office projects too or downsized residential. It would have to take a huge undertaking and a pro business government to get us back on track. With all the growth here recently, the balls been dropped so many times and it's getting frustrating.

Toronto is absolutely wild, I always laugh at the growth cause it's just unbelievable how much is getting built.

Vancouver is also getting bonkers, in a great way.

Whole country needs to fire off on all cylinders, we just need to reduce taxes and red tape asap. Too much demand, little supply.
I'm not too aware of Plante and what she is doing in Montreal but just going off of what i've seen in last few years and quite a bit of development. The skyline has changed quite a bit. We'll see what Chow will do for T.O. The most left of centre Mayor in T.O in a long time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto