Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,069,742 times

Advertisements

Which country in the world has the most freedoms ? (Freedom of speech, religion, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 AM

383 posts, read 1,591,855 times
In 2009, the countries where press was the most free were Finland, Norway, Ireland, Sweden and Denmark (found this on Wikipedia). I am sure that these are also the countries of the most freedom for religion.

Also, see this map:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Re...nkings_Map.svg

Old 01-04-2010, 08:08 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,697,384 times
Easy one! Nordic countries hands down.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:10 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,605,910 times
You need to define what types of Freedoms you are talking about.

Free Speech is protected more in the United States than in Canada (one of the more free countries). I you take a politically incorrect position on certain issues, in Canada it is called "hate speech" much of which is completely legal here. I AM NOT IN AGREEMENT WITH MARK STEIN WHO FACED THIS PROBLEM IN HIS NATIVE CANADA. I DO NOT SUPPORT HIS POSITIONS, JUST HIS RIGHT TO SUCH POSITIONS. Hence, the US is freer in terms of free speech than in Canada in that one regard. Another example is economic freedom. Believe it or not, China is definelty free with that regard. Therefore, you need to define what specific freedoms you are talking about. It all depends on how you approach the question.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 PM

74 posts, read 125,514 times
should people have to give up a life where you are treated with tolerance, just so you can say what you want? Hate speech as I see only takes away freedoms from people who are racist and prejudice (which you would think you would want.)

That being said you would be hard pressed to find countries more "free" in every aspect than the scandinavian ones.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,564,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umtiki View Post
should people have to give up a life where you are treated with tolerance, just so you can say what you want?
A truly tolerant nation protects the right to hold views that many consider abominable. Perhaps that's a very American mindset, but it is the spirit of freedom of speech provision to the First Amendment. It's been said, "I hate what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Does that itself make the U.S. more free than any other nation? Of course not. It just illustrates that freedom sometimes has an ugly side.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,605,910 times
Freedom having an ugly side is still freedom.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:20 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,607,372 times
The following nations are in all the "most free" lists of Wikipedia's "list of indices of freedom."

Most of them seem okay by the religious issues.

http://pewforum.org/newassets/images...fullreport.pdf

The following source would seem to indicate Switzerland is the freest when you list all forms of freedom they cite as "crucial."

Freedom Index : Find Freedom!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 PM

74 posts, read 125,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
A truly tolerant nation protects the right to hold views that many consider abominable. Perhaps that's a very American mindset, but it is the spirit of freedom of speech provision to the First Amendment. It's been said, "I hate what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Does that itself make the U.S. more free than any other nation? Of course not. It just illustrates that freedom sometimes has an ugly side.

There is an ugly side to many freedoms, but trading an ugly part of freedom of speech, so everyone can live free of discrimination (try). This just seems more like freedom to me. That of course is just my opinion

Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,564,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Freedom having an ugly side is still freedom.
Well, yeah. I don't think I was disputing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World