Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,329 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking on here for a couple of weeks now, checking out posts and trying to digest the abundant information given here. It's all been really great and useful stuff.

My family and I are currently in Las Vegas, and I'm beginning some research on moving some place where we can acquire some land. Land here in Vegas is really expensive. I currently run a graphics and embroidery out of my home where we do vehicle wraps and graphics, banners, signs, decals, business cards, letter head, envelopes, post cards, custom apparel, embrdoidered goods, and more.

My wife is a manager in the retail sector at a larger mall here in Las Vegas. We also put on car and truck shows for local charities here in Vegas, and would like to continue that work where ever we move to.

Two criteria we have about our new location are being reasonably close to a Greek Orthodox Church and a drag strip. I understand there's Douglas Motorsports Park in Douglas, and there's a Greek Orthodox church in Casper.

Can anyone give me some input on nice areas to raise our daughter within 45 minutes to an hour drive to these places? Closer is good, too. How is business been there in those cities? What suburbs or rural areas should we consider to come visit? We don't need the hustle bustle of the big city, but would like some amentities and an opportunity to grow my business with new customers in Wyoming.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 03:46 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,294,158 times
no suburbs it is all rural out side of town

Old 09-16-2012, 04:21 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
What is "expensive land" to you? price range? budget?

Most rural land that has the amenities you seek re a potential client base population, retail shopping access, and the church you want will be starting at 40 acre parcels ....

Strongly advise you come visit the towns that have your church affiliation to see what presents out here.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Land here in Vegas runs between $100K and $200K for 1/2 acre parcel depending on where about in Vegas. That's for bare land, and then you'd be lucky if it has utilities on it. Most homes here in Vegas have Home Owner's Associations that prevent a resident from building an external shop on their property, working on cars in the garage/driveway, etc.

It's nearly impossible to find a home that meets our needs that isn't set in a HOA community, as Vegas has been built to suit the people that commute to work and do very little by way of home styled hobbies and work. When we do find something that fits our needs, the sellers are still asking for "pie in the sky" sales prices.

We're looking for between 3 and 5 acres, where we could have a 4000 sq ft home with a shop to house the business and the hot rods and race cars.

I'm looking at staying around the $200K - $250K range. I'm not sure if that's a doable number in Wyoming, but I thought it would be worth researching.

We are planning to visiting some neighboring states within the next few months, so we'll have to come in and do some sight seeing.

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:21 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac531 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Land here in Vegas runs between $100K and $200K for 1/2 acre parcel depending on where about in Vegas. That's for bare land, and then you'd be lucky if it has utilities on it. Most homes here in Vegas have Home Owner's Associations that prevent a resident from building an external shop on their property, working on cars in the garage/driveway, etc.

It's nearly impossible to find a home that meets our needs that isn't set in a HOA community, as Vegas has been built to suit the people that commute to work and do very little by way of home styled hobbies and work. When we do find something that fits our needs, the sellers are still asking for "pie in the sky" sales prices.

We're looking for between 3 and 5 acres, where we could have a 4000 sq ft home with a shop to house the business and the hot rods and race cars.

I'm looking at staying around the $200K - $250K range. I'm not sure if that's a doable number in Wyoming, but I thought it would be worth researching.

We are planning to visiting some neighboring states within the next few months, so we'll have to come in and do some sight seeing.

Thanks.
Close by the city areas that meet your requirements for a church and a population base for your business, I'd expect to pay $3,000-5,000 per acre for a 40 acre parcel, raw land only. You'll be developing your own domestic well and septic system. Power may be readily available in the area ... or it may not, so you'll be paying to bring that in to your parcel.

A 4,000 sq ft house is going to be a stick built home ... at $100 per square foot new construction costs, I think your budget expectations are a little off, even if you find ways to cut corners on the finish levels and quality to lower the cost psf. Add in a well/septic/power/communications, and you're looking at much more expenses.

Finding an existing rural property with a 4,000 sq ft home will be an exceptional find ... and not a $250K property. Even here in rural Cheyenne, this would be in the "executive" home level of pricing, more likely $500K. Up toward Sheridan, I'd expect it to be even more expensive.

Good plan to visit the areas and see what presents. Also worthwhile to come visit during Feb/Mar to see if the expectations for life around here meet your approval. Do also keep in mind that your type of home-based shop/business has established competition around here and you might want to scope out the competition before committing to a new business base.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Close by the city areas that meet your requirements for a church and a population base for your business, I'd expect to pay $3,000-5,000 per acre for a 40 acre parcel, raw land only. You'll be developing your own domestic well and septic system. Power may be readily available in the area ... or it may not, so you'll be paying to bring that in to your parcel.

A 4,000 sq ft house is going to be a stick built home ... at $100 per square foot new construction costs, I think your budget expectations are a little off, even if you find ways to cut corners on the finish levels and quality to lower the cost psf. Add in a well/septic/power/communications, and you're looking at much more expenses.

Finding an existing rural property with a 4,000 sq ft home will be an exceptional find ... and not a $250K property. Even here in rural Cheyenne, this would be in the "executive" home level of pricing, more likely $500K. Up toward Sheridan, I'd expect it to be even more expensive.

Good plan to visit the areas and see what presents. Also worthwhile to come visit during Feb/Mar to see if the expectations for life around here meet your approval. Do also keep in mind that your type of home-based shop/business has established competition around here and you might want to scope out the competition before committing to a new business base.
Thank you for the information Sunsprit. We'll do some visiting, etc to see what there is. I was hoping to find something built and ready, I wouldn't expect to build a new home with those requirements for the price I'm looking at. I also figured there would be competition in my business field, and would come to scope that out as well.

Thank you. I hope to come visit Wyoming very soon.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac531 View Post
Hello:

I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking on here for a couple of weeks now, checking out posts and trying to digest the abundant information given here. It's all been really great and useful stuff.

My family and I are currently in Las Vegas, and I'm beginning some research on moving some place where we can acquire some land. Land here in Vegas is really expensive. I currently run a graphics and embroidery out of my home where we do vehicle wraps and graphics, banners, signs, decals, business cards, letter head, envelopes, post cards, custom apparel, embrdoidered goods, and more.

My wife is a manager in the retail sector at a larger mall here in Las Vegas. We also put on car and truck shows for local charities here in Vegas, and would like to continue that work where ever we move to.

Two criteria we have about our new location are being reasonably close to a Greek Orthodox Church and a drag strip. I understand there's Douglas Motorsports Park in Douglas, and there's a Greek Orthodox church in Casper.

Can anyone give me some input on nice areas to raise our daughter within 45 minutes to an hour drive to these places? Closer is good, too. How is business been there in those cities? What suburbs or rural areas should we consider to come visit? We don't need the hustle bustle of the big city, but would like some amentities and an opportunity to grow my business with new customers in Wyoming.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Rock Springs has a Greek Orthodox Church and a racetrack. As was mentioned previously, there are no suburbs around the towns, although Rock Springs does have Green River about 15 miles away. Rock Springs however, is more than three hours from Casper if that is a town you are seriously thinking of. Douglas is also about 50 miles from Casper.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the information Wyo Eagle. Best I can tell, the track in Rock Springs has a Sand Drag Strip. We would need the asphalt 1/4 mile strip at Douglas. The only I mention Casper and Douglas is because of the church and the drag strip. Anywhere around there would be fine, as long as we'd be within a 45 minute or so drive to either location.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:52 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,236,703 times
Some land outside of Cheyenne can be bought for less than 3,000 an acre. For nearby drag strips... Don't think there is one in Cheyenne but Colorado has several (including Bandimere, which is world class) only an hour to two hours away. You can see those strips here...

COLORADO RACE TRACKS

Hope this helps!

Tyster

BTW... Hot Rodding is very popular in the area. :-)

Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,236,703 times
BTW, Cadillac.... If you are looking for a Greek Orthodox Church in a hot rodding culture... Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Christian Church is located in Cheyenne. It's a beautiful church. Their website can be found here...

home - Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church of Cheyenne, Wyoming

Hope this helps!

Tyster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming