Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 10:54 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Met a couple from Aurora CO last summer. They started talking about their town, and were commiserating about how 20 years ago it was a very conservative town. They and their friends and neighbors just quietly lived their lives, not paying attention to how their town was changing, and then one day looked around and realized that their town had become a liberal hell hole. Aurora was one of the first towns last summer where BLM got the bright idea to chain police officers INSIDE the police station. Cans of gas were found a block away...................

We started talking about firearms they had, firearms their neighbors had, speculation about whether or not they could defend their homes if it all hit the fan (like it did across the country last summer and like how it could happen again this summer). My first thought was extreme sadness that this elderly couple had to even THINK about such things at this stage in their lives. My second thought was to tell them to look to their local government and law enforcement response (or non response) and if it was non-response (which has happened in many liberal towns across the country) to understand that they as citizens were on their own. And if they were on their own, to abandon the house and get out while they could.

At that point I gave them my contact info and let them know that if it all hit the fan, they could bug out to our place here in WY, so they at least had a safe place to carefully consider their next move. These were strangers to me, but we talked a long time and they were good people considering possibilities they had never considered before. And they were scared.

My points? 1. That citizens may or may not be able to count on their local governments to keep them safe. Political wokeness is more and more taking priority over the safety and security of law abiding citizens. 2. States can completely change in the blink of an eye if citizens are not paying attention. Look at CO. Look at VA. Texas better pay attention because it's heading for purple very very quickly.
Purple rain and purple haze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 06:43 AM

400 posts, read 455,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
hear a local 10,000 acre ranch just sold for $3000/ acre
That’s a lot of zeros.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:14 AM

256 posts, read 263,239 times
Quote:
My points? 1. That citizens may or may not be able to count on their local governments to keep them safe. Political wokeness is more and more taking priority over the safety and security of law abiding citizens. 2. States can completely change in the blink of an eye if citizens are not paying attention. Look at CO. Look at VA. Texas better pay attention because it's heading for purple very very quickly.
Growing up, my dad had businesses where he often had very large amounts of cash on his person and in our home. This is very many years ago and we lived rural, which was a very safe place to grow up. Our home was broken into at least twice that I remember. He always had weapons on himself and in the house and very accessible so nothing out of the ordinary even in our home today. The thought of calling any leo is very low priority back then and definitely now. The thought of relying on le for protection is quite hilarious. I think many in Wy have that same mentality. I have a hard time thinking the blatant riots, looting could happen in Wyoming as I don't see us putting up with that kind of behavior. Seems very odd that city folk would be more dependent on le given they live amongst all that crime for years. I completely agree that we need to pay attention as Wyoming has more rinos than conservatives and are tinting purple ourselves, imo. It's a never ending battle!

Old 05-08-2021, 10:54 AM

561 posts, read 438,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
Growing up, my dad had businesses where he often had very large amounts of cash on his person and in our home. This is very many years ago and we lived rural, which was a very safe place to grow up. Our home was broken into at least twice that I remember. He always had weapons on himself and in the house and very accessible so nothing out of the ordinary even in our home today. The thought of calling any leo is very low priority back then and definitely now. The thought of relying on le for protection is quite hilarious. I think many in Wy have that same mentality. I have a hard time thinking the blatant riots, looting could happen in Wyoming as I don't see us putting up with that kind of behavior. Seems very odd that city folk would be more dependent on le given they live amongst all that crime for years. I completely agree that we need to pay attention as Wyoming has more rinos than conservatives and are tinting purple ourselves, imo. It's a never ending battle!
I hope WY and the other states out that way don’t turn purple or blue. I really don’t... We all are responsible for our own safety, not LE. LE is literal, it is to enforce laws. Some individual LEOs are great and try to help the community but not all do. I like being in places were the people have the mindset I marked in bold from your post. WY is my kind of place.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:34 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
I hope WY and the other states out that way don’t turn purple or blue. I really don’t... We all are responsible for our own safety, not LE. LE is literal, it is to enforce laws. Some individual LEOs are great and try to help the community but not all do. I like being in places were the people have the mindset I marked in bold from your post. WY is my kind of place.
Cody has a LOT of former and retired LE. Including my husband. Most people here would consider themselves self-sufficient enough to care for their own protection. Most but not all. Most also have a high degree of respect for law enforcement (most but not all) and consider them to be what they are. Our friends and neighbors.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
If this past 16 months or so have taught me anything, it is just how fragile democracy is. Many folks I know here in WY are no longer simply voting for someone because they have an (R) behind their name, and have become very politically engaged. People are finally paying attention.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Cody has a LOT of former and retired LE. Including my husband. Most people here would consider themselves self-sufficient enough to care for their own protection. Most but not all. Most also have a high degree of respect for law enforcement (most but not all) and consider them to be what they are. Our friends and neighbors.
Former and retired LEOs make the best kind of friends and neighbors. At least they are not in the situation to have to choose to enforce unconstitutional laws anymore.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Former and retired LEOs make the best kind of friends and neighbors. At least they are not in the situation to have to choose to enforce unconstitutional laws anymore.
I've enjoyed our brief conversations on here. My family is straight up a law enforcement family. So are many others here in WY. You may find extreme exception taken with your POV should you decide to move to certain parts of this state.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I've enjoyed our brief conversations on here. My family is straight up a law enforcement family. So are many others here in WY. You may find extreme exception taken with your POV should you decide to move to certain parts of this state.
I hope you are not seeing my comments as anti-LE because they aren’t. I just pointed out a few things of note and mentioned people are ultimately in charge of their own safety. And LEOs are humans too so as such like with everyone else most people are good people but there are a small few bad apples. It’s a fact of life. I don’t let it bother me and I still go out of my way to say thank you to LEOs, first responders and service members in uniform by paying for their food or beverages when I encounter them. I come from both an LE and military family background so I get it I promise you.

Cheers!

Last edited by Mister Torgue; 05-11-2021 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming