Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 AM

6 posts, read 20,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I'm gonna get beat up by some of the good Wyoming folks, but I like Grand Junction better than Rock Springs. I like the views, the nearness of the mountains, the ease to visit east Utah with the Canyonlands, etc. Rock Springs has Flaming Gorge to the south, but it doesn't strike my fancy as much as the territory around Grand Junction.

BUT, a cut of 9k vs an increase of 10k is a no brainer economically. And I'm simply amazed that there would be that big a difference between Colorado and Wyoming--with Wyoming having a more difficult time with high paying jobs, generally, than Colorado (mostly because of tech jobs on the front range).

I've been all over Wyoming and Colorado both and I can't really explain why Rock Springs has just never clicked with me like other small cities / towns in Wyoming such as Laramie, Rawlins, Wheatland, Casper, Cody, Sheridan, even Riverton / Themopolis. Liking different things is what makes the world go around.

But the economics of your move is what would drive me. Bank the extra money she makes in Wyoming and use it toward some really good personal goal!

Good luck

I was shocked also, probably the biggest shock is our current state Louisiana, she is getting paid 42k a year and everyone knows Louisiana has hands down the worse ED in the country. I just thought for sure Colorado would of matched that or been near that, but its way off. Teaching is a hard enough profession and I couldnt ask her to take that kind of pay cut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
You are not getting much arguement out of me either. I'd take just about anything before I'd take Rock Springs. The surrounding area does have a rugged beauty to it, but I prefer mountains. The idea of banking some coin in Rock Springs is a good one.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I'm gonna get beat up by some of the good Wyoming folks, but I like Grand Junction better than Rock Springs. I like the views, the nearness of the mountains, the ease to visit east Utah with the Canyonlands, etc. Rock Springs has Flaming Gorge to the south, but it doesn't strike my fancy as much as the territory around Grand Junction.

BUT, a cut of 9k vs an increase of 10k is a no brainer economically. And I'm simply amazed that there would be that big a difference between Colorado and Wyoming--with Wyoming having a more difficult time with high paying jobs, generally, than Colorado (mostly because of tech jobs on the front range).

I've been all over Wyoming and Colorado both and I can't really explain why Rock Springs has just never clicked with me like other small cities / towns in Wyoming such as Laramie, Rawlins, Wheatland, Casper, Cody, Sheridan, even Riverton / Themopolis. Liking different things is what makes the world go around.

But the economics of your move is what would drive me. Bank the extra money she makes in Wyoming and use it toward some really good personal goal!

Good luck
You're entitled to your opinion and I doubt anyone will beat you up for not liking Rock Springs. You are absolutely right, that economics should drive a decision to move somewhere. Quality of life sucks if you're broke all the time.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:14 PM

I prefer mountains also, whats the nearest ones to rock springs

Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM

And the extra pay between us both is $30k more a year, it would be stupid to turn it down imo

Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akfugatt View Post
And the extra pay between us both is $30k more a year, it would be stupid to turn it down imo
Then why the original post seeking advice between the two locales?

If $30K additional income is what's driving the move, then what's the real concern that you would have about moving to RS?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Then why the original post seeking advice between the two locales?

If $30K additional income is what's driving the move, then what's the real concern that you would have about moving to RS?

More so the negative things I have scene about RS written here and other places, money isnt everything. I know that the town of RS probably isnt what we would want, and basically looking for advise within a hour circle of RS of better towns with less negatives

Old 01-12-2013, 06:51 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
I prefer mountains also, whats the nearest ones to rock springs
The nearest mountains are the Wind River Range and the closest area to them is Pinedale which is 98 miles away. You won't get closer to mountains in Rock Springs than this. If you really don't think you will like the town itself, I would recommend Green River. With the amount of money you're talking about you really can't say money isn't everything. It isn't everything but that's a huge amount to give up.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
More so the negative things I have scene about RS written here and other places, money isnt everything. I know that the town of RS probably isnt what we would want, and basically looking for advise within a hour circle of RS of better towns with less negatives
There's a big disconnect at work here, then ...

because an hour radius around RS presents effectively no changes

with the exception of Flaming Gorge Res for a recreation area, which sits out in a rather barren plains area.

Take a look at a map of the region, and you'll see that RS sits out by itself in a rather exposed location surrounded by not much else. Green River is adjacent, but for the most part, it's not particlarly different ...

Consider, too, that the locations accessible within an hour radius of RS in good weather present an entirely different scenario during the winter months. With the severity of the storms passing through the area, the low visibility and obscured roadway ... the commute to RS and home could be a persistently difficult set of circumstances.

IMO, if you already have ascertained that you "... know that the town of RS probably isn't what we would want", then be assured that living within an hour radius (in good weather) of RS isn't going to change what you're dealing with.

You acknowledge that "money isn't everything" .... and the choice you've got to head to GJ presents some much better options for the lifestyle, climate, access to recreation, services, etc. If your job potential yields an adequate income to live at the standard you'd like to have in GJ, then $30K more in RS will not bring a happier situation ... but that's just my opinion.

IMO, $30K wouldn't be enough money to attract me to RS over GJ if I had my basic needs of living met on what I was earning in GJ.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-12-2013 at 11:28 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 AM

40 posts, read 88,037 times
Hi guys - just wondering what is so wrong with Rock Springs compared to the other places in WY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming