Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 AM

396 posts, read 977,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
That's exactly my point. Having your child vaccinated, to some people, is like playing roulette with your child's life and the future well being of your family. It is no small matter and should not be done lightly.
People NOT vaccinating their kids are also playing roulette with the entire population, thousands or millions of lives and the future well being of a much larger chunk of humanity, which should not be taken lightly either. I'd rather have the lesser of two evils if vaccines really do cause some type of harm in a small percent of people. That's not to say I want anything bad to happen to anyone, especially children, however - until there's definite proof vaccines harm anyone, more people have been saved by them. I'd love to hear what you'd say to a parent who lost their baby, which is a way worse cross to bear than a parent should ever have to, all because someone chose to not vaccinate their kid and they passed on some disease. I don't care if it's unwittingly - to me, that makes the parents of the non-vaccinated kid negligent and criminal.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plotzonit View Post
People NOT vaccinating their kids are also playing roulette with the entire population, thousands or millions of lives and the future well being of a much larger chunk of humanity, which should not be taken lightly either. I'd rather have the lesser of two evils if vaccines really do cause some type of harm in a small percent of people. That's not to say I want anything bad to happen to anyone, especially children, however - until there's definite proof vaccines harm anyone, more people have been saved by them. I'd love to hear what you'd say to a parent who lost their baby, which is a way worse cross to bear than a parent should ever have to, all because someone chose to not vaccinate their kid and they passed on some disease. I don't care if it's unwittingly - to me, that makes the parents of the non-vaccinated kid negligent and criminal.
Is society at large going to completely foot the bill for my autistic child? I don't think so. THat's my headache. Okay, then whether to vaccinate or not MUST be my choice.

Some kids are vaccinated and become ill anyway. Migrant populations are coming here constantly with people who are carriers. There are lots of opportunities for children to become ill other than merely the unvaccinated child sitting next to them in class.

If people are really that fearful of their children coming in contact with unvaccinated people, don't send them to church, don't bring them to museums or Disneyland or movies. They are going to be exposed to these things anyway.

Why not just isolate the suspect ingredients and make a safer vaccine?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,600,169 times
Quote:
That's exactly my point. Having your child vaccinated, to some people, is like playing roulette with your child's life and the future well being of your family. It is no small matter and should not be done lightly.

That's where doing research comes into play. The average person who makes a claim that a vaccine has triggered autism in their child, is making an assumption, or listening to other people who make assumptions. If they would bother to do research that goes beyond the realm of "well enough people said so, so it must be true, what do they have to gain!?," then they would see that enough studies have been done that confirm that vaccines play no role whatsoever in causing or triggering autism, and this unsubstanciated theory would die off. Instead, people do just enough to validate their assumptions, and then refuse to change their minds.

It would never dawn on these people that their autistic children may not yet have the ability to display the warning signs because they are too young to do so, and when they are old enough to do so, may be around the same time as they would start to get whatever vaccines are needed at that age.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM

595 posts, read 1,623,899 times
Quote:
Is society at large going to completely foot the bill for my autistic child? I don't think so. THat's my headache. Okay, then whether to vaccinate or not MUST be my choice.
If you haven't heard, the whole autism vaccine link was a lie:
Retracted autism study an 'elaborate fraud,' British journal finds - CNN.com

Don't let your ignorance endanger the lives of others.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
That's where doing research comes into play. The average person who makes a claim that a vaccine has triggered autism in their child, is making an assumption, or listening to other people who make assumptions. If they would bother to do research that goes beyond the realm of "well enough people said so, so it must be true, what do they have to gain!?," then they would see that enough studies have been done that confirm that vaccines play no role whatsoever in causing or triggering autism, and this unsubstanciated theory would die off. Instead, people do just enough to validate their assumptions, and then refuse to change their minds.

It would never dawn on these people that their autistic children may not yet have the ability to display the warning signs because they are too young to do so, and when they are old enough to do so, may be around the same time as they would start to get whatever vaccines are needed at that age.
The problem is if the claims are valid we don't know what to test for and if autism happens to so few of the population and we do not know the variables in these people, we will probably not include them in our testing, so the testing being done now can look fine and dandy and the vaccines can still be causing autism. Just repeating the same tests over and over might not be the way to do it.

If autism tends to show up at a certain age, then why do we request that those tests be given right before that age? It seems to me that asking that the vaccines be done a few years after that age might quickly show whether or not the vaccines were causing the condition. Or maybe there is a small window in a child's development in which an element in the vaccine may cause the disorder, so having the vaccine later on would totally prevent the problem.

I mean, there are greater minds than mine working on this problem, but they don't seem to be thinking of work arounds for this, which naturally further fuels the suspicions. Why not just reformulate the vaccines?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
If you haven't heard, the whole autism vaccine link was a lie:
Retracted autism study an 'elaborate fraud,' British journal finds - CNN.com

Don't let your ignorance endanger the lives of others.
This is old news, an entire year old. Nobody cited the study, did they? Have I missed something?

How many different immunities are covered by the vaccines given today?
Are healthy and well fed populations really all that susceptible to death from measles?

Last edited by goldengrain; 02-27-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 PM

396 posts, read 977,816 times
Quote:

Some kids are vaccinated and become ill anyway. Migrant populations are coming here constantly with people who are carriers. There are lots of opportunities for children to become ill other than merely the unvaccinated child sitting next to them in class.

If people are really that fearful of their children coming in contact with unvaccinated people, don't send them to church, don't bring them to museums or Disneyland or movies. They are going to be exposed to these things anyway.

Why not just isolate the suspect ingredients and make a safer vaccine?
Is society at large going to foot the funeral bill for the baby that dies when they come into contact with another child who was not immunized? Would society at large foot the bill for my own child if she had been born blind, with no limbs and damaged lungs (and God knows what else) when I contracted chicken pox during my pregnancy? History shows that vaccines can dramatically lessen the instances of disease. It's a given that, yes, people travel, people migrate here from other countries - but the majority of kids are immunized in our country. Why increase the chances of even more disease being spread by reducing the number of vaccinated individuals compared to those who are not. Yeah - we get exposed to things. That will always be a given. But as long as there is medicine and medical professionals producing vaccines, guess what - certain disease, though not all, CAN be controlled. In the 14th century, "The Black Death" (bubonic plague) is estimated to have killed 30–60 percent of Europe's population AND REDUCED THE WORLD POPULATION from an estimated 450 million to between 350 and 375 million (look it up). If there were a disease of that nature rapidly killing off the world population during our time, you'd be begging for a vaccine. And spare me that you wouldn't.

Now in regards to vaccine safety - I would 110% agree with you on that note. And my heart goes out to any and every parent who has a child with autism or other health issue(s). It's not fair. It's not right. And my prayers soulfully go out to families dealing with such issues. It bothers me more than you could possibly know to see people suffer both on the physical and emotional levels.

Your are passionate on your stance (as am I on mine) - and your opinion matters, however, as I said before - I'll stick with the lesser of two evils.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:12 PM

595 posts, read 1,623,899 times
Quote:
This is old news, an entire year old. Nobody cited the study, did they? Have I missed something?

How many different immunities are covered by the vaccines given today?
Are healthy and well fed populations really all that susceptible to death from measles?
Yes, normal healthy Americans can get the measles (especially if they are not vaccinated)
Measles outbreak from unvaccinated - USATODAY.com

There is only ONE study done in 1998 that said autism was caused by vaccines and it was found to be a complete fraud.

There have been hundreds of other studies since that say there is no link between autism and vaccines (Google them for yourself), so if you would rather believe one study done by a guy who was stripped of his medical license, than that is your choice. Just keep your unvaccinated kids inside and away from other people.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,976,131 times
Quote:
Is society at large going to completely foot the bill for my autistic child?
GG, do you have an autistic child? Was it caused by a vaccine or was the child born autistic?

Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
GG, do you have an autistic child? Was it caused by a vaccine or was the child born autistic?
My child is autistic and also rhetorical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties