Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:58 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,803,767 times

Advertisements

The belief that if the kids get vaccinated they will become autistic is not supported by any scientific basis! The vaccines are safe, and there is no evidence to support anything to the contrary by a REPUTABLE scientific source.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,981,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
The belief that if the kids get vaccinated they will become autistic is not supported by any scientific basis! The vaccines are safe, and there is no evidence to support anything to the contrary by a REPUTABLE scientific source.
I think most of us are aware of this, but on the other hand, the number of cases of people warning about what happened to their children after having the vaccination are probably more than mere statistics would allow for and they certainly are not profiting from spreading their stories around whereas some organizations that do have the money to fund such testing may.

I cannot fault parents for being careful concerning their children.

Why not just make safer vaccines? I am told that this is possible.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:35 AM

396 posts, read 977,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think most of us are aware of this, but on the other hand, the number of cases of people warning about what happened to their children after having the vaccination are probably more than mere statistics would allow for and they certainly are not profiting from spreading their stories around whereas some organizations that do have the money to fund such testing may.

I cannot fault parents for being careful concerning their children.

Why not just make safer vaccines? I am told that this is possible.
You know - of course people speak out when something goes wrong. This is with anything, not just vaccines. But think of the MILLIONS of kids who have vaccines and are unaffected and PROTECTED from disease. Yes - it's good that parents show concern and try to make educated decisions. But I still hold firm that ALL kids should be vaccinated, unless it is PROVEN it is not to their benefit (like I mentioned in a previous post, some kids are in poor health and vaccines WOULD harm them).

Old 02-26-2012, 02:52 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,973,525 times
My daughter works in the medical profession and when the mumps vaccine became available she had her son vaccinated. Her sister-in-law said no ... and others refused the vaccine. They had an outbreak of mumps at my grandson's school and he sailed through with no mumps.(Much to his dismay as he wanted to be out of school too!)

We have so many people entering the USA from other countries that do not have the vaccines ... Bird (Avian) Flu, AIDS, Green Monkey Disease, fire ants, killer bees ... all these things originated outside of the USA (didn't AIDS come from another country?) All we need is some visitor that is a carrier to bring in TB, polio, chicken pox and children without the vaccine would be in danger.

Is a baby born with autism or is autism coming from vaccines only? If the particular vaccine that parents think is causing the vaccine don't get it. It seems to me if the baby was perfectly normal and developed autism after the injection there would be loads of lawsuits against the pharmaceutical companies and docs.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:42 PM

261 posts, read 480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
It seems to me if the baby was perfectly normal and developed autism after the injection there would be loads of lawsuits against the pharmaceutical companies and docs.
There have been.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post

Is a baby born with autism or is autism coming from vaccines only? If the particular vaccine that parents think is causing the vaccine don't get it. It seems to me if the baby was perfectly normal and developed autism after the injection there would be loads of lawsuits against the pharmaceutical companies and docs.
From my very limited understanding the thing causing autism is in the preservative for the vaccine and there are other ways of making vaccines but it is more costly. Maybe the vaccines would have to be made in small batches and used quickly. So it appears to many that it is preferable/cheaper to have a small number of kids become autistic(after all, the parents and families pay for this problem) than make the more expensive vaccine.

Yes. That is the claim - that perfectly normal children, healthy, doctor certified, after having a shot is autistic for the rest of his/her life. A real nightmare. These people are not making money from the claims so I tend to believe them. Maybe their kids have a genetic quirk that the vaccine activates that would not have been activated in a normal life, I don't know. I don't believe these people are crazy, neither do I think they are the sort who had it in for the medical professions all along. I think they are telling us exactly what happened to them.

The government, I remember, was forcing pregnant women in the armed services to get certain shots which woman were swearing were harming the fetus. Women were punished because they refused to subject their babies to these vaccines. Some were forced to take the shots. I don't trust that just because we are told by authorities, many being well intentioned, that this is necessarily correct.

If there is a slight genetic fluke in some children that the shots are activating, that is where the research should be. I don't doubt that tests have proven otherwise, but if this is happening, how do we know what we are testing for?

My question might be - are vaccinated populations showing more occurrences of autism than non-vaccinated populations - given that the populations are matched for general health and similar environments? At least with a large study of this sort we would have a real indication that there is a problem.

I don't think much is known about autism. If we knew what mechanism caused it, we would know what is happening with the vaccines. I think, if I had a child, I would not vaccinate him/her or I would ask my doctor about the shots without those preservatives and pay extra. Frankly, poor people cannot afford to pay extra for such vaccines and I think that is where our attention should be now. If the government is recommending that all the 'herd' get vaccinated they should be distributing vaccines that they can assure us are safe. I think right now their testing may be being done incorrectly. We are just now touching the surface of genetic variations amongst us, after all.

Last edited by goldengrain; 02-26-2012 at 04:11 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
From my very limited understanding the thing causing autism is in the preservative for the vaccine and there are other ways of making vaccines but it is more costly. Maybe the vaccines would have to be made in small batches and used quickly. So it appears to many that it is preferable/cheaper to have a small number of kids become autistic(after all, the parents and families pay for this problem) than make the more expensive vaccine.
Over 10 years ago they stopped putting "Thimerosal" in vaccines as a preservative which was exposing children to higher levels of mercury as a response to studies. The higher levels were about 2 times the amount seen in a person who eats a lot of fish. Again, there is nothing to show that vaccines "cause autism". Here's another analogy....babies start to get their first teeth after they receive their first vaccinations do vaccines cause teeth to grow?

Old 02-26-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Over 10 years ago they stopped putting "Thimerosal" in vaccines as a preservative which was exposing children to higher levels of mercury as a response to studies. The higher levels were about 2 times the amount seen in a person who eats a lot of fish. Again, there is nothing to show that vaccines "cause autism". Here's another analogy....babies start to get their first teeth after they receive their first vaccinations do vaccines cause teeth to grow?
Please don't be insulting.
That's an inane comment that is below the level of this discussion and insulting to all the parents with suffering children who are concerned with this issue.
IO get the impression that you are really intelligent enough to know better.
Again, I would like to see a large controlled study of matched populations in similar environments who did and did not vaccinate their kids and see if there is a larger incidence of autism in the vaccinated group.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:41 PM

I'm not trying to be insulting but asking for a study to disprove something that has not been showed except for people speculating I think is wasteful. Do a Google search on what it takes to get a drug or vaccine approved by the FDA, there's been plenty of studies showing that vaccines are safe. Sure, there have been problems that have come up, but they are very few compared to the diseases that have been prevented.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to be insulting but asking for a study to disprove something that has not been showed except for people speculating I think is wasteful. Do a Google search on what it takes to get a drug or vaccine approved by the FDA, there's been plenty of studies showing that vaccines are safe. Sure, there have been problems that have come up, but they are very few compared to the diseases that have been prevented.
That's exactly my point. Having your child vaccinated, to some people, is like playing roulette with your child's life and the future well being of your family. It is no small matter and should not be done lightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties