Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
What about the Jim Bridger Power Plant in Sweetwater County. 24 stories. It's the tallest building in the state.
I would consider the power plant a structure and not really a building as it would be hard to live or have a business inside of a smokestack. I should have been more specific I guess with my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:47 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
The Halls at UW are the buildings I was refering too. The Jim Bridger Power Plant is a structure and I think that it is even shorter than the Coast Guard antenna located near Gillette. It stands 700 feet tall.

Now it's your turn to ask away.
Okay, here goes:

In the Wind River Canyon, there are a number of informational signs along the highway that have high numbers on them (in the hundreds of thousands). The question has two parts: what do the signs identify, and what do the numbers represent?

Old 09-07-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I would consider the power plant a structure and not really a building as it would be hard to live or have a business inside of a smokestack. I should have been more specific I guess with my question.
The stacks at the power plant could be like the chimney on a house. It's part of the building, even though it can't really be normally occupied. In that sense, since it's part of the building, it could count as the tallest in the state.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Okay, here goes:

In the Wind River Canyon, there are a number of informational signs along the highway that have high numbers on them (in the hundreds of thousands). The question has two parts: what do the signs identify, and what do the numbers represent?
Taking a guess here:

The signs identify various rocks found throughout the canyon and the numbers represent the ages of the rocks.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
The stacks at the power plant could be like the chimney on a house. It's part of the building, even though it can't really be normally occupied. In that sense, since it's part of the building, it could count as the tallest in the state.
Well, given that a thought, then I guess the Jim Bridger Power Plant would be the tallest building in WY. Either way you still answered the question correctly.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Taking a guess here:

The signs identify various rocks found throughout the canyon and the numbers represent the ages of the rocks.
Good guess! That is correct. The rock formations are identified by prehistoric period or age, and then the approximate age is shown in years.

Your turn!

Old 09-07-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Well, given that a thought, then I guess the Jim Bridger Power Plant would be the tallest building in WY. Either way you still answered the question correctly.
On the Power Plant issue, I think Elkhunter beat me to the punch, though, since he posted while I was still editing my first response to include it.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
On the Power Plant issue, I think Elkhunter beat me to the punch, though, since he posted while I was still editing my first response to include it.
No that's fine. I've been there and I remember the big building, but can't remember if the building is that big, or if it is the stack. I looked it up in the book and it said, "Tallest Building in Wyoming is the Jim Bridger Power Plant." So I'm not sure. Keep going, it'll be a while before I can think of something anyhow. haha

Edit - Wasn't the tallest building. Just went back to my reference and although it was talking about the tallest building, in the middle of the paragraph it changed to Tallest man made struture. So they probably are talking stack and all.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
No that's fine. I've been there and I remember the big building, but can't remember if the building is that big, or if it is the stack. I looked it up in the book and it said, "Tallest Building in Wyoming is the Jim Bridger Power Plant." So I'm not sure. Keep going, it'll be a while before I can think of something anyhow. haha

Edit - Wasn't the tallest building. Just went back to my reference and although it was talking about the tallest building, in the middle of the paragraph it changed to Tallest man made struture. So they probably are talking stack and all.
Well, the tallest man-made structure in Wyoming is an antenna in the Gillette area. This is info from Wikipedia:

Quote:
At Gillette, Wyoming there is a LORAN-C transmitter at 44°00'11" N and 105°37'24" W. Its aerial, a 213.36 metre high guyed radio mast, is the tallest structure in Wyoming.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Good guess! That is correct. The rock formations are identified by prehistoric period or age, and then the approximate age is shown in years.

Your turn!
I only took that guess because they have signs like that in the Big Horns so I thought maybe they did the same thing in the Wind River Canyon as well.

Okay: I know for sure that up in the Big Horns at most of the pull out spots there are signs that give information about various views and interests. The signs have artwork of what it is that you are viewing. (i.e Fallen City up Dayton Cane, and Shell Falls)

Name the artist who did the artwork on those signs.

I believe this artist has done all of the artwork on all of the signs around WY that give brief info about various spots of interest, but am not for sure, but I am for sure this artist did the artwork on the signs in the Big Horns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming