Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 05:59 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,080,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Easthome,

Even in England there is no pure English. Invasion from Nordics and immigration from Ireland has definitely shown this to not be true. Look at Northern England and the Scandivanian and Irish influenced dialects up there. So no. Pure English doesn't exist.
Yes quite, it doesn't stop people trying to claim otherwise though! Its particularly laughable when people claim the ENGLISH don't speak 'proper' ENGLISH lol, the thing is if you ARE English then it doesn't matter what comes out your mouth you are speaking pure English. I wonder what's coming next - The French don't speak French? The Germans don't speak 'proper' German? The Italians can't speak Italian perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 06:28 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,084,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes quite, it doesn't stop people trying to claim otherwise though! Its particularly laughable when people claim the ENGLISH don't speak 'proper' ENGLISH lol, the thing is if you ARE English then it doesn't matter what comes out your mouth you are speaking pure English. I wonder what's coming next - The French don't speak French? The Germans don't speak 'proper' German? The Italians can't speak Italian perhaps?
Proper is one thing. But how could Irish influenced English be called pure?

Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Proper is one thing. But how could Irish influenced English be called pure?
I'm not too sure what that is supposed to mean? But even if there is 'Irish' influence in the language you have to realise that English is influenced by FAR more than just 'Irish', the fact is there is NO standard English, you may THINK you are speaking English correctly but that is just folly, the truth is nobody can say that their English is the 'correct' English, but one thing for sure, if you ARE English then you can quite happily claim that whatever you say is pure English. Lets go on to the next question now - do the French know how to speak French?

Old 02-16-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not too sure what that is supposed to mean? But even if there is 'Irish' influence in the language you have to realise that English is influenced by FAR more than just 'Irish', the fact is there is NO standard English, you may THINK you are speaking English correctly but that is just folly, the truth is nobody can say that their English is the 'correct' English, but one thing for sure, if you ARE English then you can quite happily claim that whatever you say is pure English. Lets go on to the next question now - do the French know how to speak French?
So are you saying that just being born in Britain means one speaks the purest form of English? My point is that pure English doesn't exist by virtue of it being England because it's not as if England had no outside influences.

English people like to say that Americans bastardized English but these same people don't know their own history.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,099,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
What do you guys mean with vowel shift ? I assumed there would be cases in which "a" would actually sound like "o", like in "walk" for instance.
This explains it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northe...es_Vowel_Shift

Old 02-16-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graystripe View Post
In states in the south they often drop the g from words that end in ing. That's definitely not pure English.
IRISH do that too, very much. Listen to their folk songs - or to Roma Downey as "Tess" in the 1980s television series "Touched by an Angel" - if you can find it on re-runs or Youtube.

Last edited by slowlane3; 02-16-2017 at 06:27 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 06:24 PM

I've heard that French Canadians traditionally speak using colonial-era dialect that was prevalent when their ancestors came to Canada in the 1600s and 1700s. Until the advent of 20th century mass media, their descendants had relatively little interaction with the mother country France (well, I suppose they did, however, as soldiers during both world wars), to hear how the language was evolving separately in France.

I'm sure that the posters "Acajack" and "Bimbam" could elaborate on this - or look up the subject on Wikipedia.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM

76 posts, read 56,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
IRISH do that too, very much. Listen to their folk songs - or to Roma Downey as "Tess" in the 1980s television series "Touched by an Angel" - if you can find it on re-runs or Youtube.
Its interesting to learn that Irish people do that too. I'll try to look into that.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
So are you saying that just being born in Britain means one speaks the purest form of English? My point is that pure English doesn't exist by virtue of it being England because it's not as if England had no outside influences.

English people like to say that Americans bastardized English but these same people don't know their own history.
Of course its 'pure' English because they ARE English, I think you fail to see my point. The thing is there is no such thing as 'correct' English however the fact that the English ARE English means that whatever they say is certainly 'pure' English. Who has the right to claim the English they speak is the real 'correct' one? All I will say is that there are small variations of the language not just across different continents or countries but within regions of countries too, and none of the variants are any more 'correct' than any other. Also the variants are small, the English spoken by all English speakers is very very similar, almost identical, we all speak the (almost exact) same language, its only the accents and the way that the words are pronounced that can sometimes make it hard to understand somebody else's English.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Of course its 'pure' English because they ARE English, I think you fail to see my point. The thing is there is no such thing as 'correct' English however the fact that the English ARE English means that whatever they say is certainly 'pure' English. Who has the right to claim the English they speak is the real 'correct' one? All I will say is that there are small variations of the language not just across different continents or countries but within regions of countries too, and none of the variants are any more 'correct' than any other. Also the variants are small, the English spoken by all English speakers is very very similar, almost identical, we all speak the (almost exact) same language, its only the accents and the way that the words are pronounced that can sometimes make it hard to understand somebody else's English.
You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World