Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:26 PM

781 posts, read 2,627,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Any info on what appears to be a new large building on Trinity Av ( Between the Mall and Home depot) theyre is a large construction project going up here, I only noticed it yesterday coming home from a store.
Its in the Ford car lot, quite large actually, but hane not noticed it before.
Sure you're not thinking of the Culvers? They are doing a lot of digging around the building, not sure what for. They're in the old Ford overflow lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,598,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumpork View Post
Sure you're not thinking of the Culvers? They are doing a lot of digging around the building, not sure what for. They're in the old Ford overflow lot.
Yes that is the location lots of digging, and perhaps new exterior of the building? Johnson, Wlson are the builders it looks like.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,598,540 times
Looks like Johnson, Wilson Construction Builders are making great progress on the site kitty corner from the Copper Top Church, on 53 and Messabi Ave.
More apartments in there??

Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,442 times
Clyde Park complex opens March 29

From DNT 2/22/10
"Now, don't all rush down there at once.
But the long-anticipated opening of the restaurant, brewpub, coffee shop and bakery at Clyde Park in Lincoln Park/West Duluth will be March 29.
Developer Alessandro Giuliani wants to have a "soft" opening so they can work out the kinks. The official grand opening will be sometime later.
The opening had been delayed more than two months, in part, to make sure the wood-burning ovens from France were in place and working properly. The restaurant will feature food cooked with those wood-burning ovens.The brewpub will served craft beer made on site as well as traditional brews.
Management has been hired. Chefs currently are testing food for the menu. A call for applications for wait staff, bartenders and other jobs will be announced soon, along with dates when applications will be accepted.
Guiliani said 54 full-time equivalents will be hired. With some of those positions part time, more people will actually be hired, he said.
The restaurant will serve pizzas and breads, pasta, pasties, hamburgers and more. Prices will be moderate, under $9 or lunches and under $14 for dinners.
Guiliani promises "simiple good food... all made from scratch."
The transformation of the 29,500 square-foot Clyde Iron Works production plant at 14 S. 29th Ave. W. cost $9.1 million. Athletic Republic, a new sports training center, opened in December in the remodeled complex.
The complex also will include an adaptable entertainment venue that can handle up to 1,500 people for concerts, conferences, trade shows and more.
The Duluth-Superior Symphony Orchestra will hold a gala fundraiser at Clyde Park on April 10.
"They will take up the whole place," Giuliani said."

Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 AM

432 posts, read 1,120,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
Clyde Park complex opens March 29

From DNT 2/22/10
"Now, don't all rush down there at once.
But the long-anticipated opening of the restaurant, brewpub, coffee shop and bakery at Clyde Park in Lincoln Park/West Duluth will be March 29.
Developer Alessandro Giuliani wants to have a "soft" opening so they can work out the kinks. The official grand opening will be sometime later.
The opening had been delayed more than two months, in part, to make sure the wood-burning ovens from France were in place and working properly. The restaurant will feature food cooked with those wood-burning ovens.The brewpub will served craft beer made on site as well as traditional brews.
Management has been hired. Chefs currently are testing food for the menu. A call for applications for wait staff, bartenders and other jobs will be announced soon, along with dates when applications will be accepted.
Guiliani said 54 full-time equivalents will be hired. With some of those positions part time, more people will actually be hired, he said.
The restaurant will serve pizzas and breads, pasta, pasties, hamburgers and more. Prices will be moderate, under $9 or lunches and under $14 for dinners.
Guiliani promises "simiple good food... all made from scratch."
The transformation of the 29,500 square-foot Clyde Iron Works production plant at 14 S. 29th Ave. W. cost $9.1 million. Athletic Republic, a new sports training center, opened in December in the remodeled complex.
The complex also will include an adaptable entertainment venue that can handle up to 1,500 people for concerts, conferences, trade shows and more.
The Duluth-Superior Symphony Orchestra will hold a gala fundraiser at Clyde Park on April 10.
"They will take up the whole place," Giuliani said."
Does anyone know if Clyde Park will still include a hotel?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
Does anyone know if Clyde Park will still include a hotel?
If you go to their website the plans still show that a hotel will be built right out front of the heritage center. I think the spot for the hotel looks kinda small from the freeway.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:27 AM

232 posts, read 735,899 times
This is a question about new construction, and I guess you'd have to have gone past here to notice it, but it just strikes me as odd - when walking up 34th Ave East, you come up to the very top of the Avenue and there's a path you can walk to that connects to the start of Arrowhead Road. Anyway, to the left of this path a HUGE house is being built - looks like a combination of a giant log cabin and a Blackwoods Restaurant - yet I've seen nobody moving in, checking on it, nothing. It's a HUGE house too...anyone know anything about this place?

Old 03-14-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
This is a question about new construction, and I guess you'd have to have gone past here to notice it, but it just strikes me as odd - when walking up 34th Ave East, you come up to the very top of the Avenue and there's a path you can walk to that connects to the start of Arrowhead Road. Anyway, to the left of this path a HUGE house is being built - looks like a combination of a giant log cabin and a Blackwoods Restaurant - yet I've seen nobody moving in, checking on it, nothing. It's a HUGE house too...anyone know anything about this place?
Is that the Tischer Creek Trail that runs down to Congdon Park School? I'll have to check it out. I drive past there quite a bit and haven't noticed any new construction.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 AM

Since I'm hanging around on this site today I figured I'd post as much 'dirt' as I could; I know that the Duluth YMCA's expansion and renovation project is well underway. The aerobics studio on the top floor (where the gymnastics center used to be) is completed. The fitness center is being expanded so it will include the entire second floor. The locker rooms are being fixed so there aren't like 4 different rooms. There will be a male and female locker room; as well as a family locker room for those with medcial conditions.

There had been talk of a skyway connection from the YMCA to the Beal Building which would then connect with the parking at the Holiday Inn (that would have brought in a ton of new members - the parking situation at the YMCA downtown is terrible and is a reason why many have quit and gone to SMDC's Fitness Center; only thing is that everyone and their Aunt Matilda goes there)...I think the Duluth YMCA had a member contribution goal of $4 million and they only got half of that, I imagine the skyway would have been the most expensive of all the projects so either that's not going to happen or is on the back burner for now.

IMO, I'd rather see the YMCA move out of downtown just for the sake of being able to cater to younger members who need to be near nature trails, hiking, a climbing wall, etc; I'm all for a downtown Y but it would make more sense then to have a 'Corporate YMCA' (like Milwaukee has downtown) and a Community Family YMCA that has the kids stuff and family stuff.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
Is that the Tischer Creek Trail that runs down to Congdon Park School? I'll have to check it out. I drive past there quite a bit and haven't noticed any new construction.
Hey NewCastle! I'll try to describe exactly where this house is at...as you're going up 34th Ave E from 4th Street, you go to the very top (you can turn off onto Ridgewood Road going in either direction which is near the very top. Then there's a house buried at the very, very top on the left hand side. There's a little trail that goes along side that house which will take you to Lakeview Drive, and eventually Arrowhead Road (lots of Woodland School students take this little path as well as pepople walking their dogs, etc). The house just seems out of place.

Oh yea and on another lovely note we have drug dealers on our block now. There's a pair of shoes hanging on the telephone wires outside of 1826 Vermilion Road (the cops have been parked outside down from there by the bushes for two weeks off and on watching the cars pull up, the kids from East HS coming in and leaving within 2 minutes, the tires screeching off, repeating itself every few minutes on a given day). Our block (Vermilion Road from Saint Marie Street up to Arrowhead Road) has changed for the worse over the last ten years. A lot of these houses are rentals with tenants who do not to well living in single family homes. We have had more police show up in the last ten years than the last 40 that my parents have owned our house. The people across from us were just terrible - the woman (from California) won some lawsuit (54 years old and never worked a day in her life) won a lawsuit, then claimed she had firbomyalgia and got SSI; every morning at 8 she had no problems driving over to the Mount Royal Bottle Shop to buy a LOT of alcohol and by mid-day the drunken fights, drunken suicide threats/attemps would start and it was just awful. Only good news is that while she could by that house outright, she could never afford to keep it up; she left last April (incidentally, I think that day I did a cartwheel).

I have no problem with young singles or families or whoever coming to the block as long as they aren't there to sit around and do drugs or get drunk or sell drugs to an easy target audience - the kids walking to and from Woodland Middle School and East High School; perfect location for a drug house for the kids who only are a mile away at school. I hope they nail the crap out of these guys who are dealing drugs on our block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth