Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 07:25 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,076,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
The phonology therein shows the shift of words like "what" in the direction of "wot". This isn't uniquely American; it is heard in Irish dialects and at one point existed in Northern England. Many linguists theorize a strong Irish influence on the Northern Cities Vowel shift.

In a similar but not exactly related vain, the California and Canadian Vowel Shifts show a tendency to similar vowels heard in Northern Ireland as well as inflection. Ulster vowel patterns show a sound closely heard on the Left Coast and parts of Canada. They don't shift the U in the same direction however and maintain the "o" sound on that letter just like a lot of non-Ulster dialects. So "what" sounds like "wot" still and not "whuuut" in the American West or parts of Canada.

I think the Irish are the reason Americans don't sound as British. Even without different vowels, Americans just "sound" more Irish than English people with inflection alone. The English don't raise their vowels much if at all. When they do it happens in areas where the Irish influence is stronger like Northern England. RP speakers just have a more British character to their speech and are definitely more "stiff upper lip" in sound. Notice when Brits imitate Americans their inflections become more pronounced and their voice goes up at the end of sentences which is very common in the US to the point that we aren't even aware we do it.

It's one of the reasons the English sound pretentious to American ears. Their lack of inflection (compared to us) just sounds different and more "upper crust". Heck you'll notice the Boston Brahmin who speak in a contrived Transatlantic accent do this a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 07:35 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,060,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
The phonology therein shows the shift of words like "what" in the direction of "wot". This isn't uniquely American; it is heard in Irish dialects and at one point existed in Northern England. Many linguists theorize a strong Irish influence on the Northern Cities Vowel shift.

In a similar but not exactly related vain, the California and Canadian Vowel Shifts show a tendency to similar vowels heard in Northern Ireland as well as inflection. Ulster vowel patterns show a sound closely heard on the Left Coast and parts of Canada. They don't shift the U in the same direction however and maintain the "o" sound on that letter just like a lot of non-Ulster dialects. So "what" sounds like "wot" still and not "whuuut" in the American West or parts of Canada.

I think the Irish are the reason Americans don't sound as British. Even without different vowels, Americans just "sound" more Irish than English people with inflection alone. The English don't raise their vowels much if at all. When they do it happens in areas where the Irish influence is stronger like Northern England. RP speakers just have a more British character to their speech and are definitely more "stiff upper lip" in sound. Notice when Brits imitate Americans their inflections become more pronounced and their voice goes up at the end of sentences which is very common in the US to the point that we aren't even aware we do it.

It's one of the reasons the English sound pretentious to American ears. Their lack of inflection (compared to us) just sounds different and more "upper crust". Heck you'll notice the Boston Brahmin who speak in a contrived Transatlantic accent do this a lot.
The English spoken in the North of the UK is now much closer to the English spoken in the South, there was a time when people from different parts of the UK (North, South, East & West) couldn't hardly understand each other, as time goes by accents are becoming less distinct. I don't think the English spoken by somebody in the South East has ever been more 'proper' than the English spoken anywhere else on this island. For anybody that wants a general range of English accents they should watch a 1980's program call Auf Weidersein Pet, which was about a group of English builders (from different parts of the UK) working in Germany.

auf wiedersehen pet - Bing video

Old 02-17-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The English spoken in the North of the UK is now much closer to the English spoken in the South, there was a time when people from different parts of the UK (North, South, East & West) couldn't hardly understand each other, as time goes by accents are becoming less distinct. I don't think the English spoken by somebody in the South East has ever been more 'proper' than the English spoken anywhere else on this island. For anybody that wants a general range of English accents they should watch a 1980's program call Auf Weidersein Pet, which was about a group of English builders (from different parts of the UK) working in Germany.

auf wiedersehen pet - Bing video
Yeah I know. That's why I said "used to". Dialects like the classic Mancunian and Geordie have shifted just like dialects of Suffolk and Essex. Heck the Scouse accent is much more different than back in the 60s when the Beatles made it famous to American ears.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:40 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,060,538 times
Quote:
Yeah I know. That's why I said "used to". Dialects like the classic Mancunian and Geordie have shifted just like dialects of Suffolk and Essex. Heck the Scouse accent is much more different than back in the 60s when the Beatles made it famous to American ears.
The Beatles have a soft 'Scouse' accent, one of the guys in the series I spoke about is a Liverpudlian with a traditional Liverpudlian accent.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The Beatles have a soft 'Scouse' accent, one of the guys in the series I spoke about is a Liverpudlian with a traditional Liverpudlian accent.
Well in a Hard Days Night their accents were much more pronounced and had more Northern qualities. In other instances they sounded closer to RP but that movie showcased their accents well. You can really hear it on words like "up" which Paul says "op" and "heart" which he says "haaaaht" with the Broad A. Very Northern and not RP. But they didn't have the Northern long O. Their long O sounded more Southern but correct me if I am wrong but don't the Scouse say the long O in a Southern fashion anyway?

Old 02-17-2017, 08:01 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,055,643 times
'Pure' English is the English used by educated individuals and the English that is taught in secondary education around the world. It is not whatever somebody who happens to be standing in England speaks. You could write a thesis anywhere from the UK to the US to New Zealand and the same rules would apply universally, save a few spelling deviations and very slight regional variations. That language is 'pure' or I suppose 'standard' would be the more applicable adjective.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
'Pure' English is the English used by educated individuals and the English that is taught in secondary education around the world. It is not whatever somebody who happens to be standing in England speaks. You could write a thesis anywhere from the UK to the US to New Zealand and the same rules would apply universally, save a few spelling deviations and very slight regional variations. That language is 'pure' or I suppose 'standard' would be the more applicable adjective.
Pure meaning free from outside influences would be what it means in language terms. Such a thing may not actually exist as even in England outside non Anglo influences did happen especially in the North. But perhaps that's why Estuary English is the Standard as it might be the form of English less influenced by non Anglo elements.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:57 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,115,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I've heard that French Canadians traditionally speak using colonial-era dialect that was prevalent when their ancestors came to Canada in the 1600s and 1700s. Until the advent of 20th century mass media, their descendants had relatively little interaction with the mother country France (well, I suppose they did, however, as soldiers during both world wars), to hear how the language was evolving separately in France.

I'm sure that the posters "Acajack" and "Bimbam" could elaborate on this - or look up the subject on Wikipedia.
Yes, that's quite true. Though the archaisms (and also unique expressions developed here) are slowly fading or at least now coexisting with more international French terms.

I have friends of mine who jokingly like to say about legendary French greats François 1er, Louis XIV, Cardinal Richelieu, Napoleon and Molière that... "they all talked like we do!"

Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM

18,142 posts, read 25,340,169 times
Quote:
There is an idea that Americans (and many Brits) have that England, being the cradle of the language of English speaks the purest, most proper form of English. Standard English (Received Pronunciation aka BBC English) is believed to be the most correct and proper while it is believed Americans bastardized English to such a level that they created a horrible relative of the wonderful version spoken in its homeland.

The problem with this is it ignores history. Americans didn't butcher English of England. What happened is the English actually made their own changes post-Revolutionary War. Some US states followed suit (New York, Virginia) and some did not (Pennsylvania, most of Jersey and Maryland). Those that maintained the then current English settled much of the country. This means that the US was actually settled mostly by those who kept the actual "pure" form of modern English while the rest temporarily adopted a contrived pronunciation heard in the mother country.

Now, it is true that with the advent of Scottish immigration, the American (including Canadian) form of English then took on new pronunciation rules that shifted from England. However, it is inaccurate to say Americans butchered English or even "forgot" how to speak it properly. Ours evolved organically and there is no reason to believe that the RP of the BBC is somehow the original form or the purist.

Tl ; Dr version: Americans don't speak improperly
Same goes with Spanish,
There's dialects in Spanish that I can't understand

Old 02-17-2017, 10:26 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,983,842 times
Quote:

+1, i've thought that. Recognise some accents on island of Ireland that do sound slightly American, also consider the pronunciation of some words by the Irish e.g. Water in Ireland is pronounced 'Wader'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World