Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:54 AM

14,494 posts, read 20,683,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeesc View Post
I believe Comporium needs competition, they don't have to work for their customers now.

Sony + Viacom August 16, 2013.
In a deal that may signal the start of a new era of competition for entrenched cable, since most households today have only a few choices for television service: whatever cable company serves their local area.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/16/bu...deal.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:21 AM

197 posts, read 278,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Sony + Viacom August 16, 2013.
In a deal that may signal the start of a new era of competition for entrenched cable, since most households today have only a few choices for television service: whatever cable company serves their local area.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/16/bu...deal.html?_r=0
From what I heard on another story, there is no way they will do this without the existing bundles. So it is just more of the same. Until channels allow ala-carte, the consumers will continue to be overpaying

Old 09-18-2014, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,902 times
Default Comporium

Comporium isn't a real communications company, they are only a billing company for city utilities like Rock Hill, Fort Mill and so on. If you do some research you will find that in Rock Hill it is Rock Hill telephone DBA doing business as Comporium communications.
The fees they charge is not inline with the service received. We only have DSL now and it goes out or drops out 20-30 times a day. I believe their servers are designed to drop off once a certain amount of data has been transferred. This is isn a way to curb paying high fees for the amount of data their customers are eating up. Let's face it everyone is streaming video, some may be downloading illegal videos. Perhaps if it didn't cost 200 per month for cable tv, telephone including long distance and DSL people could afford to pay for things they download illegally.

I had dropped my home phone service last year, our billing cycle is mid-month I called on the 3rd. They agreed to end my phone service; however, the CSR said a charge for phone service may show up on your first bill but it will be removed and credited prior to your next billing. after 3 billing cycles my past due balance on my account was over 100.00 this is for 3 months of telephone service I hadn't received since you always pay in advance. They threatened to shut off my DSL for non-payment. Wait a second my DSL bill was being paid I just didn't pay for the services that I was no longer receiving.Even after speaking to a supervisor I was told I had to pay this balance or else and they would credit my account within 60 days. Now were talking 5 months after canceling my home phone, having to pay for services not rendered had to wait two more months to receive a credit.

My next stop was the FCC I filed a formal complaint covering all the stops including the issue of a monopoly in this area. The response I received from the FCC stated that Comporium Communications isn;t a phone company so they couldn't investigate my claims. I further explained the issues and the fact that they sell yellow page ads and provide a telephone book to these areas. They did investigate: Comporium lied to the FCC and claimed the never charged my account for phone service I didn't receive, they don't even offer landline services and don't block other companies from servicing this area. They also denied the fact that they don't charge other communication companies for using their lines if they choose to. What was explained is the city is the phone carrier and they follow their rules on billing.

That would explain why the City of Rock Hill would pay 3 million dollars to pay for a parking garage for comporium's employees, or would it. Remember this was done in executive sessions and Rock Hill claims they didn't break any laws. One fact that may have been left out is the fact that the company overseeing the project is owned by an elected official in our district. Now that is against State law. Just because his son runs the operation doesn't take him off the owner of record. This is how the same people in this area of this country keep all the mont while there are starving families in the streets.

Rock Hill Electric just raised it's rates because they wanted too??? No approval needed. They are now earning a gross profit of around 8.4 cents per Kilowatt That is more than residents in the local co-ops pay per kilowatt. What do you get for this money, they offer "0" preventative maintenance, our power goes out at least twice a week with no explanation, clear weather, no wind; perhaps that saves them a few buck? IDK The City refuses to conduct and preventative maintenance they claim it's not cost efficient. SO we homeowners must trim trees around the power lines to prevent damage. We have telephone poles in town that should have been replace a decade ago and they are still standing. They will eventually fall during a storm and if enough damage is done a state of emergency the federal government will foot the bill and Rock hill pockets the money.
I previously mentioned the local co-ops offer lower rates for electric than the city does. The fact is the city belongs to an even larger co-op. Wouldn't you think they would be capable to offer at least competitive rate as Duke and York electric co-op? I don't think it requires much thought. The city of Rock Hill seems hell bent of taking more than it gives back to it's citizens daily. They even plant grass just so they have something to do, plus they just blow the grass into the street and let it go down the sewer drain which is illegal. If a resident is caught doing this they can be given a citation. So why don;t they lead by example and leave corruption to the gangsters and take care of the crime, start with the little things before they escalate to major problems. Now that's being proactive again maybe that's just not something this city in the South cares about.

Hate to live in this incorporated city!!! Too hard sell and property values keep falling due to 4 out of 10 homes on your street sell at auction.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:34 AM

15 posts, read 38,561 times
Better times, interesting information you've posted here. Some of what you've posted has me curious now since I live in Rock Hill. If you don't mind, where did you obtain all this information so I can do some further research? I agree about homes being too hard to sell here. My home has been for sale for nearly a year now. Lots of interest and lots of people come to see the house, but no buyers. We had two offers earlier this month, but they couldn't obtain financing for whatever reason. At least that's what I was told.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:55 PM

193 posts, read 634,069 times
Sorry, but Comporium is just the new name for the old Rock Hill Telephone Company. No tin foil hat needed.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:47 PM

197 posts, read 278,823 times
Comporium is simply Rock Hill Telephone, Rock Hill Cable, Fort Mill Telephone, and a few others. It has nothing to do with the city. Technically a competitor can come in, but they have to pay comporium for use of the existing poles/lines and that is not profitable. Obviously Comporium has land lines and they are indeed a communications company

For Electric rates, the city council approves those increases. And most of it is due to the consortium that owns the nuclear plant (Duke Energy is part owner) raising rates that are charged to the cities. I doubt it is much of a profit since the city has been absorbing most of the increases for the past few years.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,221 times
I just of had security for the house installed
three times they've been come out and tried to explain in rock Hill how to use the security
three months later and sitting not being used and I would like to find a legal way to contact Comporium To cancel and refund my investment that is not working
they say I owe three years that I have to pay which is insane
Would anybody contact me and let me know who to contact in the legal department of Comporium Tv Nc .
Thanks please reply tom mccarthy [mod cut - reply to Tom via DM].

Last edited by volosong; 11-25-2016 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: deleted personal contact information, reply via DM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties