Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,553,968 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in hearing experiences of those that have flown into Jackson Hole and rented a car to see the Teatons and and then drove on to Yellowstone. How much time would be needed to hit the highlights? This "seems" to be the most practical way to go to Yellowstone for us as we would be flying out of Northern New England. Most of the major places to fly into seem to be more of a drive than we want to do. For years it has been a desire of mine to visit Yellowstone. We went to Sedona and the Grand Canyon in the mid 90s and it is still a great memory. For that trip we flew into Phoenix. Thanks for any tips you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,758 posts, read 58,150,330 times
A more common and probably less expensive option is fly into Bozeman or Billings. (no sales tax on rental car).

Really depends on your desires within the park, and if you plan to hike / go back-country. (requires permit if over night)

Since I lived nearby, I have done them both in a long day, but one - two weeks is better. I have also spent over 3 weeks.

Do a float trip on Snake from Jackson Dam to Jackson Hole, great views and wildlife. Pretty mild / slow run.

My favorite part of Yellowstone is NE (Tower Falls and Beartooth Hwy). http://byways.org/explore/byways/2281

In season... Get rolling before dawn and get to desired destination. Enjoy the park early morning and evening, and go hiking mid-day when roads are packed. Avoid eating at concessions from 10 - 2 and 4-7. Take a cooler and some veggies and fruit. (watch out for bears with that stuff).

Sept is a great time to go.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:35 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,553,968 times
Thanks for the tips. I agree that flying into Billings would be the way to go. We aren't big hikers but do like to walk trails. Most likely we would be gone from home about 7 nights. Hopefully we can do this sometime other than July or August when it is the most crowded.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,289,558 times
19 years ago I took the long way back to Illinois from a summer job in Estes Park, Colorado. I stayed the night in Jackson Hole, then took a day driving through Teton and Yellowstone (I think we stopped the next night in Bozeman but I'm not sure). I hit most of the main points of interest on the west side of the Grand Loop (highway 89); I could easily have spent a week there, but even in a day I saw enough to make the trip worthwhile.

It was early October when I passed through which is probably the best time of year in terms of weather, traffic, and wildlife viewing, but the downside is that some things are closed down for the season by then. Plus there is a risk of snow by then, we actually drove through snow on the way up across Wyoming but it was gone by the time we got into the parks.

I've always wanted to go back and spend a week there, staying at least part of the time at the Old Faithful Inn. I'd like to spend a little time around Dubois, too.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:22 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,067,507 times
We just got back from Jackson, YNP and GTNP. We drove up from Colorado so I can't comment on flights into Jackson. Stayed in the town of Jackson because we had our dogs with us and the town was a more attractive place to hang out and get good food. The drive from Jackson to YNP was about 2.5-3 hours to get to Old Faithful, we then drove the lower loop, stopped at a few places but didn't do any big hikes. We knew that it wouldn't be our last trip to the area so we just hit a few sights, it took about 9 hours. If you really want to explore YNP I would absolutely stay in the park, possibly in various sites, it is HUGE, maybe a couple night at GTNP too. If you head on over to the Trip Advisor Wyoming forum you will find some extraordinarily helpful folks there to assist you in planning your trip. Wyoming Forum, Travel Discussion for Wyoming, United States

Old 06-04-2013, 10:24 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,251,349 times
Be sure to check out flights and car rentals in Billings. Yes, it's a longer drive, but OH, THE DRIVE! The Beartooth Highway has been called the most beautiful highway in America, and I believe it. I'd recommend getting an early morning start on the Beartooth from Red Lodge. That'll give you the best light, time to enjoy it, and time to get to your stop for the night in the Park or in West Yellowstone. Pack a picnic lunch and have your camera at the ready.

On your way back to Billings you could leave Yellowstone's East Gate and spend some time in Cody. The Buffalo Bill Historical Center is worth a half day (at least) by itself, especially if you like western history. From Cody you can take a short, boring drive back to Billings or take Hwy. 14 or 14A for a beautiful drive over the Big Horns to Dayton/Ranchester and head from there back to Billings. If you go this route, you'll be passing by the site of the Battle of the Little Bighorn (aka Custer Battlefield) of Custer's Last Stand.

I would bet flights into Billings would be cheaper, as well as car rentals, but that's just a guess.

If you want to breeze through the Parks, I'd suggest at least two days in Yellowstone and one in GTNP. That can get you to the most popular tourist spots if you make long days of it. Others insist you need two weeks to see Yellowstone. Somewhere between two days and two weeks will probably be just right for you.

I second Stealth's suggestion to see the Parks in early morning and late afternoon. We always camp when we go to the Parks, and that's exactly what we do. We get an early start, before sunrise, then head back to camp for a late breakfast/brunch, then head out again for late day. The light's better then for photography, more animals are out, and fewer tourists are on the road.

I'm a photo enthusiast, so that's why we leave before sunrise rather that at sunrise. I scout my sunrise location the day before and plan to be there and set up well before the first light hits the peaks. It kind of goes against what vacations are about, but it makes for much more dramatic photos and really helps in avoiding the crowds, even during the peak months.

Welcome to Wyoming. I hope you have a great time.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:41 AM

Yes, Do this ^^^^^

While I luv the Tetons... I really luv Burgess Jct and Bighorns on 14 / 14a.

Next trip...
Utah National Parks and Western Colorado.

Too many trips, too little time...

I often get a good fare from Manchester to SLC

SLC is not so bad for a Yellowstone trip either (tho Billings is much closer). Bear Lake (NE UTAH is NICE during Aspen leaf change, ~ 1 Oct) + Lava Hot Springs, ID and "Star Valley" WY are on my rte from SLC to Tetons.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
Personally, I think Yellowstone is so over crowded, you can fly to Kalispell, or take Amtrak to East Glacier, rent a car, and do Glacier Park and Waterton. Much nicer trip. They have tour buses that take you all over, big, old fashioned woodies, and they drop you off at places to hike, and pick you up. You can take tour boats and go hiking for the day, and take the boat back.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,429,415 times
You're making me want to plan my own trip to Yellowstone!

I grew up in central Utah and have been to Yellowstone with my family no less than 30 times. It's my peaceful place.

Enjoy your trip!! I wish I could give some pointers but I haven't been there in nearly 10 years.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 PM

One of my bosses grew up in Idaho Falls. As teenagers, their parents would take them to Jackson Lake on Friday, and they kids would float the Snake River back to ID over the weekend. THAT would be FUN (as a kid). He knew a LOT of hideaways in Yellowstone and Tetons. I often took my motorcycle way back on forest roads in the parks and camped solo. Woke one night to several hundred elk milling about the meadow where I was camped. Interestingly they didn't trip / snag my tent stays. I got my BEST MPG coming through Yellowstone on Motorcycle (cuz people drive so VERY slow... 123 mpg on my 650cc). It is really a great place (but only in my top 10 for WY). MANY great places, so little time. The local people are GREAT, and very helpful. Don't get discouraged by the 'impatient' tourists and vendors... go find a cafe or lumberyard, and enjoy some farmers / ranchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel