Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 10:01 AM

16,786 posts, read 49,380,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You got it wyoquilter, it's your turn.

Ames Monument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I few extra comments that I thought were interesting. The monument was designed by one of the best architects of that era, H.H. Richardson. It is 60' square at the base and 60' tall, possibly making it the largest pyramid in the US.
Clarification: Largest pyramid in the US at the time it was built. Excluding ancient earth mounds such as these. http://www.crystalinks.com/united_states.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Wow, I got it right. I was taking a guess here. I had the bridge narrowed down to the Sunlight Creek Bridge and the Dale Creek Trestle Bridge. The "of it's kind" part of your question made me try for the Dale Creek bridge first. After searching for info. on the Dale Creek Bridge I saw that Ames Monument was nearby, so I took a shot with that.

Okay, This one may be a bit easy:

A monument of sorts (actaully I believe it's more of a plaque) near Battle Lake commemorates what?
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this even though it would be an educated guess on my part. But I had to google for it pretty hard in order to come up with a clue. Originally I could not even find Battle Lake on any map. I am not sure if its considered OK to google for the answers to the questions here. So I'm going to wait and see if anyone else can answer it without googling for it.

My Google-fu is strong. Not all of us have a bunch of old Wyoming text books and literature on hand to refer to.

I wonder if ElkHunter could clarify his position on googling for answers in this thread? Personally I am finding it interesting and educational experience searching for the answers even when I don't have a clue to start with. I am learning a lot about Wyoming in the process.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,302,116 times
Quote:
I wonder if ElkHunter could clarify his position on googling for answers in this thread?
ElkHunter says, THIS.

Besides. How would we know how or where you got the data?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:33 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,883,630 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this even though it would be an educated guess on my part. But I had to google for it pretty hard in order to come up with a clue. Originally I could not even find Battle Lake on any map. I am not sure if its considered OK to google for the answers to the questions here. So I'm going to wait and see if anyone else can answer it without googling for it.

My Google-fu is strong. Not all of us have a bunch of old Wyoming text books and literature on hand to refer to.

I wonder if ElkHunter could clarify his position on googling for answers in this thread? Personally I am finding it interesting and educational experience searching for the answers even when I don't have a clue to start with. I am learning a lot about Wyoming in the process.
I have been using google quite a bit for my answers. I like you do not have a ton of literature or old WY text books laying around either. Heck I even google things to come up with questions. Some things I know either because I remember it from school, some I know because of the few books I have read and other stuff I know because of my grandma. But the majority of the stuff comes from google. It has been fun searching for questions and answers and I have been learning tons of interesting stuff that way.

So please people don't be afriad to use the internet to find answers or even questions to ask. GOOGLE to your heart's content.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
ElkHunter says, THIS.

Besides. How would we know how or where you got the data?
OK great. It would be hard to prove, but I'd still feel bad if it were frowned upon. I don't mind playing by the rules when I know what they are.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I have been using google quite a bit for my answers. I like you do not have a ton of literature or old WY text books laying around either. Heck I even google things to come up with questions. Some things I know either because I remember it from school, some I know because of the few books I have read and other stuff I know because of my grandma. But the majority of the stuff comes from google. It has been fun searching for questions and answers and I have been learning tons of interesting stuff that way.

So please people don't be afriad to use the internet to find answers or even questions to ask. GOOGLE to your heart's content.
Good, I agree. OK here goes:

Quote:
Okay, This one may be a bit easy:

A monument of sorts (actaully I believe it's more of a plaque) near Battle Lake commemorates what?
I did not find this too terribly easy. Took me forever to find Battle Lake. Google Maps could not find it, even though eventually it shows up on the map when I figured out I should look near Bridger Peak, in a remote part of southern Wyoming, far south of Rawlins. Welcome to Wyoming Places / Battle Lake (http://wiki.wyomingplaces.org/Battle-Lake - broken link)

That same website gave me the clue. I suspect the memorial plague has to do with "Thomas Edison, the inventor of the electric light", while fishing there, being inspired by "the frayed ends of a bamboo fishing rod" for "the idea for materials to use in the invention of the incandescent light".

I can't imagine any other reason for someone to put a plaque near Battle Lake, other then there was once an battle with indians there that gave the place its name.

Prior to this I had never heard of Battle Lake or that Thomas Edison ever fished anywhere in Wyoming.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:41 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,883,630 times
Quote:
Good, I agree. OK here goes:

I did not find this too terribly easy. Took me forever to find Battle Lake. Google Maps could not find it, even though eventually it shows up on the map when I figured out I should look near Bridger Peak, in a remote part of southern Wyoming, far south of Rawlins. Welcome to Wyoming Places / Battle Lake (http://wiki.wyomingplaces.org/Battle-Lake - broken link)

That same website gave me the clue. I suspect the memorial plague has to do with "Thomas Edison, the inventor of the electric light", while fishing there, being inspired by "the frayed ends of a bamboo fishing rod" for "the idea for materials to use in the invention of the incandescent light".

I can't imagine any other reason for someone to put a plaque near Battle Lake, other then there was once an battle with indians there that gave the place its name.

Prior to this I had never heard of Battle Lake or that Thomas Edison ever fished anywhere in Wyoming.
See you learned something new.

You are correct. The monument/plaque I was refering too is indeed to mark Thomas Edison's fishing trip and his discovery of using carbon as a filiment.

Now it is your turn.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:56 PM

I know, I love learning new stuff. OK here is something I just learned of while doing some of that other research.

The indian name for them when translated was "big head". What part of Wyoming was named after them and what was the indian name?

Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,363,253 times
Bighorn Mountains. The Absaroka name was ahsahta, meaning "big head" after the bighorn sheep found in them.

It's about time to go watch the rams butt each other. One can usually see them up close and personal at/near Custer State Park this time of the year. I saw these a few years ago along the road between the town of Custer and the park -- or maybe just inside the park.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM

WyoNewk you are correct! Your turn.

As a kid I recall seeing them on the West side of the Big Horn Mountains, on Sheep Mountain when we had outings in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming