Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 04:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'll add that a lot of Northeast suburbs have a zoned minimum lot size, often quite large.
So don't by one of those if you don't like the lot size.

This is my point - here in the US we have tons of choices when it comes to housing - price range, size, type of neighborhood, yard, amenities, etc. If you don't want a lot a certain size, buy something else. If you don't like what's available in your city, consider moving to another city.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
The majority of Americans will work longer hours for more money vs making less and having more time off. You ever been on a job before that paid hourly? People will fight over being able to work overtime for more pay. I've know plenty of people that get paid hourly that will stick around for another hour or two to get time and half. The people who tend not to want to work later for money is because they can't because they got home to the kids or whatever or older workers.
My son in law is a perfect example of that. His base pay is good, his benefits package is excellent. Still - he wants that overtime! Every hour of overtime he gets feels like a bonus to him.

He and my daughter are saving to buy their first house later this year. They could continue renting but they don't want to. My daughter is so excited about all this! She watches home improvement shows all the time, scours real estate sites, and calls me several times a week asking me to look at a listing, or asking about a particular neighborhood or some other real estate question.

Her husband is very excited about having their own yard. When he was in high school and college, he worked in landscaping, and he's already scoping out riding lawn mowers and that sort of thing, as well as starting to collect a group of tools he's going to need as a home owner.

I'm very happy for them. And every hour of overtime he works, that extra money goes toward that down payment. For them, it's the American Dream in action and I am very proud of both of them.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
The majority of Americans will work longer hours for more money vs making less and having more time off.
So it as I said it depends on the American. You said Americans without any qualifier before.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
So it as I said it depends on the American. You said Americans without any qualifier before.
The point is that Americans in general have a history and tradition of choosing voluntarily to work longer hours to attain financial goals and freedoms rather than choosing to have more time off and fewer amenities. Not saying either is a superior approach - it's just a cultural difference.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:24 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The point is that Americans in general have a history and tradition of choosing voluntarily to work longer hours to attain financial goals and freedoms rather than choosing to have more time off and fewer amenities. Not saying either is a superior approach - it's just a cultural difference.
Now that's surely is a generalisation.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:27 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
hmmm seems like I stated Americans tend to prefer more money and less time off originally. Not all Americans will 100% work overtime every single time vs not working overtime which you seemed to somehow got from my responses.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Americans IN GENERAL have been pretty well known for their work ethic for several centuries. We're not without fault of course, and I'm not saying we're all diligent or hard workers, but generally speaking Americans have a long history of being proud of hard work and our work ethic.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:30 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
It's being honest. In Europe you all tend to prefer to get paid less but have more time off where as in the US it's the opposite. Tell me how many of you all in Europe would work 70hrs a week with 30 of those hours being time and a half pay? In the US people will do that to make extra money.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
hmmm seems like I stated Americans tend to prefer more money and less time off originally. Not all Americans will 100% work overtime every single time vs not working overtime which you seemed to somehow got from my responses.
Yes I got that from the second link you quoted. I commented that was an overgeneralization and then you disagreed.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
It's being honest. In Europe you all tend to prefer to get paid less but have more time off where as in the US it's the opposite. Tell me how many of you all in Europe would work 70hrs a week with 30 of those hours being time and a half pay? In the US people will do that to make extra money.
And it's not because they're destitute either - it's often because they're saving for something or whatever. We have to clarify that or we'll have people saying that Americans only want overtime because otherwise they'd be starving or living out of their car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World