Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 12:37 PM

118 posts, read 38,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's not an attack and I have nothing against the OP. It's pointing out something obvious that nobody else has the nerve to point out. It's not polite to use somebody else's house as a place to hang out all the time, it's making a convenience of someone who is being a good friend. OP needs to reciprocate and make it so that s/he is always welcome to visit the friend if OP needs a place to hang out.

You're really reaching with the assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 01:27 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post

I go over to my friend's house because he OWNS it and I don't really have anyone to hang out with. I'm a misfit.

I'm so upset and down about this. His roommate is a nightmare and my friend just lets him get away with everything.
Your friend is an idiot.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:29 PM

10,716 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
That room mate is most likely paying rent for him and his dogs to live there. If the room mate is paying rent then the room mate has certain rights in his rented residence/home that he is entitled to and is paying for, and that includes not touching the room mate's dogs. OP isn't paying rent to go hang out there, and you're right that the OP should be inviting her friend to meet with her and do things away from the residence.

Roommate's "rights" include controlling the dogs such that they don't interact with others, but not dictating behavior to invited guests.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:31 PM

10,716 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Well, no. OP doesn't have the footage... the roommate does. And I'm sure it would magically disappear or not be mentioned if it came down to it.

Who knows. Dog goes outside, scrapes itself on something or steps on something or gets in a fight with another animal, comes back in bleeding or limping or something, roommate accuses OP of causing the injury.

Leveling unfounded accusations against others is easy. Providing actual evidence supporting the allegations is something else entirely.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:32 PM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
Tell him to tell his dogs not to touch you.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:42 PM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
It's not an attack and I have nothing against the OP. It's pointing out something obvious that nobody else has the nerve to point out. It's not polite to use somebody else's house as a place to hang out all the time, it's making a convenience of someone who is being a good friend. OP needs to reciprocate and make it so that s/he is always welcome to visit the friend if OP needs a place to hang out.

As this is a roommate situation I'm gonna assume the parties involved are young. When I was young and lived in group houses I had friends stop by constantly. They were not required or expected to bring gifts or meals, just the beer they wanted to drink. That's a pretty standard arrangement when young people hang out.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:45 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Stop going there. Find a new place to hang out with your friend. I'm sure something will be on the news soon regarding this roommate of his

Old 03-30-2024, 01:46 PM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Well, no. OP doesn't have the footage... the roommate does. And I'm sure it would magically disappear or not be mentioned if it came down to it.

No if the idiot actually does call the police all the OP needs to do is tell the officer there are cameras and they can watch the video. Like a dash cam after an accident I'm sure if the officer took the charge seriously he/she would want to view the recording immediately to determine the next course of action.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:52 PM

11,418 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Easy solution. Keep your hands off his dogs. If they climb on you, tell the owner to please come get his dogs off you as you don't want them touching you.

Otherwise...

I am dying to see the criminal statute on dog petting? Felony Dog Stroking? Assault on a petted animal? Kidnapping?

You should pet the dogs at least once just to see what the cops say when they arrive. The cops will be on your side and lock up the owner for criminal insanity.

Old 03-30-2024, 02:10 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Just don't understand why this looney roomie can't keep his dogs with him. If he opts to retreat to another other room while you or other people visit, he should take his dogs along with him. If his rule only applies to you, that suggests you are part of the problem, no one else. But that's what a reasonable person would do. He obviously isn't reasonable. Of course, if you're there all the time that can create an unfair situation too. Maybe all parties need to adjust expectations and/or behavior.

OP your friend is the landlord, right? That comes with privileges as well as responsibilities. He can set the rules of tenancy. Does roomie have a lease or is it month to month tenancy? Hopefully there's something with formally agreed terms, not something flakey and toothless! The next time the rental agreement comes up for renewal he could give the roommate the appropriate notice required by that state's LL/tenant laws that pets are no longer permitted. If he has pets, he'll have to move out. Problem solved.

Until the lease can be modified, spend time somewhere else!

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-30-2024 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships