Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:15 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times

Advertisements

I am moving in a week and a half from Long Island. I just found out my daughter cannot take the other cat to where she is moving. So, I will be taking my 16 year old, 20 lb, male Maine Coon also.

We are renting a 14 ft. UHaul truck and hitching my Elantra to the back. I am considering buying a large dog crate (up to 70 lb. dog), putting both of them in it, placing wee wee pads on the bottom tray in the crate, and attaching a water bottle to the side of the crate. I think it would be better not to try to feed them, or at the very least, just give them a bit of dry food when we stop.

My problem is I just don't know where to put them. I know it would be very uncomfortable, but would a crate this size fit on my lap in the cab part of the truck? Would it be possible to put them in the back seat of my car with the windows cracked open while it was being towed? I KNOW I cannot put them in the back of the truck with no A/C.

I would appreciate any advice. They are both highly nervous, and OLD, cats. My husband also gets very nervous driving with howling cats. That is also going to be a major factor in this too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 01:33 PM

68 posts, read 251,253 times
My wife and I moved to Florida , from Michigan . We put our two 16 year old cats in the back seat in a large pet carriar . Took them out and threw the carriar away about 200 miles down the road . They were quieter riding by my wifes feet , or in the back seat . Just carried them into the motel room and the car . lol carriar is misspelled .

Old 06-05-2007, 01:39 PM

183 posts, read 1,134,072 times
I am moving from NJ to Ocala this July. I also have 2 cats, plus 2 large dogs! Imagine our trip... I was going to put the cats in the dog crate we own, with food, water, and a litter box. We are driving our Jeep cherokee down there, so we will fold down the back seats and put the crate and dogs back there. I'm not looking forward to it. I was going to check with the vet about tranquilizers before we leave. It may make the the trip easier for all of us...

Old 06-05-2007, 02:12 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,417 times
We moved to FL with our 2 cats three years ago. They had their own individual small carriers. After a while we let them out and they snuggled at my feet as well. I brought the litter box in the car too but they didn't use it until we the hotel and we didn't stop until Georgia. Cats have an uncanny way of holding it when they are stressed out. I would be afraid to put them in your car being towed. It's getting really hot down here right now, even with the windows cracked. But, I'm sure they'd survive.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:26 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,960 times
Default Traveling with pets

When we moved down here with pets, husband drove the truck with my son as co-pilot, we put the dog and cat in the front with my son and they slept
on the floor, I think they felt more comfortable and weren't as nervous, after
all, pets get axious too.

Whatever you decide to do........be safe, have a good trip and we'll see ya soon.

And once your here, lets hear what you think of the area good, bad and ????

Good Luck on your move

Old 06-05-2007, 06:14 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher View Post
I am moving from NJ to Ocala this July. I also have 2 cats, plus 2 large dogs! Imagine our trip... I was going to put the cats in the dog crate we own, with food, water, and a litter box. We are driving our Jeep cherokee down there, so we will fold down the back seats and put the crate and dogs back there. I'm not looking forward to it. I was going to check with the vet about tranquilizers before we leave. It may make the the trip easier for all of us...
If you are going to drive down then using tranquilizers is very harsh. I have always used Gravol or a similar anti nausea (it makes them drowsy) they will still drink water this way. Ask your Vet for the correct amounts. The gravol will also prevent car sickness as well.

Please remember to be kind to your pets and put their needs above your own. To the person that recommended putting pets in a towed vehicle NEVER place animals in a car being towed, it is to dangerous. Would you put your children or grand kids in a situation like that?? Especially old pets as their systems can not handle such dramatic changes and stress like that.

Some people should just NOT own pets if they can not handle their crying, fussing etc....

Old 06-05-2007, 06:23 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
yeah ditch the carrier let them roam the car or truck and turn on some music so you can't hear them. Most of them fall asleep under a chair, the motor is comforting. I've tried carrying cases and what not and it just stresses them out more.

We move our kitty in a few weeks and he's just gonna have to cry and moan for the 20 minute drive

Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,582 times
As tempting as that would be to let them roam but, how fast and easy it would be for a pit stop to have a cat run out of the car. Try to catch a terrified cat running away!

I have read stories of people losing their pets this way. How sad would that be?

Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
have a cat harness and leash on them so they can't get away. Make sure you have a hold of the cat or leash before opening doors.

But once you move ...make sure you keep them inside for a long time so they don't wonder. We keep our guy inside all the time anyways.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:08 AM

183 posts, read 1,134,072 times
Thanks for all the tips. I only considered tranquilizers because I don't want the cats to be stressed out. One is about 16 y.o. and I am worried for her. I will check with my vet and I'm sure he will reccommend whatever is appropriate. Trust me, if anyone puts the needs of their pets above their own, it's my husband and I. Over the past few years, we have not had the best luck with pets... we always adopt, and animals with issues seem to be uor specialty... we've propbably spent more money on them then we have on us.. our dog had a $2,000 surgery for a luxating pattella (still paying that off) cat recently was hospitalized to the tune of $500 for a blockage in his bladder, etc. Plus, in moving to Ocala, they were our main concern, I am having my horse shipped down (I know he'll love it there) and having a rental with a yard is something we insisted on for our dogs. It's just getting everyone there that is stressful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: