Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,120,605 times

Advertisements

I think Canada has overall higher property crime rate, but I imagine that Australia has more youth-delinquent issues that can lead to criminal activity. In terms of violent crime, I wonder.

In your opinion, which country feels safer overall- Canada or Australia? I understand it may be better to compare cities to cities, but you can generalize about a country's overall safety compared to another country's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 PM

597 posts, read 1,299,029 times
Today, there is no safe place in the world.
Safe place is an utopia.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,731,782 times
I've lived in both countries and feel that Canada is safer overall. Australia has a lot of drunken physical violence & general aggression and far more property damage like graffiti, vandalism, littering, etc.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 AM

44 posts, read 107,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Today, there is no safe place in the world.
Safe place is an utopia.
Nonsense,Canada and many European countries are quite safe,unlike crime ridden Brazil.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk7 View Post
Nonsense,Canada and many European countries are quite safe,unlike crime ridden Brazil.
So what?? You said nothing.
I can say also many places in Brazil are safe.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,948,611 times
This is my first time agreeing with Brazilian, any place is dangerous, any place is safe.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
So what?? You said nothing.
I can say also many places in Brazil are safe.

London has the highest crime rate in N. Europe ,about the same population as Rio which has a violent crime rate over 300 times as London.

The overall crime rate in Rio is over 900 times higher than Berlin .

Old 04-07-2011, 04:05 PM

I think that "safe" or "full safe" are both a relative concept.
Anyone can to live in a city or country with low crime rate, but this not mean that is a "safe place", because this place you think is a "safe place" can be under terrorist attack risk.
What's worst? High crime rate or Terrorist attack risk??

Old 04-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I think that "safe" or "full safe" are both a relative concept.
Anyone can to live in a city or country with low crime rate, but this not mean that is a "safe place", because this place you think is a "safe place" can be under terrorist attack risk.
What's worst? High crime rate or Terrorist attack risk??

I'll have to think if I would rather risk bodily harm or death 24/7/365 OR once ,perhaps twice in a lifetime.
Let me take my anti-delusional pills and I'll get back to you.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
It depends on the kind of safety you are worried about. I would completely disregard murder, myself, because I consider my lifestyle to be very unlikely to place me in proximity with any murderers. In the USA, most murderers are known associates of their victims, and they probably are elsewhere, too.

Personally, the thing I would look at first, is burglary rate, because that is the kind of crime that is most likely to affect me. Here are the surprising facts: Australia has the highest burglary rate in the world, about 3 times the rate or the USA, and more than double the rate of Canada:
Burglaries (per capita) by country.
Definition, graph and map.
(http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_bur_percap-crime-burglaries-per-capita - broken link)

Obviously, the very low rates at the bottom of the chart would reflect different definitions of 'burglary' and different reporting methodologies. But among developed industrialized countries, the figures are probably fairly indicative of the facts. This chart might be even more revealing:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...afety-burglary

And this:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...y-walking-dark

This chart is probably also indicative of the general feeling of safety in different countries:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/li...e-trust-people

Canada seems to win, pretty convincingly.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-07-2011 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World