Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:24 PM

781 posts, read 2,629,440 times

Advertisements

As the Miller Hill Mall and Latest Stores threads continue to grow exponentially (along with interest from forum members), I thought it would be nice to provide photo updates every few days of our major construction projects. I'm not sure if this is in compliance with what this forum is intended for (didn't see anything in the TOS about this), but I thought people may find it interesting none-the-less for those that don't get to these parts of town often.

So I'll start with the Residence Inn, DECC and Texas Roadhouse projects.

DECC - 07/28/2009 | POV: Top floor of original DECC parking ramp

Residence Inn - 07/28/09 | POV: Cub Foods parking lot

Texas Roadhouse - 07/28/09 | POV: Olive Garden parking lot

I plan on adding a few more locations, and updating this once or twice a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 07:50 PM

36 posts, read 94,149 times
That is very cool. I live in Duluth but it is neat to see the pictures from a different view and also for people who dont live here. Keep them comin.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:05 AM

432 posts, read 1,121,002 times
Go to DECC.org. Click on construction update, they have a live cam of the arena construction. Also can anyone tell me if the VISI data center and VonJaro building is still going to be built or are they dead or on hold?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
Go to DECC.org. Click on construction update, they have a live cam of the arena construction. Also can anyone tell me if the VISI data center and VonJaro building is still going to be built or are they dead or on hold?
I honestly didn't know about that webcam for the DECC, thanks! I still think a high quality photo record over the months will be very cool though. Webcams have poor quality, and I think the placement of the camera in my DECC photo shows the site better.

As far as I know, the VISI data center is dead in the water. According to APEX, "APEX and Minnesota Power continue to target regional marketing efforts at several prospects in the data storage industry, including a number of single tenant and collocation facilities. The team is also working with local and state government officials to determine the scope of public sector data storage and collocation needs as well." So my bet is, no, VISI will not be locating here. Word is, talks with SMDC fell through; thus killing the project as they were one of the anchor tenants.

I haven't heard anything about the Vonjaro tower in a long time, and emails to the developer have gone unanswered. My assumption is that it's off the tracks and will only come back if the economy rebounds.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:30 PM

118 posts, read 316,570 times
I just got back from a week vacation in Duluth yesterday. Stayed in a beach house on Lake st. Had a great time. I found a Cub Food about 15 minutes away from where we were staying. I walked into the Whole Foods and the $7 half gallon of orange juice scared me out of there.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_MTB View Post
I walked into the Whole Foods and the $7 half gallon of orange juice scared me out of there.
Heh, yeah, Whole Foods Co-op has a tendency of doing that. I don't do most of my shopping there, but they do carry a lot of items you can't find otherwise. Plus, their breakfast and lunch buffets are great!

Old 07-31-2009, 02:58 AM

432 posts, read 1,121,002 times
I hope they use big tower cranes for the new arena!

Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
I hope they use big tower cranes for the new arena!
They had (have? I don't remember if it's still there) a big one labeled Knutson for building the ramp. I'm sure they'll use that or something similar on the arena itself.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:31 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,452,504 times
I think there will be a few big tower cranes. I would think at least two would be there at one time, possibly more. Mortenson used eight cranes at one time for an Arena down south that was about twice the size as ours.... so maybe we can get four!

Old 07-31-2009, 08:18 PM

Rather uninteresting update. Took a look at the Lakewalk Extension East construction and it looks like they've done quite a bit! The trail looks excellent if you wander in there a bit. I'm just wondering why so much land is cleared for a single trail. There's the trail on the left, then a road down the middle and another little road on the right. I'm assuming the road on the right is for construction purposes, but the road down the middle looks very flattened and permanent.

[edit]Could they be doing a dual path from here on out? Both walking and biking/rollerblading? That would be very cool, but also odd that the initial stretch to 36th was single path only.[/edit]

Lakewalk Extension East (36th - 40th) - 07/31/09 | POV: 36th Ave East

Last edited by aluminumpork; 07-31-2009 at 08:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth