Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:54 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,301 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good BBQ place in Cheyenne?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
Best in town is not at any of the store front restaurants (esp the national chain restaurants), but from the wagon of a fellow that shows up at the Farmer's Market. He makes his own sauces, and has a big smoker wagon that he hauls around for catering and other events. Roy's B-B-Que, and he should be at the Winter Farmer's Market tomorrow at the old train depot, 10-2.

Otherwise, it's pretty much institutional fare ... (cr)Applebee's, which seems to have gone way downhill in the last couple of years, or the Texas Roadhouse or The Outback ... the latter two are inedible for me; way way too much salt and very inconsistent B-B-Que. Especially annoying when you order a "full rack" instead of a "half rack" portion and they serve two of the small half rack ends on the plate. Last time I was at the Roadhouse (two years ago, haven't gone back), they covered one of the half-racks with the other ... and the bottom "half rack" portion was smaller than my hand. I'd have been embarrassed to have served that if I owned a restaurant that supposedly specialized in this type of cooking, and the smaller rack had definitely been dried out in their cooking, then slathered with sauce.

On other fronts ... Sanford's used to have a decent 'que, but it's been awhile since I was last there and they'd changed their menu, not for the better. It seemed to me that the chef/kitchen direction was to cheapen up their portions and food prep, and the food was distinctly not up to what it had been previously.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,301 times
Thank you, sunsprit! I'll have to get to the Farmers Market next weekend! I ate at Sanfords for the first time last weekend... it was good compared to Applebee's, etc.. and the inside of that place is unreal.

BTW... the best BBQ I've had so far anywhere around here is Nordy's down in Fort Collins. Fantastic! Give it a try if you get down in that area.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Thank you, sunsprit! I'll have to get to the Farmers Market next weekend! I ate at Sanfords for the first time last weekend... it was good compared to Applebee's, etc.. and the inside of that place is unreal.

BTW... the best BBQ I've had so far anywhere around here is Nordy's down in Fort Collins. Fantastic! Give it a try if you get down in that area.
Won't happen next weekend, sorry ...

The next (and last of for this season) Cheyenne Winter Farmer's Market is Saturday, May 4th.

There will be a shut-down for awhile ... sorry, don't have the exact dates at this time ... and then the Cheyenne Tuesday Farmer's Market will open up for the season. The new location, if all the planning goes through, will be at the Frontier Mall parking lot area. Details to be announced soon, there should be radio spots on Cheyenne radio and announcements in the Cheyenne newspaper.

Glad you enjoyed Sanford's ... definitely a step up from the national chain restaurants in the area.
Try Steamboats and let us know what your opinion is there.

"best" BBQ in the region is to be found in Denver, but my old fav's ... Daddy Bruce's and Junior's are now both closed, so will have to research the area when I have time again down that way. Roy's in Cheyenne was definitely in their league, so we're not yet desperate for a fix. Brought home some of his stuff last Saturday, now in the freezer.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:40 PM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
"best" BBQ in the region is to be found in Denver,
I have to differ with you on that one, sunspirit. Mine is the best BBQ in the state. I've stopped even trying the stuff restaurants in the region try to foist off as edible BBQ.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I have to differ with you on that one, sunspirit. Mine is the best BBQ in the state. I've stopped even trying the stuff restaurants in the region try to foist off as edible BBQ.
Hey, barnDcalf, if yours is that good ... where can I obtain your product?

Is it served in a restaurant that I may call upon?

For sale at a Farmer's Market I can visit?

As a certifiable foodie, I'd certainly look forward to an opportunity to try "the best". I'd look forward to the opportunity to fly up your way and get some ... looking for any and all rib styles, brisket, pork roasts, sausages, game meats, and seafoods .... Walter's here in Cheyenne does a mean planked smoked salmon BBQ, and does other fish varieties from time to time, too.

or is this only your little secret passion and you're just bragging?

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-08-2013 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
or is this only your little secret passion and you're just bragging?

Pretty much!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Pretty much!
I guess that means we get to take your BBQ ... off the table ... for consideration as "the best".

Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 PM

154 posts, read 220,318 times
I love to eat BBQ restaurant that outside of southern states.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,452 times
Does anyplace in the state make barbecue ribs like they used to? I mean while cooking the ribs, brush on the sauce "while" cooking them. Not the smoke it some and splash on the sauce just before they shove it over to you. I would gladly make the trip anywhere including Billings, Denver or Rapid to get just one meal like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming