Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:53 PM

24 posts, read 92,086 times

Advertisements

Where do you think is a better place to live Cheyenne or Cody? I have been to both and like both. I have three horses so I will be looking for property. You get so much more for your money in WY compared to FL. Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 07:11 PM

21 posts, read 86,927 times
Well it depends on what you like. If you're looking for scenery, then I'd definitely move to Cody because it's so close to Yellowstone/Grand Teton. If you want convenience then I'd move to Cheyenne because it's the biggest city in Wyoming and it has good access to Denver. I'm sure both have plenty of land for horses.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:34 AM

Thanks! I see you get more land for your money in Cheyenne. I can't wait for Thanksgiving. We are going out to fine property.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:41 PM

138 posts, read 468,405 times
I live within a few miles of Cody. I go to Cheyenne when I go to Denver to see my cousin. Cody will be more expensive that Florida- I lived in Sarasota. Cody is much nicer, small town, the air is much cleaner-Cheyenne air is quite polluted, being so close to Denver. Jobs in Cody almost non-existant, I don't know about Cheyenne. Depends on what you need. Cody is better for retirees. Any other question I can help with?

Old 08-21-2006, 10:49 AM

dc53 I see in another post you have horses. How are the vets & farriers out there?

Old 08-21-2006, 12:23 PM

Funny you ask... today I will have a new farrier do my horses. Farriers that are licensed/graduate of farrier school almost impossible to find. There are 'cowboy' type guys that think they know all, and ***** up your horse. (happened in June with a farrier that I used for the first time). This one is used by a vet, so I shall see. They are not reasonable to me- two horses, front shoes only, no correction, plain shoes, will be about $125.00. When the average pay in Powell is $19,000-$30,000, I think is high. As far as vets, I have a very reasonable place. There are two that work together, always very busy! One is a graduate about 5-6 years ago, so you have experience and up-to-date. They are reasonable for what they do. If you have a problem that is more than basic, we have a leg guy in Cody- supposed to be very good, but expensive. If they can't handle a problem here, the horses -dogs go to Ft Collins, Colerado to the college. I am satisfied, and I'm pretty picky about my animals. I had my miniature dachshund have her teeth cleaned and an x-ray of her back 2-3 weeks ago, total was $70.00. A friends horse went to Cody this weekend, because our vets are gone for a couple days- her horse had Potomac Fever, and they spent over $1,000 in a couple days. Cody is more expensive. Where will you come from?

Old 08-22-2006, 06:26 AM

I am very picky about my animals too. I live west of Orlando FL now but am looking at property north of Cheyenne. Good farriers are hard to find here too. Trims are $25. I am lucky and none of mine have shoes here. Teeth cleaning for a dog is $125.00. I spent $800.00 on a mare with mastitis last year. Makes your prices sound not so bad!

Old 08-22-2006, 03:26 PM

HEADINGWEST- The new farrier that the vet recommended was here yesterday- he told/asked me what he wanted to do to correct what the guy did the last time, and it did not seem drastic or unusual.(to me at least). We left the mare barefoot, as I cannot ride, and she is just in the pasture/barn now. I had two horse teeth floated last winter while I was in Texas- at Texas A&M, almost $300/horse! Here it is $125/horse by a licensed equine dentist. If I hear of anyone at Cheyenne, I pass info. Is that sort of your final decision on a city?

Old 12-18-2006, 03:16 PM

777 posts, read 3,196,662 times
I also appreciate this horse info, as my wife and I have 3 horses, and when we do finally relocate to WY, this will be helpful info.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:05 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,151 times
Default horses/farriers/vets

I live in Wheatland and have horses also. We have a great farrier - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. He is more expensive than others around the area but sure is good. We have a foundered mare (she is 26) that he has done wonders with. $30/trim, $70/trim, shoes. Our vet is also great. Two clinics here in town - one much more expensive than the one we go to. Had our mare's teeth floated for $25. Colt cut for $100. Our animals all love him. Well, I take that back, our Westie isn't crazy about him but she can be crabby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming