Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 03:59 PM

232 posts, read 785,793 times

Advertisements

I've never been to the Rendezvous but I'm sure the kids would love something about it. There's crafts, art, historical reenactments, lots of people in period attire (Native American garb, "mountain man" clothing), rodeos, horse races, Native American dances, a parade, food etc.

Without having seen it myself, it's difficult to judge whether it's truly a marvelous attraction or more of a somewhat hokey local tradition. But it does seem like it would be fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 05:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,098,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
I've never been to the Rendezvous but I'm sure the kids would love something about it. There's crafts, art, historical reenactments, lots of people in period attire (Native American garb, "mountain man" clothing), rodeos, horse races, Native American dances, a parade, food etc.

Without having seen it myself, it's difficult to judge whether it's truly a marvelous attraction or more of a somewhat hokey local tradition. But it does seem like it would be fun!
Which rendezvous? They have several in Wyoming. Medicine Bow National Forest, Pinedale, Fort Bridger, etc.... Which one are you recommending?

Old 08-26-2012, 05:32 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,302,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Which rendezvous? They have several in Wyoming. Medicine Bow National Forest, Pinedale, Fort Bridger, etc.... Which one are you recommending?
think they were talking the green river, went years ago not to the show, but the BBQand street dance, the BBQ the frist year we went was a pit and great big kettles of beans, next year it was catered out of the back of big trucks.... but this was well over 30 years ago

Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 AM

11 posts, read 11,714 times
4th of July, (considering making my american trip in july instead of August) I may either be on the plane from Europe or in North California, where I have relatives.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,621,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie-la-vraie View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm Emilie, french woman from Paris.
I travelled to Yellowstone National Park when I was 17, that's quite a while ago, and it was breathtaking. I like to tell to my friends that Wyoming is the most beautiful place in the World. To me, to what I've seen, it is. I've travelled a little bit, not as much as I would have dreamed of of course, but I never changed my mind. "There is no place like Wyoming."

I miss the USA so much, it's getting painful. As if I couldn't breathe. As an addiction. I dream about it night and day.
I'm planning to take my family to the USA for a month in summer 2014. Sounds far ahead to you? Just consider how much money such a trip can cost to a family of four... Especially flying from Europe.

Wyoming in a MUST SEE place on this tour. My daughters will be 4 and 6 years old. They have never ridden a horse. They don't speak english. But that's okay, I'll translate for them!
I am starting to consider a three days horse ride in the wild. It would be great with a guide, to show us the way, tell us stories and history, explain to us how to take care of the horses, advise us on how to avoid cougars and bears or else...
Have you ever heard of such a trip? Knowing any guide, any company that would provide such camping tours? Having ever heard of young children on such tours?

Any ideas of what's wonderful to do in Wyoming, people to meet, places to see, thing to watch, taste, try, experiment?

I would be more than happy if you shared your advice and experience with me.
And maybe, I can return the favor with advice about France, as though I doubt it's of any interest around here.

Anyway, looking forward to reading you all.
Cheers,
Emilie
Quote:
Sounds great. Alaska sales me dream as well.
I'll work it out with Wyoming for 2014.

I googled pinedale and this site [Mod cut] seems to be just what I want to do. Except for the fishing and hunting part. I don't feel like killing anything on my family vacation. ^__^
I wonder how bearable (spell?) it is to go on the 3 days horseriding backpacking camping trip when you are a 4 years old girl...

And then, We'll visit the Mountain Man Museum ("Davy, Davy Crockett...") and watch some rodeos, and go country dancing, and check out thermopolis and the hot springs, and take millions of pictures, and have a thought for the pionners who must have been breathtaken when waking up everymorning on this pure, untouched scenery, wondering just how far more west is there to go...

I'm looking forward to 2014, and starting to saving some money.
I wonder if many europeans visit those places. I expect them to rather go to DisneyWorld and NYC?
Quote:
Hello,
absolutly! I am not actually planning on touring specifically Yellowstone. It may be a spot to check, but for the horsy-campy-wildery trip, I am ready to go just anywhere. Anywhere with trees, lakes, rivers, mountains and pure nature beauty.
I'm sure there are plenty of places to find this in Wyoming!
I'll check out these dude ranches. thanks for the hint. :-)

Emilie
Don't miss the Museum of the Mountain Man. It will be one of the highlights of your trip.

But the best sight to see is Yellowstone. It was once simply known as Wonderland; it's worthy of the name. Let your daughters see the geysers, the boiling mud, the steaming rivers and lake shore. Please don't let your family miss it it; they may not have another chance. Hike to the view of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. You'll all stare in awe. It's an easy hike.

Be sure to spend some time in Cody. We have the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, a major museum but in a small city. Cody has a rodeo every night from June 1-August 31. We also have a theater that presents western music nightly in the summer. There's country dancing in clubs here and I'm sure Pinedale has them as well.

Buffalo Bill Historical Center

While in Cody visit the restaurant in the Irma Hotel to taste Rocky Mountain Oysters. Made of calf testicles and surprisingly good they remind me of something I might have in Europe. I remember a meal of tripe stew at Les Halles one chilly morning many years ago. If you're a good cook perhaps you'll stay. We desperately need a French restaurant of any kind here. You will be very welcome.

THE IRMA HOTEL, CODY WYOMING 82414

Dude ranches normally book for a week stay. I don't know how much time you have but take a look. Some have a great deal to offer. I urge you to spend as much time as you can here because this will be the vacation of your lifetime.

Wyoming Dude Ranchers' Assoc. Guest Ranch, Dude Ranch, Family Vacation

Overnight horseback trips, called pack trips, are very demanding physically. Your little girls just couldn't do one. But there's no reason why they can't ride on shorter trips. Some dude ranches here have great programs for children. Take a look at the website and links.

Our area has over one million tourists every year. We have many thousands of European visitors because we can offer what no city or amusement park in the world can; that's Yellowstone, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.

Now, I fear I must disillusion you on one point. Davy Crockett was never a mountain man. He was an eastern frontiersman and politician who served in Congress and was once considered a possible presidential candidate. Apparently disillusioned by political and family misfortunes he traveled to Texas, then a part of Mexico, where he fought and was captured at the battle of the Alamo. He was executed shortly afterwards.

His autobiography is fascinating. No one knows if he wrote any part of it. You can skip the sections on hunting.

Amazon.com: Davy Crockett: His Own Story (9781557092182): Davy Crockett: Books

If you'd like to read about the fur trade and the mountain men this two volume work written in 1902 is a classic.

Amazon.com: The American Fur Trade of the Far West, Vol. 1 (9780803263208): Hiran Martin Chittenden, Stallo Vinton, James P. Ronda: Books

Amazon.com: The American Fur Trade of the Far West, Vol. 2 (9780803263215): Hiram Martin Chittenden, William R. Swagerty: Books

Americans all know what merci means. So the only word you need to teach your daughters is HOWDY.

A word of warning. Wyoming gets to people. There are many people living here who came as visitors the first time and moved here later because they couldn't stay away. When you come here you'll be in the real America. You know you need to come back.

I hope I've given you some useful information. Please ask any questions you have.

What's the difference between Wyoming and Heaven?

You have to be dead to go to Heaven.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 AM

Wow, you sure took my request seriously. I'm flattered. Than you for all this extremely precise information.

It's funny you are saying this : "There are many people living here who came as visitors the first time and moved here later because they couldn't stay away. [...] You know you need to come back."
Because I was is Wyoming in 1998, and yes, I need to come back. I want to take my family to the USA, where I lived when I was a teenager, and first thing I said when I first talked about planning the trip, was "one week in Wyoming. You MUST see this place".
We'll also be staying a week in north California, where I went to high school.
Two more weeks to plan.
Haven't settled my mind about where else to go yet.

I'm taking note of the places and stuff you are suggesting.
My trip will definitly have a "frontier" taste... I have a passion for history and tradition. I don't feel like going to theme parks, because it will lack the authenticity I'm looking for.

Do people in Wyoming do... err... guesthouses? Rent rooms in their own house to tourists? That's a wonderfull way to stay somewhere, and meet the real people, taste the real food, have great conversations and hear the best stories.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 AM

Oh, and as a french, I have to mention that the names of "gros ventre" and "grand teton" make me smile.
Can't help. :-D

Old 08-27-2012, 04:59 AM

Update :

I've been checking the Dude Ranches. The painful reality stroke upon me : I'm not sure my family will enjoy a whole week horseback riding, and we can't afford it anyway.
So what I should rather turn to, is a place to rent for a week. From there, we'll drive one day to yellowstone, one day to the rendezvous reanactment, one day to pinedale or jackson to visit the museums (mountain man's, buffalo bill's..)... one day to a ranch where to do some hiking and horseback riding.

I'm now checking out guest houses in Jackson and Pinedale. And also in Montana near Yellowstone.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:46 AM

3,654 posts, read 3,791,903 times
Quote:
Update :

I've been checking the Dude Ranches. The painful reality stroke upon me : I'm not sure my family will enjoy a whole week horseback riding, and we can't afford it anyway.
So what I should rather turn to, is a place to rent for a week. From there, we'll drive one day to yellowstone, one day to the rendezvous reanactment, one day to pinedale or jackson to visit the museums (mountain man's, buffalo bill's..)... one day to a ranch where to do some hiking and horseback riding.

I'm now checking out guest houses in Jackson and Pinedale. And also in Montana near Yellowstone.
That's a great idea. Sounds like a good way to get to do a little of everything. I don't have experience renting guest houses. But there are cabins available, some with cooking facilities.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,975,823 times
Quote:
Oh, and as a french, I have to mention that the names of "gros ventre" and "grand teton" make me smile.
Can't help. :-D
I know what teton means but what does gros ventre mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming