Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:25 AM

11 posts, read 11,840 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I'm Emilie, french woman from Paris.
I travelled to Yellowstone National Park when I was 17, that's quite a while ago, and it was breathtaking. I like to tell to my friends that Wyoming is the most beautiful place in the World. To me, to what I've seen, it is. I've travelled a little bit, not as much as I would have dreamed of of course, but I never changed my mind. "There is no place like Wyoming."

I miss the USA so much, it's getting painful. As if I couldn't breathe. As an addiction. I dream about it night and day.
I'm planning to take my family to the USA for a month in summer 2014. Sounds far ahead to you? Just consider how much money such a trip can cost to a family of four... Especially flying from Europe.

Wyoming in a MUST SEE place on this tour. My daughters will be 4 and 6 years old. They have never ridden a horse. They don't speak english. But that's okay, I'll translate for them!
I am starting to consider a three days horse ride in the wild. It would be great with a guide, to show us the way, tell us stories and history, explain to us how to take care of the horses, advise us on how to avoid cougars and bears or else...
Have you ever heard of such a trip? Knowing any guide, any company that would provide such camping tours? Having ever heard of young children on such tours?

Any ideas of what's wonderful to do in Wyoming, people to meet, places to see, thing to watch, taste, try, experiment?

I would be more than happy if you shared your advice and experience with me.
And maybe, I can return the favor with advice about France, as though I doubt it's of any interest around here.

Anyway, looking forward to reading you all.
Cheers,
Emilie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 06:58 AM

3,662 posts, read 3,827,699 times
You are wise to start planning such a trip now.

There is a website that lists dude ranches in Wyoming. It is wyomingdra.com
Although you definitely want to see Yellowstone and that part of Wyoming, when looking for the ranching part of your vacation, may I suggest you consider places equally beautiful but in other areas. Often they are in less crowded parts, cost less, and have even more time to spend on guests and services.

The ranches who take guests in that part of the state do nicely, there are just options.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 AM

Hello,
absolutly! I am not actually planning on touring specifically Yellowstone. It may be a spot to check, but for the horsy-campy-wildery trip, I am ready to go just anywhere. Anywhere with trees, lakes, rivers, mountains and pure nature beauty.
I'm sure there are plenty of places to find this in Wyoming!
I'll check out these dude ranches. thanks for the hint. :-)

Emilie

Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 AM

232 posts, read 790,636 times
I am biased, because I will be moving there soon, but if I were you I would also look into Sublette County. The Wind River mountains, Bridger National forest and their various lakes and streams and peaks there are very picturesque. There are good resources on the internet, just google Pinedale, Wyoming, or Sublette County Wyoming and you'll find a bunch of stuff.

Oh and here is a very well done promotional video for the area...touches on some of the aspects of the area. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulM4F5KRPAI

Old 08-26-2012, 11:19 AM

10,455 posts, read 14,184,881 times
Places you may want to consider near Yellowstone are Jackson, Pinedale, and Cody. They have wilderness areas. Sheridan and Buffalo have the Bighorn Mountains. Those aren't as close to Yellowstone as the towns mentioned but the Bighorns I've heard are nice, I haven't spent time there. I would also consider taking the kids to Thermopolis with the hot springs. If you're not only strict on staying in Wyoming be sure to check out wilderness areas in Idaho and Montana that surround Yellowstone. If you plan on staying in hotels in Yellowstone or the surrounding areas be sure to book a few months in advance. They fill up fast.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
Oh and here is a very well done promotional video for the area...touches on some of the aspects of the area.
Sublette County Wyoming.mp4 - YouTube
Dances With Wolves Soundtrack...

MUST...GO...TO...THE...USA..NOW... @___@
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle
If you're not only strict on staying in Wyoming be sure to check out wilderness areas in Idaho and Montana that surround Yellowstone.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm googling those places now. I'm not strict on Wyoming, you are right. I was just figuring out those rocky mountains I'm dreaming of are actually also in Montana as you mentioned. I'll check it out as well.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie-la-vraie View Post
Dances With Wolves Soundtrack...

MUST...GO...TO...THE...USA..NOW... @___@

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm googling those places now. I'm not strict on Wyoming, you are right. I was just figuring out those rocky mountains I'm dreaming of are actually also in Montana as you mentioned. I'll check it out as well.
The Rockies go from Alaska to Arizona. Plenty of room to enjoy!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 PM

Sounds great. Alaska sales me dream as well.
I'll work it out with Wyoming for 2014.

I googled pinedale and this site [Mod cut] seems to be just what I want to do. Except for the fishing and hunting part. I don't feel like killing anything on my family vacation. ^__^
I wonder how bearable (spell?) it is to go on the 3 days horseriding backpacking camping trip when you are a 4 years old girl...

And then, We'll visit the Mountain Man Museum ("Davy, Davy Crockett...") and watch some rodeos, and go country dancing, and check out thermopolis and the hot springs, and take millions of pictures, and have a thought for the pionners who must have been breathtaken when waking up everymorning on this pure, untouched scenery, wondering just how far more west is there to go...

I'm looking forward to 2014, and starting to saving some money.
I wonder if many europeans visit those places. I expect them to rather go to DisneyWorld and NYC?

Last edited by ElkHunter; 08-26-2012 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Sorry, new users cannot post links.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:57 PM

I want to edit my message instead of posting a new one, but I can't.
No pb for the link.

Anyway, I was thinking maybe I should make the trip in july instead of august, in order not to miss the Pinedale GreenRiver RendezVous Pageant.
Have you ever been there? Is it worth it?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie-la-vraie View Post
I want to edit my message instead of posting a new one, but I can't.
No pb for the link.

Anyway, I was thinking maybe I should make the trip in july instead of august, in order not to miss the Pinedale GreenRiver RendezVous Pageant.
Have you ever been there? Is it worth it?
I never have seen it but it sounds interesting. If you come early enough in July you can experience the 4th of July and help celebrate the good old US of A. Livingston, MT has a rodeo then and I think Cody has them throughout July. That would be a great experience for you and your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming