Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 PM

9 posts, read 25,259 times

Advertisements

I would love some recent opinions on the Rock Springs area. I have been perusing the Wyoming forum for a couple of months now (as we are planning a move there in late June and I am gathering information) and I am a little concerned about some of the things I have read, and hope someone can elaborate a little

1. The drug activity in the area. Let me first state that we are moving from Memphis, so I am no stranger to crime and drugs on the news (unfortunately)..but in Memphis I know the parts of town to avoid, having lived here my whole life, so it has never been a huge issue for me. But some on the forum have made it sound like Rock Springs is really a hotbed of meth use, and that is a little concerning, as its a much smaller town than Memphis, and I will be spending a lot of time alone with my 4 children while my husband works. Is this still the case? Or is a lot of what I am reading an exaggeration?

2. The diversity of the area - again, coming from a large city, we are used to a lot of diversity and opinions and opportunities for cultural experiences. Having checked the demographics of the RS area, I can tell that there isn't a lot of that there. ..and thats ok too, I know every area is different, and we welcome different experiences. I just want to know how the attitudes are, I guess. My kids have always grown up being taught to respect everyone and not 'see color'. Are they going to be hearing a lot of negative racial things there? I know from living in the South that there are always going to be 'old-timers' who are vocal about minorities. I just want to know if that is the case with the majority of the people in RS. Or are the majority of the people fairly open-minded?

3. Is the shopping as bad as everyone says? I really don't require much. A good grocery store and maybe a mall within an hour? Will I be able to find that? I don't need "fancy".

4. Adjustment wise, on a personal level..will I need therapy? LOL. I have a Southern accent and sound like a hee-haw cast reject, vote Democrat, talk to everybody I meet, and really like my sweet tea I have never lived in the North and am worried about sticking out like a sore thumb. Should I just stick with smiling & nodding, and hope for the best? I've already been told to lie about my political feelings if someone asks lol. Also, what about the social scene? We are a fairly young couple and on the rare (very rare with 4 kids) chances that we get a free night, we like to hit up the little bars, and I was just wondering what that was like in the area.

I am very excited about the move! I love new experiences, and new people, and want my kids to see that there is more to the United States than just the 'bible belt', and I want them to live somewhere where there isn't a Starbucks every 200 feet, or a homeless vagrant cussing at them while they walk downtown. Any advice or answers will be extremely helpful and I thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:53 PM

117 posts, read 526,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grneyedgirl View Post
1. The drug activity in the area. Let me first state that we are moving from Memphis, so I am no stranger to crime and drugs on the news (unfortunately)..but in Memphis I know the parts of town to avoid, having lived here my whole life, so it has never been a huge issue for me. But some on the forum have made it sound like Rock Springs is really a hotbed of meth use, and that is a little concerning, as its a much smaller town than Memphis, and I will be spending a lot of time alone with my 4 children while my husband works. Is this still the case? Or is a lot of what I am reading an exaggeration?
A lot of the drug activity is localized within certain career types. This is not to mean for a second everyone in said career types is a user, just that the general populace has a much smaller base of users. Yes, it is there, but no, you probably won't have to see much of it if you don't go looking for it.

Quote:
2. The diversity of the area - again, coming from a large city, we are used to a lot of diversity and opinions and opportunities for cultural experiences. Having checked the demographics of the RS area, I can tell that there isn't a lot of that there. ..and thats ok too, I know every area is different, and we welcome different experiences. I just want to know how the attitudes are, I guess. My kids have always grown up being taught to respect everyone and not 'see color'. Are they going to be hearing a lot of negative racial things there? I know from living in the South that there are always going to be 'old-timers' who are vocal about minorities. I just want to know if that is the case with the majority of the people in RS. Or are the majority of the people fairly open-minded?
There are as many old-timers here as anywhere else. However, Wyoming is rather racially tolerant, much more so that I found Mississippi to be. The most common thing I have heard is confusion when children see people of color. Not because of negative stereotypes, but rather because they've either [never / only a few times] seen someone like that before.

Quote:
3. Is the shopping as bad as everyone says? I really don't require much. A good grocery store and maybe a mall within an hour? Will I be able to find that? I don't need "fancy".
There is a mall in Rock Springs. It is not what you define as a mall.

Directory | White Mountain Mall

If you desire more, you're in for a drive of at least 3 hours to Salt Lake City.

There are major chain grocers here, and they stock like any other national chain.

Quote:
4. Adjustment wise, on a personal level..will I need therapy? LOL. I have a Southern accent and sound like a hee-haw cast reject, vote Democrat, talk to everybody I meet, and really like my sweet tea I have never lived in the North and am worried about sticking out like a sore thumb. Should I just stick with smiling & nodding, and hope for the best? I've already been told to lie about my political feelings if someone asks lol. Also, what about the social scene? We are a fairly young couple and on the rare (very rare with 4 kids) chances that we get a free night, we like to hit up the little bars, and I was just wondering what that was like in the area.
You will stick out like a sore thumb, no reason to try to lie. However, I doubt it will be a negative experience for you. The nature of commerce around here brings in people from all over. We had a Democrat for Governor until 2011. Look at this:

List of Governors of Wyoming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty balanced. Liberal mindsets aren't exactly embraced here, but if you don't push your opinion, no one will be the wiser. What matters 10x more than what you vote as is whether you come here and either complain about how it is or try to push your political mindset. So long as you live and let live, and don't try to tell people how they're wrong / how to change, it shouldn't make a big impact on your life. Also, don't talk smack about guns, that's pretty universally frowned upon. Don't hold your breath for nightlife.

Quote:
I am very excited about the move! I love new experiences, and new people, and want my kids to see that there is more to the United States than just the 'bible belt', and I want them to live somewhere where there isn't a Starbucks every 200 feet, or a homeless vagrant cussing at them while they walk downtown.
There is exactly (1) Starbucks, and not much of a downtown for an angry vagrant to occupy. Wyoming is a great place to raise kids, so long as you follow the general flow of the state. If you don't identify with the ideals that the majority of the state has, you're going to have one hell of a time both trying to teach your kids your differing views and teaching your kids to properly deal with others with opposing views.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
I occasionally do some work in Rock Springs. Have for more than 15 years. While I can't claim to know what living there is like, I can give an opinion.

I have seen/dealt with less drug use in the last 3 years than previously. I have met more than a few people with roots in the south due to the energy work. Besides many of us have something of a drawl to our speech.

Personally, I have never found fewer stores to be a problem. I shop less. I save more. Less impulsive buying.

I enjoy talking politics and have found more than a few liberals to discuss things with. Yes, I'm pretty conservative, but many conservatives in Wyoming would be catagorized as libertarians in other places.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM

9 posts, read 25,259 times
Thank you both for your replies! I am definitely a "live and let live" kinda gal (and a gun lover, believe it or not! ha) ..so going with the flow won't be a problem. I figured i'd stick out a little. ..as long as no one looks at me like i'm the first in my family born without a tail, I can manage I'll learn to do any extensive shoe shopping online and do just fine then

Old 04-08-2013, 01:05 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
Quote:
Thank you both for your replies! I am definitely a "live and let live" kinda gal (and a gun lover, believe it or not! ha) ..so going with the flow won't be a problem. I figured i'd stick out a little. ..as long as no one looks at me like i'm the first in my family born without a tail, I can manage I'll learn to do any extensive shoe shopping online and do just fine then
I live in Cody & teach in Meeteetse. One of my best friends is a teacher who is from Texas AND like "bling"! She gets teased sometimes about her "southern" accent & words she uses, but it is all in fun! We tease her as much about the "bling" and her need to shop, especially for shoes.....so if anything at all, your friends may have some fun with you, but you certainly won't be treated negatively because of an accent or due to Southern roots!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM

293 posts, read 563,778 times
Quote:

Realistically, I think drugs are an issue in a lot of places and I wouldn't necessarily classify Rock Springs as a 'hotbed', but being an interstate town, you may find that it's more prevalent than average. But if you keep good track of your kids, have them involved in activities and hanging out with positive role models, then it shouldn't be an issue.

I've found the overall atmosphere to be pretty tolerant. You get a few clowns here and there, but that's true for just about anywhere. I also work for a school district, where people tend to be more progressive-minded and have been involved in a lot of diversity-related activities, so I'm also coming from that environment. Most towns also have a sizeable Hispanic population, so it's not completely vanilla by any means. I certainly don't think it will be any less tolerant than what you're already used to.

Yes. In Rock Springs, you'll find Wal-mart and other grocery chains, which is pretty good by Wyoming standards. They do have a 'mall', but it may be a step or two down from what you're used to. I haven't explored it in depth, so I can't speak much to that. For major retail shopping, you're looking at a 2+ hour drive to Park City or a 2 1/2 - 3hr drive to Salt Lake (depending on weather and your driving speed )

This area is about as far right as it gets on the political spectrum, so be prepared for that. I moved out here from the northeast and am as liberal as they come. That said, I try and make it a point to never bring up politics or other hot-button issues, save for close friends. It was definitely a cultural shift to hear the change in tone and I've overheard some (in my opinion) pretty outlandish things in casual conversation, but I just go into smile and nod mode. Like I said before, you'll get some cranky old-timers who'll say 'dont dare move here!', but on the whole, people are very friendly as long as you're not pushy and can employ the 'live and let live' mindset.

Socially, there isn't much in the way of organized activity, but if hole-in-the-wall bars are your thing, then you'll be alright. I've heard quite a variety of accents and drawls out here, so I don't know that you'll necessarily stick out in that regard. Overall, it sounds like you're approaching things with the right mindset, so I think you'll be ok.
(see bolded)

Old 04-09-2013, 02:24 PM

400 posts, read 949,701 times
I've lived in Rock Springs for nine years now and agree with all of the answers stated above.

If you frequent certian bars in town and hang out with a drinking crowd then you will be subject to drama, the dirt of RS and drug users. If you don't you won't. That has been my personal experience, it's all in who you put yourself around.

Mall, well, we have one, but it's nothing you're going to get excited about. Park City is a two hour drive and has a very large Tanger Outlet. Plus the added bonus of eating somewhere different. It's not a drive you want to make unless the weather and roads are clear, check wyo web cams before heading out anytime from September through May. Yes really :O)

There are other southerners here so you won't stand out as much as you think.

Adjustment wise you are in for a shock. An open mind and embracing what the area offers will help you through this. Many many many people have come here with the mind set that they would be here for one to three years and be moving on(myself included) and that mindset lends to concentrating on the negative attributes of the people and the area. Just as it would in any other place one moved to with that mindset. There is a lot of good here, and many great people that care about their community and their childrens futures here.

I was Rock Springs biggest hater at one time, and then I changed my life, changed my friends and had a changed of perspective and now I am happy to say that this is home. Any place is what you make it!

There are many sports, dance, music etc opportunities for kids here and they are taken very seriously. Especially the sports! We start our kiddos out in sports here at three years old.

There is a large reservoir south of town about thirty minutes away, depending on what part of it you go to. It's 90 miles long so a drive around it is a fun day trip to get acquainted and takes you into a little bit of Utah. People use the lake a lot around here for camping, boating, fishing, ice fishing and diving.

The saying here is we are 100 miles from anything, the humorous part to this is that we are the destination for those places. It's three hours to Laramie, and about the same to SLC once you reach where you're headed in the city. SLC does have big malls and shopping. And it's a nice weekend trip to get out of town. They have some sports offerings and a bit more culture.

Western Wyoming Community College here in RS does bring in performances of varied types quite often. And the students there put on performances as well.

Like we have all said, it is all about mindset.
The other saying here is(G rated version)
Welcome to Wyoming, quite frankly we don't give a dang how you did it back home!

And it rings true!

Old 04-09-2013, 02:30 PM

I forgot, your first summer here will be so amazingly nice for you, there is 'no humidity' here especially compared to Memphis. You will have fun chuckling at all of us when we are dying of heat stroke when it hits high eighties and low nineties. I thought everyone was nuts my first summer in Wyoming, and then I acclimated and became one of them.
We are set in the Red Desert also and get very little rain.

Our springs start late here and winter can show back up for a few days to a week during April and May to remind us that we are in Wyoming, for example today there is a feels like temp of -12 and the previous 24 hours brought a couple inches of snow and 40mph winds with gusts up to 60mph. It's not the norm but it can happen. If you are from an area that isn't considered windy at all you will notice it here. As far as Wyoming wind standards go we have it pretty good here though.

While the springs and summers get a slow start, we have days into the eighties into October here. So we complain about summer coming and then October hits and we're over it and ready for it to cool off.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 PM

89 posts, read 135,960 times
Quote:
Most people in Wyoming are not the Live and let live type. They will either completly ignore you or bad mouth you to everyone because of your accent. A friend of mine wanted to help the community in rock springs and did many volenteer jobs such as figher fighter. Helping poor people and elderly but then decided to run for a small county office and was totally blackballed by everyone he knew. Everyone knew him as the short latin guy with the accent. (He was from New York) Perhaps itallian 3 or 4 generations ago.
There is a reason that wyoming has such a low population. And it isnt the weather.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedcolton View Post
Most people in Wyoming are not the Live and let live type. They will either completly ignore you or bad mouth you to everyone because of your accent. A friend of mine wanted to help the community in rock springs and did many volenteer jobs such as figher fighter. Helping poor people and elderly but then decided to run for a small county office and was totally blackballed by everyone he knew. Everyone knew him as the short latin guy with the accent. (He was from New York) Perhaps itallian 3 or 4 generations ago.
There is a reason that wyoming has such a low population. And it isnt the weather.

Oh good grief!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming