Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 10:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,089,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Okay, I have a couple of questions. One I'm sure you all will get rather quickly, but the other one is one I doubt most, if any, of you will know, so if anyone gets it I will truely be amazed.

The first question counts for your turn if you answer correctly, the second question will really show you know a lot about WY history and trivia and I will galdly bow at your feet.

1.) What is Isa Lake best known for?

2.) Who did all of the taxidermy work that was done in the late 1800's - early 1900's that was/is displayed in the Occidental Hotel in Buffalo, WY?
I think I can get the first half. Isa Lake is unusual because it drains into both the Pacific and the Atlantic?

Just can't find the second one. I've got 3 different books open and none of them say who did the Taxidermy work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:33 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,863,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I think I can get the first half. Isa Lake is unusual because it drains into both the Pacific and the Atlantic?

Just can't find the second one. I've got 3 different books open and none of them say who did the Taxidermy work.
Well you got the first question correct. Isa Lake drains both into the Pacific and the Atlantic. The West drainage goes to the Atlantic and the East drainage goes to the Pacific so everything drains/runs backwards.

As far as the second question goes, that is going to be a tough one. I only know it because it was my great great grandfather who was the taxidermist. He took up the occupation of taxidermy and photography in and around Buffalo after he lost a leg in a wagon accident. He also gaurded the couthouse against being attacked by the Texans during the Johnson County War.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:08 AM

This is going to be a tough one.

What year was the Post office established in Carneyville Wyoming and what happened to it?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
This is going to be a tough one.

What year was the Post office established in Carneyville Wyoming and what happened to it?
It was established in November of 1904 and in January of 1921 it became Kleenburn Post office and then was discontinued as a post office all together in August of 1933.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
It was established in November of 1904 and in January of 1921 it became Kleenburn Post office and then was discontinued as a post office all together in August of 1933.
Damnit man... I thought I had a tough one.

You got it! Good job. I figured by picking a town that was no longer there and had turned into another town that is no longer there, it would be tough. Silly me.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Damnit man... I thought I had a tough one.

You got it! Good job. I figured by picking a town that was no longer there and had turned into another town that is no longer there, it would be tough. Silly me.
Ha,ha, you forget that I live in Sheridan and I know a little something about the area between Ranchester and Sheridan.

Okay, What are the tallest buildings in WY? How tall are they and where are they located? (3 part question)

Old 09-07-2009, 09:56 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,597,469 times
Quote:
Ha,ha, you forget that I live in Sheridan and I know a little something about the area between Ranchester and Sheridan.

Okay, What are the tallest buildings in WY? How tall are they and where are they located? (3 part question)
According to some sources, Mcintire Hall and White Hall, at 200 feet tall, are the tallest buildings in Wyoming. They are residential units for students at the University of Wyoming in Laramie.

Other sources cite the Jim Bridger Power Plant as being the tallest building, though that would be the stacks they are referrring to. They are about twice as high as the dorms at UW, though I haven't been able to find the actual height in feet.
Edit: I forgot to mention that the power plant is near Rock Springs in Sweetwater County.

Last edited by jdavid93225; 09-07-2009 at 10:06 AM..

Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Mcintire Hall and White Hall, at 200 feet tall, are the tallest buildings in Wyoming. They are residential units for students at the University of Wyoming in Laramie.
What about the Jim Bridger Power Plant in Sweetwater County. 24 stories. It's the tallest building in the state.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,597,469 times
Quote:
What about the Jim Bridger Power Plant in Sweetwater County. 24 stories. It's the tallest building in the state.
Immediately after posting my original response, I realized this and edited my post, probably about the same time you posted this. You are correct, if you count "stacks" as buildings.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
According to some sources, Mcintire Hall and White Hall, at 200 feet tall, are the tallest buildings in Wyoming. They are residential units for students at the University of Wyoming in Laramie.

Other sources cite the Jim Bridger Power Plant as being the tallest building, though that would be the stacks they are referrring to. They are about twice as high as the dorms at UW, though I haven't been able to find the actual height in feet.
Edit: I forgot to mention that the power plant is near Rock Springs in Sweetwater County.
The Halls at UW are the buildings I was refering too. The Jim Bridger Power Plant is a structure and I think that it is even shorter than the Coast Guard antenna located near Gillette. It stands 700 feet tall.

Now it's your turn to ask away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming