Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 30,568 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a subdivision in the Ft. Mill / Indian Land area that allows pet chickens? (Not talking a farm at all... just 4-6 pet chickens.) Of course the houses would have to be on a bit more land, at least around 1/2 acre. I would *really* appreciate it if anyone knows about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 10:02 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeleigh View Post
Does anyone know of a subdivision in the Ft. Mill / Indian Land area that allows pet chickens? (Not talking a farm at all... just 4-6 pet chickens.) Of course the houses would have to be on a bit more land, at least around 1/2 acre. I would *really* appreciate it if anyone knows about this.
...oh sorry won't be able to help you with that one!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:11 AM

425 posts, read 1,570,334 times
I live in Whitegrove and have neighbor with two pet ducks. I am not sure if there would be a difference with chickens.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:22 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinthefamily View Post
I live in Whitegrove and have neighbor with two pet ducks. I am not sure if there would be a difference with chickens.
I would keep that quiet (about your neighbor with the 2 pet ducks )...according to Whitegrove's HOA...there is to be NO animals, livestock, or poultry permitted...other than dogs, cats, and other household pets.

If I was the OP and really wanted some chickens..I would look for some of the original homes in the area (that are Not within a subdivision...and have a bit of land to boot).

Old 07-11-2008, 01:07 PM

151 posts, read 570,813 times
In Indonesia, amongst other Asian countries, many families live with their poultry. Of course this is also a primary vector for bird flu, so I don't recommend you live with your chickens.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 AM

149 posts, read 581,285 times
Chickens? As pets? Do they make good pets? Hmmmm.... interesting.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 17,879 times
Well, I live in Olde Williamsburg, you are allowed to have livestock. I have chickens, ducks, and goats! There is no HOA and all of the neighbors love the animals! There is a few houses currently for sale in the neighborhood! If you have any questions let me know!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:12 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
That is a nice subdivision - 2 acre lots. Very established older [what 70's 80's] neighborhood - and the new bypass will NOT be going down Willams Road [one of the things/concerns that kept us from buying there when we did]

Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 AM

425 posts, read 1,570,334 times
Default ducks

Actually I am on the HOA board and they are considered pets so they are allowed. Oddly enough they are a lot less of a pain then barking dogs. I wish we had more ducks and less dogs it would certainly be more quiet. LOL- not that I am about to go out and me some ducks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I would keep that quiet (about your neighbor with the 2 pet ducks )...according to Whitegrove's HOA...there is to be NO animals, livestock, or poultry permitted...other than dogs, cats, and other household pets.

If I was the OP and really wanted some chickens..I would look for some of the original homes in the area (that are Not within a subdivision...and have a bit of land to boot).

Old 07-26-2008, 07:07 AM

7 posts, read 30,568 times
Thanks everyone!

I am very interested in Olde Williamsburg. I only know of one home for sale in that neighborhood right now, on Quailwood Dr. If anyone knows the other homes for sale please pm me w/ any info you have.

sixinthefamily -- I actually wondered about whether chickens could be considered "household pets." I don't see why not. The HOA rules in a *lot* of neighborhoods say something like: "No animals or poultry, except for household pets, shall be kept or maintained on lot." If my poultry is my household pet, can anyone make a stink about it? Does "household" imply they live in the house? Are "outdoor" cats allowed?

To the person who asked if chickens are good pets... a lot of people think they are the best! They require much less care than a dog, and they have the bonus of leaving you eggs to eat. BackYardChickens.com - Raise Chickens, Build Chicken Coops, Hatch Eggs has a lot of info if you're curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties