Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 12:08 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,111,139 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Hello from the Black Hills! My family and I are finally embarking on a trip to Yellowstone this summer, and I have not been since I was a kid, so I need some help.

We are planning on coming in through Jackson Hole, since our truck is kinda wimpy and I know it won't be happy hauling our pop up over the pass via Cody. What can you tell me about grades/passes/hills from Jackson Hole to the YELL gate? How bad is it?

Also, need a suggestion on where to camp for one night between Casper and Jenny Lake. Picking my daughter up from Girl Scout camp in Casper in the morning, and will be driving to Jackson Hole/Teton NP that afternoon. I can't handle much more than that in the vehicle that day, so we aren't planning on going into YELL that night. Just want a good, clean spot to stay for the night before heading in the next day.

Thanks for your help! I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 02:15 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,351,587 times
Roughly 1/4 of the way between Shoshone and Riverton, there's a bar...I think it's called 'Buckaroo Bar' or something similar...no reports or rumours of anything 'bad' ever coming out of that place, so no worries...but I have noticed there are a few RV-hookups...not sure how much they cost or what is involved; if it's only long-term contract or whatever...and I'm way too far away to drop in and even know if there's anything currently available. Not even sure if the town of Riverton has a place for an RV to hook up (outside of a permanent RV/Trailer-park) but they might have a KOA...I'd be surprised if a Boolean/Google-Search for 'KOA, Riverton, Wyoming' doesn't turn up something. Gauranteed that Dubois will have something...but unless your truck (much like my own) is 'complaining' about high-heat (and we will be in the 90's/100's starting on Sunday, statewide) and acting sluggish, there might not be much of a reason to stop...and you would press-on over Togwotee Pass.

If it were me, I WOULD stop for the night in Dubois, give my old Chevy (she's a high-mileage 92' half-ton) a rest...and start out at daylight, while temps are still cool and easier on the engine...and then you'd be hitting Moran Junction early enough to decide which direction to head to.

There are a lot of RV-spots at Colter Bay (north of Moran Junction, and operated/owned by Jackson Lake Lodge, where I've worked the horse-corrals a few times over the yrs) and probably a little more affordable, than what the Jenny Lake Lodge would be charging; just saying. That's a wonderful 'medium-point' to jump either south (to the town of Jackson, Dornan's in Moose, or head north into the Park/West Yellowstone)

I would tank-up at the Sinclair gas-station in Casper, then fill up again in Riverton...because gas-prices in Shoshone and Dubois will be VERY high.

Enjoy !

Old 06-26-2015, 04:07 PM

Thank you! Great information. I am sincerely thinking it would be to our advantage to take the "long way" going from Casper to Jackson Hole, stop there (or sooner - Jackson is $$ even for a camping spot!), and hook back up early in the AM and drive into the park. I know what you mean about the heat. We are finally starting to get summer temps here, and though the truck has had a full work up recently, I still worry about what it will do on those higher/steeper passes. The drive up from Jackson to Yellowstone is pretty mellow, yes? I mean, I know that the caldera is significantly higher than anything around it - we just don't want to do a 6% grade up for 20 miles!

Old 06-26-2015, 04:24 PM

231 posts, read 785,412 times
The drive from Jackson to Yellowstone and most of the driving within Yellowstone's main roads is pretty mellow. I was actually surprised when I first drove around Yellowstone how shallow the road grades were within the park (compared to the surrounding mountainous country).

Old 06-26-2015, 04:41 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
Is you truck new enough to have Electronic Fuel Injection? Those systems work a lot better than carburetors.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:24 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,246,230 times
The road from Jackson to Yellowstone is pretty much flat all the way, as it's all in the valley.

By "long way" from Casper to Jackson, do you mean via Rawlins and Green River? If so, that is MUCH further. Or do you mean via Dubois? If it's through Dubois, there's a nice Forest Service campground called Falls Campground that's not too far up the mountain from Dubois. It's nothing special, but I've stayed there a few times and have fond memories of it.

Sinks Canyon, just outside of Lander, has the Popo Agie Campground (pronounced Poposha). I've been up to the Sinks several times but never camped there, however I have heard/read good reviews on it. Sinks Canyon is a nice place. At one point the Popo Agie disappears -- just runs into a wall. There the water goes underground for quite a ways (mile or more?) before it resurfaces.

The climb from Riverton through Dubois and over the pass is long but never very steep. Nice drive, good road, pleasant trip.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:58 PM

I was considering Dubois, but I didn't know how steep the pass was that way. Thanks for all the input and camping suggestions. I will probably have a new truck by next summer, but I don't want to wait until then to go to Yellowstone.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Take a 6-8 man raft and do an early morning float trip from Jackson Dam towards Jackson. Pretty slow water (not hazardous in this section) , lots of wildlife, very VERY scenic.

Of 50+ yrs travel and living around the world, this float trip was tops!

I have taken the trip from Dubois many times, not a problem (except once when I was relocating a Motorhome... fuel pump happened to not be able to keep up with the 454 thirst). Take an extra fuel pump (or auxiliary electric). I had to have one sent out to the pass from Jackson via courier. I prefer to carry a spare now (save time and they are quite inexpensive to buy on-line and pack around).

You mention driving back and forth from Jackson to YNP. I don't recommend that. Summer traffic and it is not as close as it may seem. Early mornings and early evenings are the time to make tracks (families are eating, not driving). Afternoons are great for fishing and naps (while traffic is crawling).

When you get that new truck (or motorcycle / sports car) be sure to take the Beartooth route into NE Yellowstone!

Old 06-27-2015, 01:24 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,652 times
Have a nice trip. Lot of good advice. Enjoy your vacation to trip to Yellowstone this summer,

Old 06-27-2015, 06:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
We plan on driving from southern New Hampshire to Yellowstone in late august into September. Thank you for the information on the roads. We will be staying in motels and hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming