Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,738,778 times

Advertisements

When writing non fiction, how much detail do you provide? How much is too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,739,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
It depends on your target audience and the purpose of your writing, but a rough rule of thumb: Write the least number of words necessary to achieve the greatest possible impact.

Your question, for example, is not detailed enough for anyone to give a very helpful answer. What sort of writing are you doing? Professional journal? Popular magazine? Book? What is the subject? Are you just explaining something? Or are you trying to convince people of something? You might want to give a few examples of details you are unsure about. Then, perhaps, we can be more helpful.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 AM

32,683 posts, read 48,217,712 times
It depends upon what you are writing and who you are writing for. That is part of the skill of writing. Good writers know just the right point to quit.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
When writing non fiction, how much detail do you provide?...snip...
More than you've provided here.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 AM

6,758 posts, read 8,602,544 times
Quote:
Much depends on the format you are writing in. For example:
1) A textbook can include footnotes and/or references that may be used to expand on the information you are providing.

2) Historical non-fiction should include the facts as documented. The opinions of others including commentators that may be relevent to the discussion may be included if they give an accurate reflection of the way an event was perceved through the lens of that particular period.

3) Scientific journals should include opposing viewpoints as the scientific theory is just that, a theory, subject to interpretation.

4) How-to books should illistrate the proper proceedures, techniques and safety precautions.

Without more information than your question indicated, it is difficult to give you a specific answer, so I have simply given you some general principals as I have seen them or used them.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,738,778 times
Sorry for not being more specific.

I'm helping a friend write a memoir. She's had a pretty interesting life and has some pretty unique "life lessons" she wants to pass on to others.

I promised I'd help her however I can but there are sections of her book that require detail but I just don't know how much detail she should be giving.

I'm just being an extra hand here and trying to do what I can to help.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:26 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,739,038 times
Quote:
I'm helping a friend write a memoir.
In this case, I'd say go ahead and include all the details she wants in the first draft. If the first draft is long (more than the length of an average novel) and/or boring, then this is a good indication that you might have too much detail. "Boring" is a highly subjective concept, so you will want several volunteer readers to help out. Have them indicate the parts that get tedious and look for patterns in their responses. You can't simply assume that your volunteer readers are right, but their responses can alert you to previously unnoticed problems.

I don't think there is any magic formula for the details of a memoir because sometimes the most miniscule and intimate details can be interesting and helpful. Also, historical details can help bring out the "flavor" or a certain time and place. You might want to identify the major themes, then think in terms of developing these themes, just like in a novel. If a detail helps to reveal the character or supports a theme, then it is probably worth keeping. If not, then it might be something to cut out.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,364,161 times
Chapter 24.

Amazon.com: On Writing Well, 30th Anniversary Edition: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction (9780060891541): William Zinsser: Books

Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,796,455 times
Thanks for posting the book link. I just bought the Kindle version. I'm starting to write my second book; the first one is with the content editor and I expect to be ready to publish this May.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,796,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post

...I don't think there is any magic formula for the details of a memoir because sometimes the most miniscule and intimate details can be interesting and helpful. Also, historical details can help bring out the "flavor" or a certain time and place. You might want to identify the major themes, then think in terms of developing these themes, just like in a novel. If a detail helps to reveal the character or supports a theme, then it is probably worth keeping. If not, then it might be something to cut out.
This is want I had been told prior to starting my first book, and I followed the advice. Mine is an inspirational themed book, based on my history, showing how I used visualization and goal setting (programming the subconscious mind) in order to get out of factories, get an education and become a Pan Am airline pilot. So I'm happy to hear others offering the same advice on details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing