Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:29 AM

992 posts, read 2,375,767 times

Advertisements

We've been here a week and a half, and have learned a LOT. People are very forthcoming with help and are willing to share their experiences. It's a trade off living here, but one I would not give up for anything. Powell has to be one of the cleanest towns I have ever seen! It is very clean and so easy to navigate. There is surprisingly a lot to do: drive in theater, bowling alley, movie theater, sports to watch, aquatic center, the Shoshone river a stone's throw away, lots of parks and just a 20 minute drive to Cody. But Cody is VERY crowded compared to Powell...lots of tourists.

We took the drive to Billings this past weekend to hit up Costco-very nice drive.

The scenery around Powell is lovely-heart mountain is just gorgeous and my daughter has a picture perfect view from her bedroom window.

I'm happy to share more about Powell....we learn more each day and have not had one disappointment.

I just have to get used to no one being in a hurry....I'm used to the get up and go mentality so I need to shake that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 05:41 PM

123 posts, read 263,833 times
YES.......we have lived in Powell since the last week of May and love it too!

Old 09-20-2014, 04:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,772 posts, read 58,219,184 times
I hope "The Merc" is surviving.

As a rural Co-op and Economic developer, I have a vested interest in this type of business ownership, but I KNOW it comes with much pain (People / members are not as easy to manage as strictly a business like trying to run a lifelong bake sale from the PTA!)

I have been through many co-op struggles, so I hope The Merc endures and can rise above personalities and commercial challenges.

Internet sales have made it really tough on my commercial tenants, I trust The Merc can find a niche to survive and continue to serve the community. (mounting tires seems to work for non-internet erosion!)
Merc to consolidate into one building
Powell mercantile serves as model for others

Gonna be pretty lonely on main street USA when we are all sitting at home waiting for UPS / Fed Ex.
(But it does make sense in many situations).

Good Luck, enjoy the community and keep reporting!
My last stay in Powell, I was camping at the park and got free breakfast from a community group that was there. I didn't tell them what / who was in the utility trailer... (My Dad in a casket...he wasn't eat'n much...) He wanted a Nebraska burial, and passed away in WA, so we took a road-trip to his favorite places. One of which was Powell, as his Ag Business from Colorado serviced Powell.
He got to enjoy a cattle drive on 14a a little later that day, and a tour around the Sheridan VA center, Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, Corn Palace... a perfect trip to wrap up many decades of service in the region.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:52 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,989,572 times
Welcome to Wyoming! You're living in one of the best areas of the state IMHO.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:37 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,226,445 times
I live in Cody but started teaching in Powell this year. I have to agree with everything the OP said about the town! What a great bunch of people I have met. Although I love Cody, Powell is much more "home townish". The school district & schools, kids (I am at the high school) and parents are awesome. The local businesses strongly support the schools. Great all-American town!

Old 10-16-2014, 01:25 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,261,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
I live in Cody but started teaching in Powell this year. I have to agree with everything the OP said about the town! What a great bunch of people I have met. Although I love Cody, Powell is much more "home townish". The school district & schools, kids (I am at the high school) and parents are awesome. The local businesses strongly support the schools. Great all-American town!
Hi georgiainwyo
Let us know how the winter drive is from Cody to Powell. Compared to last winter.
Glad you like your new school.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:28 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,226,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Hi georgiainwyo
Let us know how the winter drive is from Cody to Powell. Compared to last winter.
Glad you like your new school.
I will! I anticipate it being pretty easy compared to my 3 years in Meeteetse, especially last year. Not that the weather is so much worse from Cody to Meeteetse than Cody to Powell, but the terrain & roads are very different. To M was 32 miles of curves and a couple of big hills. It is pretty flat & straight heading to Powell. Also, WYDOT is just finishing the several years long road project that widened almost the entire 24 miles from C to P to a 5 lane highway. That is like an interstate/freeway to us! The only part that is not 5 lane is going over the Corbett bridge. My s-i-l is the project engineer for the job....I thanked him for spending the last 5 years building that road just for me😃!

Old 10-20-2014, 01:17 PM

992 posts, read 2,375,767 times
One of the coolest things is that my daughter plays sports for the middle school-we just finished volleyball and are now headed in to swimming. The kids travel around for their games and such so we get to see new places all of the time! We have been to Thermop, Meeteetse, Greybull, Cody, and Manderson. We absolutely love it here. Powell has to be one of the best kept secrets of Wyoming.

Georgia, you are right...this is a great All American town.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,115,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
One of the coolest things is that my daughter plays sports for the middle school-we just finished volleyball and are now headed in to swimming. The kids travel around for their games and such so we get to see new places all of the time! We have been to Thermop, Meeteetse, Greybull, Cody, and Manderson. We absolutely love it here. Powell has to be one of the best kept secrets of Wyoming.

Georgia, you are right...this is a great All American town.
Aw come on, Powell doesn't have anything on Tongue River. Wait til we compete. We don't have a pool for the swim/dive team, we just have a stock pond where we back a pickup up the the edge and the kids dive off the back. The swim team is given the incentive of whoever finishes last has to do the chores this evening. No track, so we make the kids chase cows for roundup.

Sooner or later, we'll compete. Hope to see you there. haha

Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,307,735 times
then add 4-H and FFA more State Travel , and State Fair. By the time the kids go to UW they will have a lot of friends and people there they all ready know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming