Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 PM

109 posts, read 331,685 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband just got to Kemmerer, Wy to work there at the Power Gas Plant and his experience hasn't been the best. Yes I Know there's not too many hispanic people in that town but hey he'll be there just for a few months and they've made sure he feels like an outsider. The night he arrived he paid to stay in a town motel and they didn't even told him the room had no air conditioning, when he politely asked the front desk clerk she said she was sorry but that was it. Then he tried to move out to another nearby motel just to learn that the front desk clerk had already called to make sure that no one give him a room to stay. It seems like a scary town If there are any friendly people left in that town or in a nearby town, please tell where my husband can get a place to stay. An apartment, hotel, etc. I will appreciate any help and surely change my mind about people over there. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:39 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,247,822 times
I am so sorry that this has happened. That is not what Wyoming is about. Is that motel "Indian" as in India, owned? That is not something I would expect out of somebody that was Wyoming.

I know nothing of Kimmerer, but I do know most people and I must apologize for the way your husband was treated. That's not the way things are done in Wyoming.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:43 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,456,700 times
with the energy boom on temporary housing is real tight in many cities in wyoming.sometimes you may have to take a room with broaken airconditioner.im not sure how he would know whether the cleark called all surrounding motels but they are often full with energy workers.a large percentage of people in wyoming have no airconditioning in their homes.ive been to kemmerer several times and never found it scary at all.i wish him luck.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:26 PM

Default About Kemmerer, Wy

Thanks jgussler and imbobbbb for your comments. And yes my husband mentiones something about an Indian manager at the hotel. I will tell him about the energy problem so he doesn't think it's an attitude problem against him or hispanic people. He Knew that all the motels around the area were told about the "because the clerks didn't even let him speak and said: "We don't have air conditioning here either". Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts and comments. I still need advice about where he might stay over there.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:32 PM

Default About Kemmerer, Wy

Thanks jgussler and imbobbbb for your comments. And yes my husband mentiones something about an Indian manager at the hotel. I will tell him about the energy problem so he doesn't think it's an attitude problem against him or hispanic people. He Knew that all the motels around the area were told about the "because the clerks didn't even let him speak and said: "We don't have air conditioning here either". Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts and comments. I still need advice about where he might stay over there.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:57 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,078,807 times
I know who that Indian is, I built his house. I can't believe he did that, but then again I can. He was a HUGE pain in the butt to build for. He could teach a good old Jewish woman how to pinch pennies!

RS is 11 miles east of GR and has a lot more oil field workers in it, so we're used to having a lot of guys in town. GR is more oppossed to them. If he looks around he might be able to find a room over here.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:59 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,261,511 times
Default Kemmerer

caribbeanppl, I am so sorry that your husband was treated that way. I haven't been to Kemmerer myself but the way your husband was/is being treated is not typical of Wyoming people!

There are a lot of places that don't have air conditioning in WY as it usually isn't needed a lot. However, I think your husband was given the run-around.

Is there anyone at work he could ask about a place to stay? Lots of times places aren't advertised they are just rented by word of mouth.

Good luck - and again I apologize for how he has been treated. I wish you the best. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:38 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,078,807 times
Okay I had to talk to my husband first to be sure I was right. The hotel your husband is staying at and the one he went to check on are both owned by the man from India. That's why they said that when he walked in. Sometimes they seem very abrupt, part of it is the way their words come out in english. So you know, they also own two hotels in Rock Springs, one is the Super 8, I'm not sure which one the other one is. I think his brother may own the other one though.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:27 PM

74 posts, read 313,912 times
Kemmerer is a hole! I lived there and can vouch for that.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:41 PM

7 posts, read 33,573 times
I lived in Kemmerer and I fealt the same way. It's not just about the motel, it's the attitude of the town people. I would reccomend staying in Mountain View, Lyman or Fort Bridger. It's not a terrible drive. The people there are nice and there are still many affordable places to rent on a handshake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming