Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times

Advertisements

I am going to be coming to Cody, I need to find a decent place to live, I am not in a high income bracket, a mobile will do. I need some land for my dogs, and I need space.

I used to live outside of Bend Oregon, which is now a disaster as all the newcomers ruined the cute little town and made their rules and subdivisions. If you knew it 20 yrs or 15 yrs back you know what I mean.

I am used to the High Desert, I wonder how often you get the heavy snow there like about 6-10 inches, this was once in awhile in Oregon. No doubt you have the black ice in the winter, i am used to that, the ice here in PA is the slippery kind.

I was reading the temp could go to -20 in winter, is this true? Or on occassion. Does Cody have a hospital?

I assume alot of folks use a swamp cooler in the summer, I have used these and like them alot.

Can you name a few places outside of Cody, which are OK to look at houses etc. what areas to stay away from (Crime etc)

any help appreciated.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 09:15 PM

215 posts, read 667,945 times
There are several small towns around Cody but a good 20 to 30 miles away. Powell is a nice little farming town with a junior college there. Having lived in Cody for 8 years I would highly recommend checking out Powell for housing. Cody is very tourist oriented and a person can really get tired of it after awhile. Cody does have a real nice hospital as does Powell. Depending on how far from Cody you want to be, there are numerous smaller towns,, Wapiti, Clark, Meeteetse, Lovell, Burlington, Greybull, Basin, Frannie, Deaver, Byron with populations from 20 to a couple of thousand. The winters do get cold in Cody, do remember a couple of winters where it got to -40. The major thing I did not like about Cody is that the wind blows all the time. Powell has much less wind than Cody... As far as crime goes this is all rural Wyoming and there really is very little in any of these towns

Old 08-21-2007, 09:21 PM

thanks for the quick reply, i only rode thru Cody 2 times, back and forth from OR to PA, I did not realize Cody was really windy, those other places you mentioned are there less winds there?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:26 PM

I have only lived in Powell besides Cody in the basin so I am not sure how the wind is in other towns.. I just know that when I first moved to Powell and would go to Cody for something I thought it was kinda of funny that the wind was always blowing until I moved to Cody and realized that it is always blowing. I am not sure if it has something to do with the canyon right there or not but I have lived thru some wind storms of 70 to 80 mph.. Not fun

Old 08-21-2007, 09:44 PM

Smile winds

thanks for your imput

Old 09-02-2007, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 12,835 times
Cody has terrible wind! I have lived here 10 years and now I have enough of it. Last January the wind blew so hard that it blew me under my jeep and pinned me there for a long time. I'm moving to Jackson. More snow but less wind.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlady77 View Post
Cody has terrible wind! I have lived here 10 years and now I have enough of it. Last January the wind blew so hard that it blew me under my jeep and pinned me there for a long time. I'm moving to Jackson. More snow but less wind.
Yes Jackson is a great place to live but so few people can afford it.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:23 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlady77 View Post
Jackson is definately more like my homeland, New England where the snow actuallu comes down straight and there are trees. That's part of the reason I moved there in 1978 But, the average price of a home just topped 1m, almost impossible to find a decent rental but if you check the local paper there are 8 pages of service/resort related jobs.

Most workerbees travel over Teton Pass from Idaho and from 45 miles thru the sometimes treacherous Snake River Canyon from Star Valley.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:18 PM

7 posts, read 39,456 times
"I used to live outside of Bend Oregon, which is now a disaster as all the newcomers ruined the cute little town and made their rules and subdivisions. If you knew it 20 yrs or 15 yrs back you know what I mean."

I could say the same thing about Cody. The problem here is that there area too many people moving in from out of state and they are driving up the price of land and of housing. Thats why its so expensive to live here.

Be careful of all the small towns that were mentioned by jkb826 in another post here. Some of them don't even have a grocery store.

I have lived in Cody for 34 years and I can't remember a -40 winter in the last eight years that jkb826 has lived here. Maybe a -40 windchill.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:32 AM

that would about 1987 or 1988 and I distinctly remember looking at the thermometer and seeing that it was -40. We were living out the southfork at the time and it was a miserable time. Lived by the resevoir and the wind blew all the time and when the res was low we had endless dust blowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming