Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:33 PM

51 posts, read 98,263 times

Advertisements

I have friends that have moved from here in Toronto to go to Australia to try to find some work, just get a change of scenery and build a life. The sound of moving there really is better than it is. It must be as most of my friends have moved back. But it'd be nice to go there for a year or two. But I hear alot of complaints about the racism and lack of nightlife and the food isnt as great.

The food thing however could just be because they're used to our foods here. Like how I'm sure you've all heard the Mcdonalds, KFC in england is garbage compared to canada/us (fact. I tried that crap in england) even fams in england say ours is way better. The same is also true for ethnic food restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:00 AM

549 posts, read 1,666,552 times
Both countries offer an outstanding quality of life.

The most important difference is the weather. If you are a person that likes the cold, pick Canada. If you like the sunny beaches, pick Australia.

Australia has the second highest minimum wage in the world!!!! $22,000 per year. Well, the cost of living is very high as well.....
Australia has beautiful beaches.
92 percent of the population is unmixed white.
(The second whitest country in the world outside Europe, Argentina is 97% unmixed white)

Australia is more relaxed....

Canada has an outstanding quality of life as well...Australia = Canada in quality of life.

Canada = Europe

Saludos

Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 PM

129 posts, read 555,741 times
Canada is much better. Australia is mainly desert and all livable zones are crammed with people, there is rising crime and community conflicts in Aus due to excessive immigration and different ethnic groups in the last 12 years immigration. lots of muslims now in sydney and melbourne and some terrible murders here too. Unfriendly place where money and self interest rules. properties are way overpriced, and the rich rule australia, if your rich with over 1 million you can join the lucky people in australia, if your not then its nothing special and Canada
is much better overall. Aus is an average place

Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 AM

237 posts, read 871,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkotheAussie View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Do you actually think we get air polution from china over here??? china is about the same distance from new york to london (rough estimation). Do you get pollution fron europe?
if Europe's pollution was as bad as this
Pollution causing birth defects 'every 30 seconds' in China - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
it might be a problem. Europe is about 3 times larger than either China or India.
there's also Japan with almost 130 million people over 2 times the population of the UK, 2 times the economy in an area 50 % larger.
India is almost the same distance too.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 13,403 times
Both Canada & Australia Rock! Love them Both - similar to the US without their big problems and similar to UK with European baggage. Would happily live in either great country and just visit the other one. Wish Aussies & Canucks were closer as two Great peoples! ;o)

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,016,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I just moved to Toronto from Adelaide 3 months ago.

Canada is cheaper, with some exceptions, for day to day living. Buying a house is pretty much cheaper in all Canadian cities except for Vancouver and to some extent Calgary. Do a google search for affordability and you will find that cities in Oz and NZ do not do well for affordability.

Taxes higher in Canada with exceptions. you get both Federal and Provincial tax on purchases (Alberta and the territories do not charge provincial tax).

You should note that in the past 6 weeks the Aussie dollar has PLUNGED! From almost par to the USD (.98) and its about .82 now. Shocking. The CAD is down to .93.

Jobs may be better in Australia, with exceptions (again). However they expect 100,000 jobs to be shed in Oz this year (theaustralian.com.au).

the one advantage to Canada is proximity to the US. For shopping, flights to other parts of the world. And once you are Canadian easy enough to get a Nafta work permit to work in the US. With an Aussie passport you can easily work in.. New Zealand.

Water is always a problem in Oz. 1 in 6/7 of Aussies get skin cancer (you see skin care places all over). I was told by my doctor in Adelaide that 1 in 4 get asthma. I had bad asthma in Oz...

Overall I think Canada has the edge. But I miss my roos and koalas and when I see a red tail jet (Qantas) I get pangs of homesickness. Thank god I have vegemite and that I can buy Tim Tams at my local store in Toronto (cheaper than in Oz).
isn't it also easy to work in UK as well?
There's been a lot of reciprocal conolial connections b/w them since both as commonwealth nations.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,863,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
To dispel just the general notion that pollution doesn't carry from one continent to another, please be advised that it has been proven that contaminants from Africa DO get carried on the Trade Winds to where I am in the US Virgin Islands. I think the distance might even be somewhat further than that between London and NYC! Cheers!
No doubt. But Oz doesn't get pollution from China, mainly because it is in the northern hemisphere and air currents are mainly east/west, with little mixing between the two hemispheres.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 13,309 times
Default Jobs in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Jobs may be better in Australia, with exceptions (again). However they expect 100,000 jobs to be shed in Oz this year (theaustralian.com.au)
I'm studying options and currently inclined to Canada. The problem is the likelihood of good Jobs and Opportunities in Canada. I hear that it's relatively difficult to find a decent job in Canada, due to adaptability problems over the financial crisis effects on he other hand. Or maybe its the fact that you must have a local experience to be considered for a good job, noting that I'm a 7 years-experienced IT Business Analyst.

Any advice?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 PM

68 posts, read 92,393 times
Basically australia is what canada would be if it were not located next to usa and put in the middle of the ocean.

By the mere fact that canada is next to usa it has so many more advantages.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,634,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
What would you choose?

- political situation
- healthcare
- cities
- nature
- cost of living
- architecture
- crime
- ethnicity
- people
- air pollution etc.
I would choose Austrailia. Canada sucks big time. I hated it when I lived there. Always gray and dull and boring and there's such a foreign feeling about Canada. Austrailia is the bomb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World