Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:18 PM

672 posts, read 906,731 times

Advertisements

It took us about 36 hours driving with making stops for food, bathroom, and nap breaks. We towed the car with the cats in it (2 carriers) and the windows opened about a quarter of the way. I tried water bottles attached to the carriers, but they wouldn't drink from them, so when we stopped I put their water bowls, and a little dry food, inside their carriers. They didnt eat only a few nibbles, but they did drink the water. I lined their carriers with wee wee pads and changed the wet pads when we stopped.

My "old man" (cat, not human) did much better than my girl cat. She howled and howled. He just slept. The weather was fairly cool until we hit Florida. We then stopped at truck rest stops and took them out of the car, still in their carriers, and put them with us under covered picnic tables. They seemed very happy to be there. It was nice and shady with a nice breeze. My male Maine Coone sat in his carrier mewing at the birds flying around.

After two days of being here, they have made themselves right at home and are back into their old routines of eating and sleeping.

As for myself, I must admit I am a bit battered. lol I have so many bruises from helping load/unload furniture and boxes. When I was in New York, I almost never got a mosquito bite. Well, I guess "Southern Mosquitos" really like me because in just 2 days I am covered with bites. A couple have started to swell up a lot. I am going to have to get something for that and also something to try to keep them off me.

At any rate, we all survived the trip and now I can relax a bit and start the "easy" work of unpacking and then looking for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 01:49 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,068 times
Glad you made it safe. 36 hours of driving..shoot me!

Hope you get all unpacked soon and settled in. It will probably take 3 months before you can actually relax and feel like you are home.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:13 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,588,185 times
Default Welcome

Welcome to Florida.........36 hrs of driving......WOW thats alot to handle, but glad that you made it OK......take your time unpacking, take time to get to know the area, watch out for some crazy drivers, relax and enjoy your new temporary home, keep us up to date on your likes and dislikes and first impressions. ENJOY

Old 06-19-2007, 02:16 PM

165 posts, read 657,312 times
Where you move to Naples I know when I drove up to Philly it took 17 hours with short stops to grab a quick bite. Well best of luck to you. enjoy your stay here .

Old 06-19-2007, 02:24 PM

627 posts, read 2,850,645 times
So glad to hear that you ALL survived the ride!

Mosquitoes... that was your welcome wagon! LOL I call these skeeters 'No See -ums", I only see the bug bites!!! They are sneaky!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
I'm glad that you all made it!

It takes a bit of getting use to the bugs. Especially be careful for ant hills. I was forever stepping into them. Also, I swear by Deep Woods Off for the mosquitoes and no-see-ums.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:35 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,825 times
Straight-up ammonia for the mosquito bites. I drench a cotton ball and put it on each bite. Congratulations on your successful trip. Sounds like one heck of a move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Well, I guess "Southern Mosquitos" really like me because in just 2 days I am covered with bites. A couple have started to swell up a lot. I am going to have to get something for that and also something to try to keep them off me.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:39 PM

61 posts, read 401,113 times
A friend of mine who is a nurse told me about those little individually packaged alcohol wipes. You can buy a box of a million for .59 cents.

They are the closest thing to heaven when you've gotten a 'skeeter' bite, a 'no-see-um' (I've seen um) bite or step into a red ant pile. All those lovely Florida things that you easily forget about when you move further up north.

My kids love these little wipes, they use them all the time. I have some in the car, in my purse too.

Although some of the sprays work, we have never gotten in the habit of using them. Avon's Skin So Soft is a wonderful product too.

I'm glad you made it safely. When we move back to Florida we've got 3 cats to get there with their fur intact, plus 2 dogs, a hamster and a fish. Should be interesting. Your story was inspiring.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Congrats, Hockeymom.
I know what you mean about getting banged up during the move.
(I also know what you mean about finding a job.)
Glad your kitties made it through.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,269,134 times
Yay, HOckeymom! I leave next month, to be followed by hubby in Sept., who's driving down w/4 cats. I hope things go as well for us as they did for you. Enjoy your new home, lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: