Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2006, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 11,342 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are getting ready to move to Wyoming to the Cody/Powell area.
Would anyone have some comments on the better of the school systems there? We are raising my Grandaughter who is now twelve and entering the sixth grade. She has HFA ( high functioning autism). She is a very good student and can be an A+ student is she is given the modifications of her existing IEP (Individual Education Plan). We home schooled last year as her fourth grade teacher did alot of verbal damage and caused alot of anxiety and there fore my Grandaughter missed many days of school. We are wondering which school system Cody or Powell, would be more apt to be helpful in this matter.
We also have a 15 yr old son who is wishing to go to a technical highschool. Would there be any technical schools in Wyoming. He then wishes to go to WYO Tech post graduate of high school.
From what I have read, Wyoming is a wonderful place to be. My brother lives in Park County and sounds happiest ever in his whole lifetime. I can hardly wait to move there.. Thanks for your time and any information will be highly appreciated.. Genelady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2006, 08:59 AM

33 posts, read 213,602 times
Cant help you on the schools up there. It would be best to call the Chamber of Commerce and they should be able to give you numbers for the answers you wish.
Cody
http://www.codychamber.org/contactus/ (broken link)
(307) 587-2777

Powell
http://www.powellchamber.org/contact.htm (broken link)
307-754-3494
800-325-4278

But some great places to live and enjoy Wyoming.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:09 PM

Location: Gillette, WY, Layton, UT, Alameda, CA, Fairfield, CA, Fort Collins, CO, Denver, CO, Chandler, AZ
31 posts, read 150,569 times
Default Sorry can't help on the school

I sorry I can't help you on the school. Although I was suspect they are similiar since they are governed under the same school district. Just don't tell anyone in neck of the woods I said they were similiar.

I would rate the Powell/ Cody area as one of the top 10 Wyoming areas. Others include Buffalo, Sheridan/ Tongue River area, Saratoga/ Encampment, Star Valley, Lander, Pinedale, Hulett/Sundance, Greybull-Hyattville-Ten Sleep, Dubois.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,755 times
Default Powell & Cody

I graduated from Powell High School and attended K-12 in Powell. Powell is a quiet, farming community with low crime and a great place to raise a family.

My children attended the Cody schools K-6. Cody is more of a "tourist trap" type town and has a little more crime, however the percentages are still enviable. We did not lock our doors, nor worry about the children much. We hated to move away, yet the economics demanded it. The fishing, hunting, hiking and camping areas are great!

I believe a child would receive more attention in the Powell school system, although the situation might actually depend on the teacher at the time.

If your family is happier, the children will be happier and your daughter should function better.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:17 AM

138 posts, read 468,504 times
I live where you want to move. I have lived here for about 10 years. I just asked a friend, a teacher about the school system for a special needs child. She said that they realy have no programs for such.I have friends in Cody that have challenged boy, not bad, but they had to start home school. If you need special teaching you either need to home school,or private tutoring.The schools do not rate highly here. Wyoming rated low this year in education comparing to other states. all of Wyoming is not very demanding of excellent education- friend says it is because of so much need for migrant workers bringing their children- more emphasis is on migrant at this time. The college here has lost its certification several times. It is known to be below par. I cannot tell you about college in Casper/Cheyenne. Drug problems are growing-Cody has had a problem for quite some time. Powell has had a large meth lab/selling bust recently. We have a large drug problem in Powell, considering the size of the town. Don't take me wrong- this is a beautiful place. Especially if you are retired-lots of hiking, fishing,camping. You need to be pretty self sufficiant regarding finding your own amusement- especially in winter, as we 'close-up' during winter. Medical here is quite behind- about 15 years. If you need medical, you must go to Billings (closest). How important is education to you?

Old 10-12-2006, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,465 times
i am 17 and live in powell wyoming and i also go sto school there i love the school and would never change up i wont lie when i say that in cody and powell there is alot of truble teenagers have nothing to do but get in truble dont get me rong we have a great comunity And it is so beautiful here there is just nothing for kids or teens to and it has created a big drinking and drug problem

Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 9,852 times
Sizzelnsixlets post should give you an idea of the schools in Powell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming