Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,268,734 times

Advertisements

It made national headlines when this pilot landed at a Wyoming airport on July 31, 1979.

Who was the pilot and what was newsworthy about his visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 AM

215 posts, read 668,842 times
That would in Buffalo and the pilot's names was Lowell Ferguson I think and he landed a plane in there thinking he was landing in Sheridan and the runway was too small. I think they had a heck of time getting the plane out of there.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,268,734 times
That's right, jkb. He landed a Western Airlines Boeing 737. They lightened the plane a bit, mainly draining fuel, and flew it out a few days later. The tires had sunk into the tarmac a bit when he turned off the runway to taxi to the ramp.

Someone at the airport called the editor of the Buffalo Bulletin when it happened. The conversation went something like this:

"Jim, you might want to see this. A Western Airlines plane just landed out here."

"Western Airlines? You kidding?"

"Well, it had a big 'W' on the tail."

"You sure it wasn't a Winnebago?"

Your turn jkb.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Name the famous artist that was born in Wyoming in 1912 who was influenced by Pablo Picasso?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,142,064 times
I have not tried to look it up but I bet it was Jackson Pollock, born in Cody, Wyoming.

My first degree was in Fine Arts, I remember being so proud when I learned he was a Wyoming boy.

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-21-2009 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 PM

That is very good!!! I just learned that in looking for info for a question .

Old 09-21-2009, 04:48 PM

Sadly his work is probably not appreciated by many people in Wyoming. He is pretty "modern" to say the least.

OK here is the next one:

In 1902 something happened on Otter Creek that lead to the almost complete desertion of Buffalo, Wyoming. What was it?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:04 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,867,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Sadly his work is probably not appreciated by many people in Wyoming. He is pretty "modern" to say the least.

OK here is the next one:

In 1902 something happened on Otter Creek that lead to the almost complete desertion of Buffalo, Wyoming. What was it?
Wew! That took some digging, but I think I found the answer.

The discovery of the Lost Cabin Gold mine on August 17,1902 on Otter Creek caused an exodus of the people of Buffalo, WY who were hoping to strike it rich with all of the gold that was reported to be in the old mine. Prospectors had been searching for the mine after it's first discovery in 1869.

The story that I remember about the Lost Cabin mine was something like this: If I am remembering correctly) Two men discovered large veins of gold in the Big Horn Mountains in 1869 and were mining it out. One man was killed by indians and the other managed to escape the attack. However though he got lost enough that he was not able to find the mine again that he and his partner were mining out.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:27 AM

That is it! Oddly enough I can find no record follow up record to substantiate that they ever took any gold out of the Lost "Cabin" Gold Mine or the town of Arbach that the NY Times said was laid out at the foot of the bluff in which the mine was located. It could have been another hoax, the Lost Cabin Mine was claimed to have been found more then once in preceding years and was always somehow lost again.

LOST "CABIN" GOLD MINE AGAIN LOCATED.; Discovery of the Fabulously Ric... - Article Preview - The New York Times

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...6E9C946397D6CF

August 17, 1902 the NY Times reported that two men Burris and Sutton found the fabulously wealth and long-lost Cabin Gold Mine, located near Otter Creek, sixty miles from Buffalo. Burris and Sutton discovered the mine after searching for it for 12 years throughout the Big Horn Mountains. News of the discovery reached Buffalo Friday night, and by Saturday morning the exoduse began and by night 1,000 prospectors and miners had left Buffalo for the place.

Lore had it that miners named Gorham and Arbach originally found this mine in 1869 "but their party was attacked by indians and all but one was killed. This man escaped and returned to buffalo and organized a party, but died of heart failure before locating the mine."

The same article claims that the "assay returns show the rock to be fabulously rich". "Up and down the sides of the crevice rich carbonates were found. Numerous nugets of pure gold could be plainly seen, and which could be picked out with a penknife. More then $10, was taken out in this way in a space of nine square inches."

Further websearches turned up several other articles at the NYTimes website regarding other instances in the late 1800's in which people claimed to have found the mine, they were not substantiated.

--------
Other intersting accounts of the search for the Lost Cabin Mine

Battle, Rambler and Rudefeha Mines

http://ftp.rootsweb.ancestry.com/pub...esand16gms.txt

Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,867,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That is it! Oddly enough I can find no record follow up record to substantiate that they ever took any gold out of the Lost "Cabin" Gold Mine or the town of Arbach that the NY Times said was laid out at the foot of the bluff in which the mine was located. It could have been another hoax, the Lost Cabin Mine was claimed to have been found more then once in preceding years and was always somehow lost again.

LOST "CABIN" GOLD MINE AGAIN LOCATED.; Discovery of the Fabulously Ric... - Article Preview - The New York Times

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...6E9C946397D6CF

August 17, 1902 the NY Times reported that two men Burris and Sutton found the fabulously wealth and long-lost Cabin Gold Mine, located near Otter Creek, sixty miles from Buffalo. Burris and Sutton discovered the mine after searching for it for 12 years throughout the Big Horn Mountains. News of the discovery reached Buffalo Friday night, and by Saturday morning the exoduse began and by night 1,000 prospectors and miners had left Buffalo for the place.

Lore had it that miners named Gorham and Arbach originally found this mine in 1869 "but their party was attacked by indians and all but one was killed. This man escaped and returned to buffalo and organized a party, but died of heart failure before locating the mine."

The same article claims that the "assay returns show the rock to be fabulously rich". "Up and down the sides of the crevice rich carbonates were found. Numerous nugets of pure gold could be plainly seen, and which could be picked out with a penknife. More then $10, was taken out in this way in a space of nine square inches."

Further websearches turned up several other articles at the NYTimes website regarding other instances in the late 1800's in which people claimed to have found the mine, they were not substantiated.

--------
Other intersting accounts of the search for the Lost Cabin Mine

Battle, Rambler and Rudefeha Mines

http://ftp.rootsweb.ancestry.com/pub...esand16gms.txt

I wonder if there really was gold or a whole lot of it in the Lost Cabin mine, or if it was some dillusional story made up by the survivor of the indian attacks. (if there really was an indian attack that is.) You would think that after all these years if there really were large veins of gold and nuggets just waiting to be plucked out of the walls, someone would have surely found it.

Okay, This one might be an easy one, but it's getting harder to find the stumpers.

What is the name of the oldest standing building in WY? When was it built and where is located? (3 part question)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming