Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM

7,329 posts, read 4,121,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In general, a good life insurance policy might cover 1-2 years of income. So now, if the 4 were not bread winners, they must take a crash course in becoming one.
Company life insurance and personal life insurance is more than 1-2 years with the mortgage paid. And, by the time the money runs out, the children are in grade school. At that point, the mother can return to her work life before kids.

Quote:
I have had several direct reports at work who did successfully raise great children on their own. The first 3 were working for me in the mid 90s, and their kids are thriving, and living upper middle class lives now. Each mom was insistent on instilling great values in them, and each was one heck of a role model.
I'm willing to believe that each of your direct reports had a parent/sibling/both during those baby/toddler years. The only way to get through those years is with a support system. If you don't have a spouse, someone has to fill that position.

After my c-section, I six weeks of recovery before I was allowed to climb stairs or drive. It took four months before my child slept through the night. I cared nonstop for a sick child during pre-school/kindergarten when my child was exposed to germs for the first time.

All I can say is your company must have had a great maternity leave (like six months paid leave) and generous vacation/sick time in order for one person to raise a child on their own. If your company doesn't have those benefits, how did these women do it on their own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

34,017 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

I'm willing to believe that each of your direct reports had a parent/sibling/both during those baby/toddler years. The only way to get through those years is with a support system. If you don't have a spouse, someone has to fill that position.
Two did not have any family in the region. They still managed. Day care before kids entered school.

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Two did not have any family in the region. They still managed. Day care before kids entered school.
Well, daycare doesn't take sick children.

For kids whose first year of child care is during infancy, bouts of illness may be even more frequent. In fact, they may have as many as 8 to 12 more colds than a child cared for at home without exposure to siblings or other children.

So who cared for their sick babies?

Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Well, daycare doesn't take sick children.

For kids whose first year of child care is during infancy, bouts of illness may be even more frequent. In fact, they may have as many as 8 to 12 more colds than a child cared for at home without exposure to siblings or other children.

So who cared for their sick babies?
they had friends who on rare occasions jumped in. Both had superb work ethics, the kids did well, and show the same traits. The kids were rarely sick.

Old Today, 09:40 AM

Quote:
they had friends who on rare occasions jumped in. Both had superb work ethics, the kids did well, and show the same traits. The kids were rarely sick.
Obviously, you haven't had kids.

Kids being rarely sick - it's highly unusual! Not something that a parent can planned on.

In the OP's case, he has a toddler and another baby on the way. In this situation, there needs to be two parents.

Last edited by YorktownGal; Today at 11:07 AM..

Old Today, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Obviously, you haven't had kids.

Kids being rarely sick - it's highly unusual! Not something that a parent can planned on.

In the OP's case, he has a toddler and another baby on the way. In this situation, there needs to be two parents.
In his case, income struggles and poor timing to add a kid are the problems that must be solved ahead of anything else.

Tens of millions of working parents exist, and few have options beyond their household and day care, so most push on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships