Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 05:06 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
So you are saying your friend owns a house and has rented a room to someone and allowed that person to take over the house and make the rules? Weird. You don't have to yell at the dogs, just ignore them and don't pet them if it causes this crazy person so much stress he has to threaten you. Dogs are very sensitive and they probably ask you to pet them because they don't get any attention from their owner.
That's about how the home situation is. My friend bought the house and allowed this guy to move in which was supposed to be a temporary situation but now it's been over 10yrs. The roommate seemed fine until the last 2years. I do feel he has some mental health issues going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
A person threatening to call the police over it is unbalanced, but you feel free to antagonize people like that if that's your thing. A potentially volatile situation I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, people go ballistic over the simplest things anymore.
Excuse me?!? The roommate has no right to control everything that goes in his friend's home. My friend owns it, NOT him. If my friend says I can come over to visit, I will. Usually, we go out and do things instead of just staying at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It has nothing to do with grammar. It sounds like you're going over there uninvited to "hang out."

You didn't give me a straight answer when I asked whether this is the same person who didn't want you touching his car, but you implied that it was.

What led up to this? This stuff typically doesn't happen out of thin air.
No I don't. That would be weird. I only go to my friend's house with his permission for us hang out together.

Yes, this is the same person who didn't want me touching his car. I thought I do a random act of kindess and brush snow off his car. I only did it once. NEVER again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 05:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
If the guy's been there for 10 years, it's obviously working out on some level for the homeowner.

The tenant may have no right to control everything that goes on in the home, but if he's paying rent, he does have some rights concerning the common areas of the home. Maybe you don't understand how rentals work?

Quote:
Yes, this is the same person who didn't want me touching his car. I thought I do a random act of kindess and brush snow off his car. I only did it once. NEVER again.
In that thread, you claimed this person was your roommate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post

Roommate. I thought I was doing something nice for him.

Now he's your friend's roommate. Guy sure gets around.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:03 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If the guy's been there for 10 years, it's obviously working out on some level for the homeowner.

The tenant may have no right to control everything that goes on in the home, but if he's paying rent, he does have some rights concerning the common areas of the home. Maybe you don't understand how rentals work?

In that thread, you claimed this person was your roommate.

Now he's your friend's roommate. Guy sure gets around.
Interesting... I don't remember what I posted and don't feel like checking it... Move on... The dude was never my roommate. Thank God.

I do agree he has has some say since he's paying rent, even in the commons area that is shared like living room and kitchen.

I NEVER had a roommate so I wouldn't know.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:10 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:

Excuse me?!? The roommate has no right to control everything that goes in his friend's home. My friend owns it, NOT him. If my friend says I can come over to visit, I will. Usually, we go out and do things instead of just staying at home.
??? I wasn't commenting on whether or not you should visit your friend. I was responding to the poster who seems to think it's no big deal that the roomie is threatening you and that it's silly for you to refrain from petting the dogs.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:02 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Does ANYONE ever pet those poor dogs? Are they walked, exercised, taken to a dog park to run and play, properly fed, groomed, watered, and vetted? If not, they'd be better off rehomed. Dogs are pack animals (thank goodness they have each other) and need to give and receive affection.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:13 AM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Does ANYONE ever pet those poor dogs? Are they walked, exercised, taken to a dog park to run and play, properly fed, groomed, watered, and vetted? If not, they'd be better off rehomed. Dogs are pack animals (thank goodness they have each other) and need to give and receive affection.
Did the OP tell us that the dogs were being neglected?

Old 04-01-2024, 07:14 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Did the OP tell us that the dogs were being neglected?
OP said he was ordered not to pet the dogs when they come looking for affection and that his "friend" never pets them, either, but stays locked in his room.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:47 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
my friend just lets him get away with everything

I would stop going. If he doesn't like it, he can start standing up for himself.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
My friend's roommate isn't right in his mind. Recently, the roommate told my friend that he'd call the cops if I touch any of his 3 small dogs.

I asked my friend why??? No reason was given. I was like that's crazy talk... I NEVER done anything to harm his dogs. I can't help it if they come near me wanting my attention to be petted. I'm NOT gonna yell at them to GO AWAY if they come by me. That's not my nature. Those dogs aren't robots. I can't control what the dogs want to do around the house.

My friend doesn't really ever pets them. He stays in his room most of the time when at home. I told him that his roommate being a control freak making up b.s. just so I'd be scared to come over. The roommate has cameras around the house because he's paranoid about about his stuff.

I don't personally know anyone who works in law enforcement to ask them this question and what can I do to protect myself from false accussations.

I go over to my friend's house because he OWNS it and I don't really have anyone to hang out with. I'm a misfit.

I'm so upset and down about this. His roommate is a nightmare and my friend just lets him get away with everything.
Are they service dogs? If not then big whoop. Let him call the cops. That would be an interesting conversation. Unless you are hurting or irritating the dogs in some manner I don't see the harm. If I don't like the interaction between my dogs and company, I put the dogs up in a room. Be it either I sense they are uncomfortable with the dogs, or the dogs are uncomfortable with them or there are children about. I have recently asked guests not to roughhouse my one particular dog or encourage any of them to be on the stairs with people and explained that the dog gets too rough when roughhoused and the stair issue is a safety thing and I don't allow it.

What does he think the cops are going to do about you petting the dogs? Nothing.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:17 AM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
A dog deprived of affection IS being neglected, so I DO mean to "suggest" that. But thanks for your editorial advice!
Is it really your position that since the visiting OP was told not to pet the dogs, that the dogs are in fact being deprived of affection and neglected?

If so, that's quite a low bar of evidence to support a position. But OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships