Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 02:41 AM

220 posts, read 776,647 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I've been reading the posts for Wyoming and see a central theme- nature. Nature is the very thing drawing me to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. The problem is, I have no idea where might be a good place to stay. There are 4 of us, we'd like to stay 5 nights and need a washer/dryer because we like to hike. Other than that, electric to charge the camera batteries and access to food will round out the list...

Thought about spending a night in Casper on the way. What's to do there? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 03:24 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,367 times
So are you camping/tenting or looking for cabins/hotels ? How rough are you willing to go or how much comfort ? There are laundramats there. Do a web search for casper, I'm sure the chamber or the town has some good info on things to do. Yellowstone/Jacksonhole area is made for tourists so you will have no shortage of choices. If you get to Cody go to the museum.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:48 PM

592 posts, read 2,810,226 times
Having lived near Pinedale for a couple of years, I'd vote to look there. In my humble opinion Jackson is an overpriced tourist trap, Yellowstone is pretty busy. If you're looking for outdoor adventure..sightseeing, hiking, fishing, my vote would be Pinedale. I understand lodging is getting a little tougher due to oil activity, but I can guarantee you rooms will be way more affordable and probably easier to come by. There are plenty of forest areas nearby Pinedale, north of Pinedale, west of Big Piney that could keep you occupied for months. If you can, do yourself a favor and stay longer...there is just way too much to do! Brown trout fishing on the Hoback is fantastic. My $.02.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:53 PM

5 posts, read 27,975 times
Default Jackson Hole

I have lived in the Jackson Hole area for the past 27 years. It's an amazing place. Yes it is expensive, and you have to work hard to make ends meet. but the diversity of the area, the people, the community, the action. It is all here! You'll love it, you'll have 50 job offers, you'll make great money and find a 2 bedroom apartment for around $1200 to $1500 a month. Expensive rent, but you'll make $15 an hour min. just working as a cashier, pick up a part time job at nights hosting in a restaurant where you'll get to meet other people and socialize without hanging out in bars.
go for it.
Suzanne

Old 08-24-2007, 05:15 PM

42 posts, read 181,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Having lived near Pinedale for a couple of years, I'd vote to look there. In my humble opinion Jackson is an overpriced tourist trap, Yellowstone is pretty busy. If you're looking for outdoor adventure..sightseeing, hiking, fishing, my vote would be Pinedale. I understand lodging is getting a little tougher due to oil activity, but I can guarantee you rooms will be way more affordable and probably easier to come by. There are plenty of forest areas nearby Pinedale, north of Pinedale, west of Big Piney that could keep you occupied for months. If you can, do yourself a favor and stay longer...there is just way too much to do! Brown trout fishing on the Hoback is fantastic. My $.02.
I would have to agree with Delaneyland, you won't find affordable lodging for your needs in Jackson at all. Think about Pinedale or even Alpine or even farther south.

If you think you would like to stay in Jackson for you stay there, I would suggest the Antler Motel. The prices aren't over the top, but you need to have reservations well in advance, and I don't think they offer kitchenettes in the rooms.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 PM

6 posts, read 37,871 times
Default East Yellowstone

There are a lot of lodging opportunities beyond the East gate of Yellowstone between the gate and Cody. Lots of guest ranches with horseback riding, hiking, historic lodging, cabins, hotels, etc. Some offer fishing and rafting too. I've stayed in one on our honeymoon and we had a really nice time. I also work with quite a few of the lodge owners and found them all to be very nice.

See the link below for some of the lodges on that stretch of road that President Roosevelt referred to as the 52 most scenic miles in America. The site offers area maps, road trip maps, panoramic views, individual lodge info and more.

East Yellowstone Lodging :: Western Adventure Vacations
All lodges are family-owned.

I second a previous post..... if you go to Cody, stop at the museum for a day or two: http://www.bbhc.org

More Cody info and webcams available here: Cody Country: Cody Wyoming Community Site

Have fun! lindsyj

Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,460 times
A group of us stayed at Spring Creek Resort last Spring break. It is located in the mountains above Jackson Hole. The view of the Teton Range out our bedroom window was breath taking. I would highly recommend their accommodations and gourmet dining.

Pinedale area is probably cheaper. I have heard the fishing is good there and have a fishing date in that area when I get to Wyoming. We will be camping in tents - I don't know how remote. I've been told I'll love it! I remember the area is beautiful. I believe Pinedale was the little town with the cool shop where we found lots of interesting "stuff". It was on the main street. Maybe someone knows the name.

There were groups of little cabins in the Pinedale area that would be cheaper than Spring Creek. Everyone hears about Jackson Hole and Yellowstone but there are other areas that would be less populated and more or less as beautiful.

Last edited by Clay Lady; 03-20-2008 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
When I've been in the area, I've stayed in a tent in Grand Teton National Park, or a motel in either Victor, Idaho or Red Lodge or Billings, Montana. If I remember correctly, tent camping is not allowed in Yellowstone, nor are tent trailers. It seems to me the rule is that what you camp in must have "hard" sides, such as an RV or camping trailer. It is a wonderful area in which to camp, and, if they're like most National Parks, most of the visitor centers have laundromats nearby.

If camping is not at all your thing, there are quite a few towns near Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks where you should be able to find a motel room pretty easily. I already mentioned Victor, Idaho and Red Lodge, Montana. These are on opposite ends of Yellowstone, but are within about an hour's drive of the park. Same is true for Cody or Jackson, Wyoming. It's a gorgeous area, so you may want to stay in two or three different places on your visit so you can visit different areas of the park more easily. The Northeast entrance is the one closest to Red Lodge, Montana, and the road between there and the park (Beartooth Highway) is one of the most beautiful drives in the country, according to many sources (including me). I recommend that you see it while in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming