Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:17 PM

52 posts, read 178,694 times

Advertisements

it seems that the employment situation is marginly better anywhere in Wyoming than Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 03:31 PM

255 posts, read 1,093,903 times
I'm sorry, but you really shouldn't listen to some of these people. By Wyoming standards, 15,000 people is a big city. Like, top 5 big. That's what I meant. As for scenery, the Snowy Range and Vedavoo are far and away more gorgeous than the Big Horn Mountains. It's no contest.

As far as being boring, Laramie has, by virtue of the University alone, much more going on than Sheridan. When you throw in the outdoors stuff 1/2 hour (or less), it's pretty easy to find something to do.

Okay, Laramie has wind and longer winters. Big deal. We also have really moderate summers, unlike Sheridan. Also, longer winters means more time for skiing and such. Winters really aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

If you're still deciding between the two, I really suggest you visit each place first. I think you'd prefer Laramie, though. Obviously I do.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm not sure if Antelope Butte is still there or not, but I know they auctioned most of it off a few years ago. Whether the lifts went with it or not, I don't know. It was never very big but was enjoyed by the locals. My old partner from Greybull told me about how he and some friends used to climb the peak to ski down many years ago, before there was even a rope tow there. Sheridan isn't too far (80 miles?) from Meadowlark Ski Area on Hwy 16, but for a "real ski slope" the closest would be Red Lodge, MT, about 3 hours away. Laramie is only two hours from Steamboat Springs, CO, a first-class ski mountain. Without doubt, Laramie has the advantage for serious skiers.

I'd still prefer Sheridan for my tastes, and I would have years ago when I skied every winter weekend.
I did some checking. Antelope Butte is alive and well. Only now it's under a different name. Saw it posted down at the rec center in Ranchester. They have a bus that goes up once a month and there is a discount to sign up and ride the bus up to it. I can't remember exactly, but I think it's Big Horn Ski or something close to that.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder18 View Post
I'm sorry, but you really shouldn't listen to some of these people. By Wyoming standards, 15,000 people is a big city. Like, top 5 big. That's what I meant.

- snip -
Top five? Way off. It's number 6 in the state for size.

You are absolutely correct though. By Wyoming standards, it's one of the bigger towns/city's, however, for things to do it's not considered a large City.

We find enough things to do, but entertainment is not handed to you like a big City. There are not 150 different movie theaters, 20 arcades, 3 malls, etc to go to.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 PM

18 posts, read 28,846 times
Thumbs down sheridan has its down falls as well

I lived their for 3 years it has alot down falls. The collage has changed alot in perpective. I know perosn who pretend to be a bum in cities who was a reporter for casper. He said in his report alot people critized him for being poor and cops herrasied him alot. In his report he said that sheridan last place for poor person to reside in. Jackson was the best he stated that some people even offered him a job as weere sheridan didn't. If you like his report I can ask him to send it to you it won an award for new paper article of the year. Their is the facts.

Also for hunters and fishers the land is mostly land locked so can't hunt on it and place were you can the ranchers want big dollars. Like on soldier creek road. I know I lived their on a farm and you can easily look this up on BLM maps and see where people own. JUST STATING THE FACTS

Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 PM

59 posts, read 226,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2ndchancetostartagain View Post
I lived their for 3 years it has alot down falls. The collage has changed alot in perpective. I know perosn who pretend to be a bum in cities who was a reporter for casper. He said in his report alot people critized him for being poor and cops herrasied him alot. In his report he said that sheridan last place for poor person to reside in. Jackson was the best he stated that some people even offered him a job as weere sheridan didn't. If you like his report I can ask him to send it to you it won an award for new paper article of the year. Their is the facts.

Also for hunters and fishers the land is mostly land locked so can't hunt on it and place were you can the ranchers want big dollars. Like on soldier creek road. I know I lived their on a farm and you can easily look this up on BLM maps and see where people own. JUST STATING THE FACTS
Goodness, spell check please.

I lived there for 3 years it has a lot down falls. The college has changed a lot in perspective. I know of a person who pretended to be a bum in cities that was a reporter for Casper. He said in his report a lot people criticized him for being poor and cops harassed him a lot. In his report he said that Sheridan is the last place for poor person to reside in. Jackson was the best he stated that some people even offered him a job as where Sheridan didn't. If you like his report I can ask him to send it to you. It won an award for news paper article of the year. These are the facts.

Also for hunters and fishermen the land is mostly land locked so you can't hunt on it and places where you can the ranchers want big dollars. Like on soldier creek road. I know, I lived there on a farm and you can easily look this up on BLM maps and see where people own. JUST STATING THE FACTS

Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2ndchancetostartagain View Post

The facts are, there are 4 BLM areas on Soldier Creek between Sheridan and Wolf Creek Road. That's only 9 miles. Then on Wolf Creek, there are 3 areas in the next 6 miles going to Ranchester. I know, I hunt those area's.

If you go out 14 toward Ucross, there are several areas open to hunt. Around Lake DeSmet there are several areas. Then, of course, there is the Big Horn National Forest.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,568 times
Sheridan is the least windy of Wyoming's larger "cities". The winters aren't too bad, likely some of the best in the state. I do think Laramie would be more accepting of a gay couple, although I don't think you'd have any probs in Sheridan. Just saying...

I don't know the job prospects in Laramie, but Sheridan is supposed to be getting some new coal mine in the next year.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 AM

4 posts, read 18,372 times
Well, moving to Laramie from Sheridan over a year ago, I can speak for both places. Sheridan is by far the best town in Wyoming. It has kept up its down town very well. The streets have virtually no pot-holes, and you can see that the city funds are put to good use everywhere. Laramie on the other hand is a little boroken-down. The streets are riddled with pot holes. The down-town has no shopping compared to Sheridan, and almost a lack of sense of community. It seems that Laramie (having the University) is just a pit-stop for most, so not many people seems to invest in it. Try Sheridan, you won't regret it!

Also, Sheridan is by far the medical leader of the state! It has the dental hygiene school, and a great free-clinic program, and the hospital is by that the best. I have a great Sheridan- video for you to watch! Everyone should watch it and see the best kept secret in wyoming (oops, I gave it away)

Last edited by soccerscore; 02-16-2011 at 09:19 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 03:23 AM

52 posts, read 178,694 times
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming