Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:03 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,774,625 times

Advertisements

Do I need a topic sentence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM

How about a Hero? In fiction do I really need anything other than an idea? Or no rules just write?

Old 08-01-2013, 12:35 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,022,643 times
If you write well enough, you can break all the rules. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:30 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,700,052 times
Yes, you need a 'hero' but not a topic sentance. Topic sentences are generally for essays.
However, you want your first page to be your 'hook' that keeps the reader interested. You can start with dialog as your first sentance if you want. But the hook is critical if you want people to read your story.
The time tested 'basic rule' for fiction is a formula that all great stories have followed for thousands of years.
You have your hero, a day in the life of...then a conflict, thier call to action, their denial or rejection of the necessity to act and then they are forced to act. There is a trickster and there is a mentor. Which can be the same character, but does not have to be.
Google 'heroes journey formula' and you can find a complete breakdown.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:37 AM

I got in a smaller writers group and we starter sharing more and it seems to be helping..BUT back to the TOPIC SENTENCE...I feel it's pictured..some how...It's like the spine of the sentence. All other sentances point to and suport the central idea, theme and topic,,,maybe the classic sentance written as a Topic Sentence is in drag, or uniform, or out of sight.but where ever it is it's the subject of control, Like the law of gravity. In control and all ways in the equation even when over powered.......What am I talking about? What's you take?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,718,949 times
You should have a 'theme' which is different than a topic sentence.

If someone asked you 'what is the meaning of your story?', what would you answer?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,124,276 times
You basically have the first paragraph to capture the reader's attention. The topic sentence is the hook, or the killer of whatever you are writing. If the first sentence or the hook turns the reader off, whatever you write from that point forward means nothing.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 AM

Default The Topic Sentance is the theme is the hook...

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
You basically have the first paragraph to capture the reader's attention. The topic sentence is the hook, or the killer of whatever you are writing. If the first sentence or the hook turns the reader off, whatever you write from that point forward means nothing.
Like ?
this could be a hook ? a topic sentence? and every following sentence will relate and support and clarify and push the Idea/story...of Billy in the pear tree.

"Billy Dalwall had never climbed this high in the old pear tree before today. He began to swear and sweat and tremble." Billy continued to climb and a wave of fear flashed through the ten year child. He reached a point in that he was afraid to go higher and afraid to go lower.

"Billy ! Billy!" His mother called. There would be no answer. Blilly was to proud, his head was too full of superheros and imaginations.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:41 AM

If we can say: fiction can have a topic sentence then we can think about the power and benefit and good reasons for a topic sentence............ we define was it is and does...for the writer. AND READER!

Old 08-10-2013, 10:29 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,124,276 times
Bluescity, I like it, but then I read anything and everything, meaning I will often read children's books as well as adult books. If this is a book for adults, it needs some work, if for children cut the word swear. Just my opinion. Hope you luck. If you really want to write, keep at it. Find a good editor, and have friends read your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing