Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 03:15 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,553,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Well as we have seen, freedom in the USA means the right to own a gun to 'protect yourself' which often ends in innocent civillians getting killed. That's freedom for sure!

I would say France and the Nordic countries.. France has laicite which is brilliant, yet they are still very accepting of other cultures.
No, sorry you don't really know what you are talking about... lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 05:47 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,320,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i do like how americans have a somewhat inherent distrust of the state , a sizeable minority do take it too far however ( tea party etc )
Indeed my friend. I would say most Americans are very distrustful of the Government especially here in the Midwest and Middle America in general. The Second Amedment or the right to keep and bear arms has a much deeper meaning than being able to buy a gun. It has a lot to do with resistance against a potential tyrannical Government.

Many people believe that what keeps the US Government from ever becoming a tyranny is the fact that there are over 200 million legal guns in the hands of citizens and over 1000 Anti-Government militias.

Perhaps it is hard for an European to comprehend the American mindset but from a historical and cultural perspective, it makes a lot of sense.

Look at all the atrocities the US Government has done historically. Only a fool would believe in the bureaucracy.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:57 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,441,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Indeed my friend. I would say most Americans are very distrustful of the Government especially here in the Midwest and Middle America in general. The Second Amedment or the right to keep and bear arms has a much deeper meaning than being able to buy a gun. It has a lot to do with resistance against a potential tyrannical Government.

Many people believe that what keeps the US Government from ever becoming a tyranny is the fact that there are over 200 million legal guns in the hands of citizens and over 1000 Anti-Government militias.

Perhaps it is hard for an European to comprehend the American mindset but from a historical and cultural perspective, it makes a lot of sense.

Look at all the atrocities the US Government has done historically. Only a fool would believe in the bureaucracy.
It is all BS though, these so called "distrustful of the gov" types will be the first ones to turn you in to the gov for code violations, not having your auto tag up to date, not having your dog licensed, etc.

I think a lot of these idiots are infatuated by some "Red Dawn" scenario, but in real life they are a bunch of insecure, out of shape pansies. For all the tough talk they do, they are not even in shape enough to walk up a flight of stairs without almost passing out.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,553,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It is all BS though, these so called "distrustful of the gov" types will be the first ones to turn you in to the gov for code violations, not having your auto tag up to date, not having your dog licensed, etc.

I think a lot of these idiots are infatuated by some "Red Dawn" scenario, but in real life they are a bunch of insecure, out of shape pansies. For all the tough talk they do, they are not even in shape enough to walk up a flight of stairs without almost passing out.
We appreciate your random insults buddy

Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,429,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No, sorry you don't really know what you are talking about... lol.
Do I not, well the gun crime statistics are sure proof enough, and prove that in the US there are more gun murders per capita than anywhere in western Europe.. and per 100,000 inhabitants, there are also far more murders.. about 100x more in fact. But no, guns don't kill people!

Old 08-24-2014, 08:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,633,608 times
Quote:

In my books, living in fear of your gov't is not living in freedom.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,633,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Do I not, well the gun crime statistics are sure proof enough, and prove that in the US there are more gun murders per capita than anywhere in western Europe.. and per 100,000 inhabitants, there are also far more murders.. about 100x more in fact. But no, guns don't kill people!
Some Americans are in denial. They want to believe everything is fine because it hasn't effected them….yet.

Ask the parents of mass school shootings, or victims who have survived. They will tell you a different story, most likely.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:56 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,462,956 times
Quote:
"Hate Speech" is one of the dumbest things ever created. Even if a person holds views which are non-Orthodox, that person should still have the right to express his/her opinions as long as no crime is committed.

European nations are havens for politically correct BS. Holocaust denial and "insulting" a particular religion are crimes in Germany.

I actually prefer it. Think about the destruction done by groups like the Westboro Baptist Church. Their views and protests offer absolutely nothing productive, but it's protected by the first amendment. Abortion protestors getting right in the face of women trying to go to Planned Parenthood is also absolutely terrifying and disgusting, but it's protected by the first amendment.

There is a certain point where you need to protect people from themselves.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:59 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,462,956 times
Quote:
I am not sure where you get that idea. Nordic countries can be extremely politically correct and Fascist. In Sweden, homeschooling your children is against the law and this is the explanation given:

"Sweden's officials defend the home-school ban, which takes effect next July, saying home schooling is unnecessary since the state provides a “comprehensive and objective” education."

So basically, the Government knows what is best for all citizens

In the United States, many states force you to wait to have an abortion or receive counseling beforehand, or get parental notice/consent or have a medically unnecessary transvaginal ultrasound. So basically, the Government knows what is best for all citizens with vaginas

Old 08-24-2014, 09:10 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,429,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Some Americans are in denial. They want to believe everything is fine because it hasn't effected them….yet.

Ask the parents of mass school shootings, or victims who have survived. They will tell you a different story, most likely.
Exactly! I am just not sure why so many feel the need for guns..

Oh well, they will never accept that a country without guns will be safer! I am happy living here knowing that I go on the street and I will probably never see a gun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World