Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 PM

2,092 posts, read 1,425,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Just to show you how times and attitudes have changed, please allow me to relate an incident from the '60s that was described to me by one of the older female faculty members:

Female Principal: Miss X, are you wearing a slip today, in accordance with my faculty dress code?
Female Teacher: I'm wearing a half-slip, Miss Connolly.
Female Principal: You know that I require my teachers to wear a FULL slip underneath their dress. I will cover your class while you go home in order to garb yourself properly.
Female teacher: (meekly) Yes, Miss Connolly.

Her description of this incident from the 1960s was prompted by a "clothing crisis" in the school during the late '70s, namely the "shameless" wearing of slacks by some female faculty members. Times had changed, and when the principal demanded that female faculty members wearing slacks go home in order to change their mode of dress, most of them pointed out that there was nothing in print stating that women could not wear slacks, and some of the more assertive women defied the Principal.
That clothing...crisis...soon evaporated.
Just about the only skirts I ever see on women in my area today are the skirts the Mennonite women in this area wear. Some of the women at my bank wear skirts but just as many wear a nice pair of dress slacks and a dress blouse. Pants of one sort or another are so much more comfortable -- and a whole lot warmer in the winter. (y)

Would many people today know what a "matchbook" is? In past decades a free book of matches was good advertising. Maybe the smoke shops still have them.....????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 PM

33,002 posts, read 36,540,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Just about the only skirts I ever see on women in my area today are the skirts the Mennonite women in this area wear. Some of the women at my bank wear skirts but just as many wear a nice pair of dress slacks and a dress blouse. Pants of one sort or another are so much more comfortable -- and a whole lot warmer in the winter. (y)

Would many people today know what a "matchbook" is? In past decades a free book of matches was good advertising. Maybe the smoke shops still have them.....????
They're all over the place. They're not as rare as a roll of caps or candy cigarettes.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:38 PM

42,006 posts, read 75,401,765 times
Quote:
"flats" - womens' shoes with no heel as opposed to "high heels".
What else do you call shoes with minimal heels?

Quote:
"paper back"
Also still in wide use, although now sometimes called "soft cover".

Quote:
Prior to that, as an elementary school student, I used to look forward to the quarterly opportunity to order paperback books through Scholastic Book Service.
Yes! The distribution of the SBS flyer was the highlight of the semester. I still have a few of the books I bought in elementary school, and if I see them at second hand shops I pick them up. My niece still has my copy of "If You Lived In Colonial Times".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jl-inc...7601903080963/

Quote:
Yes, a lot of women did refer to purses as pocketbooks[/url]
Pocketbook is still common vernacular in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.
Quote:
LOL. Do women even know what a "slip" is today in that context? That is another word that has lost its meaning
What else do you call them?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:58 PM

19,176 posts, read 25,442,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What else do you call them?

I'm not claiming to be an all-knowing expert on this topic, but...do women actually wear slips in 2017?

Old 01-26-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I'm not claiming to be an all-knowing expert on this topic, but...do women actually wear slips in 2017?
I don't know any who do, not even those who still wear skirts. At one time I had at least half a dozen full slips and that many half slips but that was 50 years ago.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:24 PM

19,176 posts, read 25,442,881 times
Quote:
I don't know any who do, not even those who still wear skirts. At one time I had at least half a dozen full slips and that many half slips but that was 50 years ago.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions regarding "slips".

IMHO, debating exactly what terminology we should use for women's slips is about as useful in the 21st Century as debating about the terminology to use when discussing buggy whips. When something passes into oblivion, does it really matter exactly how we refer to that item?

Old 01-28-2017, 03:21 PM

42,006 posts, read 75,401,765 times
Quote:
I still wear them, if only to keep the fabric of the skirt from clinging to my legs.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:10 AM

26,827 posts, read 26,978,865 times
Quote:
I still do, once in awhile. Depends on the fabric of the dress or skirt. (I remember when I had many slips, in several lengths, and in beige, white, and black. That does seem odd now.)

Old 01-30-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I still do, once in awhile. Depends on the fabric of the dress or skirt. (I remember when I had many slips, in several lengths, and in beige, white, and black. That does seem odd now.)
I had those colors--also varying lengths--but also had slips in pink. "Pink slips".

Old 01-30-2017, 10:36 AM

12,106 posts, read 8,501,729 times
Quote:
Slips and can-cans! We wore the can-cans to hold the circular round poodle skirts out. Some girls wore more than one at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing