Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 AM

261 posts, read 480,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotzonit View Post
Wow - I don't see where the original question asked for a "religious" exemption.
I feel it is obvious from the OP's question that they have neither a valid medical nor religious exemption reason or they would not be asking whether they would receive a "hard time" at the Dept. of Health.

If the OP had either a valid medial or religious reason they wouldn't have to worry about whether they would have a "hard time".

Seems like they just don't want to vaccinate their child(ren) and want to know whether they will have to actually provide proof of exemption or if someone will just sign the waiver.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM

396 posts, read 976,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin M View Post
The only type of exemption that can be obtained in SC besides a medical exemption which must be recommended by a doctor is a religious exemption so obviously that is what is being asked about.
OMG! How could I be so stupid? I mean, EVERYONE knows about the rules of exemptions! How could I not have known???

Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 PM

87 posts, read 207,144 times
Plotzonit- Sorry to offend you. I had assumed you had read the whole thread. The exemptions were included in the response by Nuke-64.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM

396 posts, read 976,929 times
Quote:
Plotzonit- Sorry to offend you. I had assumed you had read the whole thread. The exemptions were included in the response by Nuke-64.
Sorry Christin M - I'm just fired up about this topic in general because of what happened to me personally with chicken pox - which could be prevented for future generations if people would get all of their kids vaccinated! Didn't mean to take it out on you - it was unjustified. My sincerest apologies! It's kind of like driving in a car and yelling at everyone when you know you wouldn't do that if you were face to face. Well... then again with me...

Old 02-16-2012, 02:09 PM

87 posts, read 207,144 times
I understand Plotzonit and I am sorry about your ordeal with chicken pox during pregnancy. I apologize for being snippy. It's just so darn easy to do online sometimes without even realizing it!

I think may younger people need a history lesson on what life before vaccinations.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,799,251 times
I have been doing some research and have a few friends and neighbors who do not immunize their children and it floors me. My kids are vaccinated. Do you or do you not have to be vaccinated to enter into public school? Also, what about preschools or daycares? Don't they check? The response I get from people who don't vaccinate is pretty flippant where they say they will get by with a religious or medical exception and act like they're getting away with something. You're putting my child at risk and it's not right!

It seems to me shortsighted and irresponsible to not vaccinate and from what I read some peoples reasoning is based on a study that was later retracted about vaccines causing autism.

I don't get it.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:09 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I have been doing some research and have a few friends and neighbors who do not immunize their children and it floors me. My kids are vaccinated. Do you or do you not have to be vaccinated to enter into public school? Also, what about preschools or daycares? Don't they check? The response I get from people who don't vaccinate is pretty flippant where they say they will get by with a religious or medical exception and act like they're getting away with something. You're putting my child at risk and it's not right!

It seems to me shortsighted and irresponsible to not vaccinate and from what I read some peoples reasoning is based on a study that was later retracted about vaccines causing autism.

I don't get it.

The answer is actually pretty obvious. A good chunk of the general population is stupid. Be it for whatever reason, but for the most part, your average american isn't too bright. So, for example, if they hear someone talk about how vaccines give kids autism, instead of looking it up to get more info, and finding out the guy who led the charge was lying, they just assume thats correct, and refuse to vaccinate their kids.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:23 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,465 times
I believe I heard someone tell me that in some states, if your child has not been vaccinated and if your child infects another child and that child suffers a major health problem or even death, you as the parent of the unvaccinated child can be charged with a crime.

Every child should receive their vaccines. If my child became ill from being exposed to a child that wasn't poperly vaccinated because their parents were to ignorant to be responsible, I would sue those parents and push my health insurance company to do the same.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,964,222 times
Quote:
I understand Plotzonit and I am sorry about your ordeal with chicken pox during pregnancy. I apologize for being snippy. It's just so darn easy to do online sometimes without even realizing it!

I think may younger people need a history lesson on what life before vaccinations.
You are absolutely right ... the only vaccine when I was a kid and started to school was the small pox vaccination on the top of my arm. Then I had the mumps on both sides, chicken pox, whooping cough and back then two cases of the measles called the big measles and little measles. With each of these it would spread through the whole school.

Thank goodness for medical knowledge and advancements in medicine. I recall as a kid my aunt in an iron lung ... then too late for her I recall the mass polio vaccinations during the early days of the National Polio Immunization Program. The long lines and the sugar cube dropped in your mouth! The polio vaccine eliminated polio in most of the world.

Parents today can make their own decisions, according to whatever their state allows, but even at my age I do recall the suffering from the childhood diseases I had. I still carry a few chicken pox scars.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
Here's a recent article from the WSJ around doctors who refuse to service families refusing to vaccinate their children as they find it a hazard to other children in the waiting room. One family was refused by five practices and had to resort to seeing a family friend who would treat the child when necessary.

More Doctors 'Fire' Vaccine Refusers - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties