Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 10:36 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times

Advertisements

As far as I know, there's no crime in petting dogs.. I think the police would laugh if they were called.. I would just ignore him and keep petting the dogs if they come near you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 10:46 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
My friend's roommate isn't right in his mind. Recently, the roommate told my friend that he'd call the cops if I touch any of his 3 small dogs.

I asked my friend why??? No reason was given. I was like that's crazy talk... I NEVER done anything to harm his dogs. I can't help it if they come near me wanting my attention to be petted. I'm NOT gonna yell at them to GO AWAY if they come by me. That's not my nature. Those dogs aren't robots. I can't control what the dogs want to do around the house.

My friend doesn't really ever pets them. He stays in his room most of the time when at home. I told him that his roommate being a control freak making up b.s. just so I'd be scared to come over. The roommate has cameras around the house because he's paranoid about about his stuff.

I don't personally know anyone who works in law enforcement to ask them this question and what can I do to protect myself from false accussations.

I go over to my friend's house because he OWNS it and I don't really have anyone to hang out with. I'm a misfit.

I'm so upset and down about this. His roommate is a nightmare and my friend just lets him get away with everything.
Clearly the room mate doesn't like you for some reason if he really said that to your friend. If the room mate wants you to not touch his dogs he should have told you that himself. I think you should ask the room mate if he really said that to your friend.

Maybe your friend made up that story that the room mate said that. It kind of sounds as if your friend doesn't want you hanging out there as often as you do but is afraid to say so. So maybe he's using the room mate as an excuse to get you to not go over there too often.

Stop always going over to your friend's house to hang out. It doesn't matter if your friend owns the house or not and whoever owns it is beside the point. Maybe your friend and his room mate are both tired of you going over there to hang out. Most people don't like it when acquaintances use their house as a convenient place to hang out. Being a misfit isn't a good enough excuse to make a convenience of other people.

Do you take food and drinks and other offerings for them with you when you go there to hang out? If not, you should, it's the polite thing to do when you visit somebody's home, you bring stuff with you as a host gift, usually some kind of food.

If you really want to hang out with your friend because he's your friend and not just because he owns his house then invite your friend to go out with you and go somewhere else interesting instead of you using him and his house as a place to hang out. Use your imagination and suggest some interesting things for you to do together away from the house. Your friend needs to get out of his house and do some things that are interesting and recreational anyway if all he does is hang out in his room.

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-30-2024 at 11:04 AM..

Old 03-30-2024, 10:49 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You're in a very tough place. Your friend doesn't care enough to control his roommate in his own home that he owns.

I'd say don't touch his dogs.
They're little teacup morkies (Yorkie & Maltese mix) weighing about 4-5lbs. They're very friendly and LOVE human attention. The dogs have steps to have access getting onto the couch. So, they love coming by me for attention. Or standing on their hind legs excitedly wagging their tails wanting to be petted. Hard to ignore that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You have every right to be upset, this roommate is an idiot. If his dogs come up for some love what are you supposed to do? Shoo them away, is that what is really best for the dogs? When you hang out with your friend is the roommate in the living room with you as well? That would be uncomfortable. But you really have nothing to fear if he calls the police, you've got video proof that you didn't harm the dogs if it gets to that. I'd point this out to the idiot if he threatens to call the police again.

I lived in a ton of group houses when I was young, had countless roommates and I never had one like this thankfully. Your boy needs to move, I would never tolerate living in a home with cameras everywhere and a psycho roommate.
I would feel mean shooing them away and ignoring the sweet tiny dogs when they obviously want attention. When I hang out with my friend, the roommate AVOIDS both of us minding his business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You can help your reaction though. Just don't pet the dogs. Not worth the hassle of setting the whack job off and getting him upset. Not that the cops can do anything about you petting a dog, but the nutter might react in other, unexpected ways. Can your friend put the dogs away in another room before you come over?
I'll have to ask my friend to put the dog in another room or he needs to tell his looney toon roommate to do it before I come over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Let him call the police. What crime would they be investigating?

The dog owner is bluffing, he won’t call the police. And if he does, it’s highly unlikely that anything would come of it, as no crime is being committed.

If he doesn’t want you to touch the dogs, he needs to ensure that the dogs aren’t around you.
Exactlly!!! Problem solved. The roommate needs to put a gate up in another room so they can't come near me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
When does your lease expire i would leave.
I don't live there. Just visiting my friend. I only go there if I know my friend is home. Then the roommate typically leaves us alone.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:55 AM

103 posts, read 38,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Clearly the room mate doesn't like you for some reason if he really said that to your friend. If the room mate wants you to not touch his dogs he should have told you that himself. I think you should ask the room mate if he really said that to your friend.

Maybe your friend made up that story that the room mate said that. It kind of sounds as if your friend doesn't want you hanging out there as often as you do but is afraid to say so. So maybe he's using the room mate as an excuse to get you to not go over there too often.

Stop going over to your friend's house to hang out. It doesn't matter if your friend owns the house or not and whoever owns it is beside the point. Maybe your friend and his room mate are both tired of you going over there to hang out. Most people don't like it when acquaintances use their house as a convenient place to hang out. Being a misfit isn't a good enough excuse to make a convenience of other people.

Do you take food and drinks and other offerings for the with you when you go there to hang out? If not, you should, it's the polite thing to do when you visit somebody's home, you bring stuff with you as a host gift, usually some kind of food.

If you really want to hang out with your friend because he's your friend and not just because he owns his house then invite your friend to go out with you and go somewhere else interesting instead of you using him and his house as a place to hang out. Use your imagination and suggest some interesting things for you to do together away from the house. Your friend needs to get out of his house and do some things that are interesting and recreational anyway if all he does is hang out in his room.

Wow ... nice attack.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:01 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Turn on your phone cam vid, pat the poor ignored attention-seeking dogs who are just doing what's natural, if the fiend calls the cops show the cops the video--if they even come, I imagine they have more pressing business than some dement making a hysterical call about someone touching their dogs--and watch the cops shake their heads and refer the head case to the local psych hospital.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:08 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
When does your lease expire i would leave.
The OP visits a friend who owns the house.
The friend apparently isn't bothered by the situation, since he allows the man and three dogs to stay.
She needs to deal, or ask the friend to meet her outside the residence.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
Wow ... nice attack.
It's not an attack and I have nothing against the OP. It's pointing out something obvious that nobody else has the nerve to point out. It's not polite to use somebody else's house as a place to hang out all the time, it's making a convenience of someone who is being a good friend. OP needs to reciprocate and make it so that s/he is always welcome to visit the friend if OP needs a place to hang out.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The OP visits a friend who owns the house.
The friend apparently isn't bothered by the situation, since he allows the man and three dogs to stay.
She needs to deal, or ask the friend to meet her outside the residence.
That room mate is most likely paying rent for him and his dogs to live there. If the room mate is paying rent then the room mate has certain rights in his rented residence/home that he is entitled to and is paying for, and that includes not touching the room mate's dogs. OP isn't paying rent to go hang out there, and you're right that the OP should be inviting her friend to meet with her and do things away from the residence.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:42 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
But you really have nothing to fear if he calls the police, you've got video proof that you didn't harm the dogs if it gets to that. I'd point this out to the idiot if he threatens to call the police again.
Well, no. OP doesn't have the footage... the roommate does. And I'm sure it would magically disappear or not be mentioned if it came down to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Let him call the police. What crime would they be investigating?
Who knows. Dog goes outside, scrapes itself on something or steps on something or gets in a fight with another animal, comes back in bleeding or limping or something, roommate accuses OP of causing the injury.

Old 03-30-2024, 12:16 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Oh for Pete's sake, just stop touching the dogs. Problem solved. Well, at least that part of the problem solved. Just ignore the dogs.

Or maybe stop going over there and meet your friend elsewhere if you and the roommate keep having confrontations.

The only reason that people ever have roommates is to help with the cost of the housing. That roommate is helping your friend to pay the mortgage, so your friend is not going to kick him out because he is having issues getting along with someone who doesn't live there and who is not helping with the mortgage payment. It doesn't sound like our friend is having problems getting along with him.

It sounds unreasonable about the dogs, but I don't know what it is you are doing with the dogs. Maybe the roommate is justified in asking you to leave the dogs alone. Whatever it is, it doesn't matter. It is not your house and not your dogs. You have been asked to leave the dogs alone, so leave the dogs alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships