Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 08:05 PM

15 posts, read 55,451 times

Advertisements

We've been seriously thinking of making a move back West to be closer to family. I'm not interested in moving back to Denver but Cheyenne might be nice. I'm looking for a much better commute than here in Indianapolis(which is better than Denver, really). Also, I'm interested in getting 5-10 acres of land and not being too far from work. From everything I've seen thus far it seems Cheyenne may be a good fit. From what I've read, the schools seem good there and it still puts me fairly close to Salt Lake or Denver.

We used to drive by Cheyenne all the time growing up. We used I-80 like a milk run on our way to and from Salt Lake. I always liked the look of the prairie but I know many don't and think it fairly barren looking.

Offhand, does anyone know how the IT field is in Cheyenne? I did a salary comparison and it looks like homes are more expensive there and wages are less than where I currently live. That does concern me some. However, there might still be some good opportunities there.

We still aren't sure where we'll end up. Obviously, the job is the most important aspect in a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 12:18 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,214,278 times
While not able to speak comprehensively on the IT jobs/opportunities in Cheyenne, I do have a neighbor whose son is a recent IT graduate, presently working as a night cook at a truckstop restaurant.

He's been looking all around the Cheyenne area, and the only entry level degree IT jobs he's found here were in the $30-40K range.

In comparison, he's found similar job responsibilities/openings in Iowa (he looked there because they have family there) with starting salaries in the $70K range.

One of the problems I think you'll find with the Cheyenne salary/hiring market is that you're competing against a lot of AF retirees that are very capable and competent, and willing to work for a nominal income because they're simply looking for something to do to keep busy and supplement a retirement income.

Best of luck with your job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming