Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:04 AM

57 posts, read 325,332 times

Advertisements

Will be headed to Wyoming to meet my guy's ( I'm divorced...) family later this year. Thinking about late summer/early fall although I'm not sure if this would be the best season for it. I'm from the Ozarks and have lived all over the south but never been to the northwest at all.
I'll be in the northeast corner of the state right near Montana and South Dakota. Am I in for a culture shock? Anything I need to make sure I see? Anything yall have to tell me would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:55 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,662,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMama View Post
Will be headed to Wyoming to meet my guy's ( I'm divorced...) family later this year. Thinking about late summer/early fall although I'm not sure if this would be the best season for it. I'm from the Ozarks and have lived all over the south but never been to the northwest at all.
I'll be in the northeast corner of the state right near Montana and South Dakota. Am I in for a culture shock? Anything I need to make sure I see? Anything yall have to tell me would be great!
That time of year sounds great. Get out and drive around and check out the country while you are out there. WY is beautiful, and different than anything you've ever seen before!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 PM

592 posts, read 2,245,477 times
Is that Crook County ? Nice area, enjoy the trip.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 AM

Yes, it is Crook county. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:16 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,786,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMama View Post

I'm from the Ozarks
Worry not Country Mama, you will find the people and the area very much like the Arkansas Ozarks. Only they really do have mountains - it makes our Ozarks look like little hills and they have more open land. Go see Devils Tower - it is sooo cool. You will enjoy that area. A southern gal will feel right at home.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Lady View Post
Worry not Country Mama, you will find the people and the area very much like the Arkansas Ozarks. Only they really do have mountains - it makes our Ozarks look like little hills and they have more open land. Go see Devils Tower - it is sooo cool. You will enjoy that area. A southern gal will feel right at home.
Thanks for that response. I've seen pictures of the Devils Tower and that's certainly on my must do list. Thanks

Old 03-07-2008, 03:52 PM

269 posts, read 829,950 times
I'd go in early fall-plums and apples will be ripe and they are delicous. Grow just about everywhere in that area, weather should be pleasant also- enjoy!

Old 03-08-2008, 07:51 PM

471 posts, read 1,509,773 times
Plums and apples. That makes me hungry... Yum.

Devil's Tower is really cool. Bring some good shoes so you can hike along the trails. They also have climbers and repellers that are fun to watch. (I hinted to my husband that I would like to train to do that sometime, the climbing part, and he didn't take it very well. Not the daring type and a bit on the protective side. I just might figure out how to do that anyway. I've climbed indoor rock climbing walls (which don't compare), but those ones at Devil's Tower seem almost vertical, and very ridged. Repelled only a few times outside. That is the easy part I think.)

You should definitely try to see Mt. Rushmore. It is awesome. Lots of bridge-like walking trails (so bring those good shoes.) Plus the weather will be on the warm side (hat? and sunblock)

There is also a cool reptile gardens around Mt. Rushmore too. I loved it. Great if you have kids. The alligators and kamens and such are a bit stinky though, just to warn you. About blew me away. But so neat to see the trainer feeding them.

And there's a nice drive we did in South Dakota there in a canyon type place that is nice to see the fall leaves. Not good about remembering exactly where that was. Around Spearfish?

Have fun!!

Last edited by emeraldsky; 03-08-2008 at 08:24 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 10:38 PM

Thanks for all the opinions yall! Lots of talk lately about marriage and moving( me to WY of course) so this trip will probably be spent deciding if I could live in WY. From the looks of the pics and all the posts I'm reading I'd say I'll be moving to WY one of these days.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:43 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,786,523 times
WHOA, Country Mama there is a huge difference between visiting and moving - not to mention the marriage issue. Consider the year round weather. The south doesn't get the serious cold weather that you would see in Wyoming. It is doable - but you have to know if you could handle the conditions. You won't have a culture shock but you could very well have a weather shock. Going in the fall may give you a hint. My husband knows what a lite weight I am when it comes to the snow/serious cold issue. He recommends I leave Wyoming sometime in December and return in March or April.

Marriage is highly overrated (IMO) unless you are having/raising children. Proceed with caution!!! I read somewhere that more than half of the couples in Wyoming that share a home are not married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming