Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Brussels and the Randstad are good contenders. A bit smaller than most of the others mentioned, but points taken. Hong Kong has the issue that it's by and large ethnically and culturally Chinese. You're also missing out on some of the cities of the Gulf Coast countries which have massive ethnic populations by percentage and from many different parts of the world. In regards to how truly international the US is, keep in mind that people from Mexico makes up less than a third of the foreign-born population and overall migration to the US is massive. Mexico is definitely the single largest contributor, but it's a massive overstatement to say most immigration to the US is through Mexico. Plus, when we are talking about cities/metros, Mexicans form large majorities pretty much only in the southwest United States and even then there's often still very large percentages of migrants from elsewhere (such as in Los Angeles).
The Randstad is actually one of the biggest 'cities' on the list in terms of population. It has over 7 million inhabitants, only NYC and London have more.

I wasn't sure whether or not to include Hong Kong but I felt that I had to include at least one Asian city and Hong Kong was a better contender than Singapore, Tokyo or Seoul. I looked it up and Hong Kong actually has a 95% ethnic Chinese population so it probably doesn't belong on the list. I didn't include the cities in Gulf Coast countries because they're too small and relatively insignificant on the world stage compared to the other cities on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
The Randstad is actually one of the biggest 'cities' on the list in terms of population. It has over 7 million inhabitants, only NYC and London have more.

I wasn't sure whether or not to include Hong Kong but I felt that I had to include at least one Asian city and Hong Kong was a better contender than Singapore, Tokyo or Seoul. I looked it up and Hong Kong actually has a 95% ethnic Chinese population so it probably doesn't belong on the list. I didn't include the cities in Gulf Coast countries because they're too small and relatively insignificant on the world stage compared to the other cities on the list.
Yea, I edited an earlier post and put in Randstad with Brussels but didn't modify the size comment. The Gulf Coast countries might be very nouveau riche, but Doha (just barely missing that one million mark though maybe we can assume a few thousand illegal immigrants) and Dubai do have clout now and are internationally known. Of the East Asian cities, Singapore probably comes closest to fitting the different criteria discussed.

Also, some wildcard possibilities are Tel Aviv and Mecca.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Quote:
Also, some wildcard possibilities are Tel Aviv and Mecca.
I'd put Istanbul ahead of that. 3rd most visited city in Europe after London and Paris, good number of foreign borns live there (lot of Bulgarians, Germans, Iraqi, etc), lot of big firms there, very good shopping at all ends of the spectrum, huge tourism industry (obviously), etc. Largest city in Europe after Moscow (and it may have surpassed Moscow now). Also was the European Capital of Culture for 2010.

Its GDP, according to a 2011 Brookings Institute study is $301.1 billion. That is more than Brussels, Sydney, Toronto, Taipei, Madrid, Bangkok, Miami, Jakarta, Delhi, Munich, Rome, Riyadh, Berlin, Tel Aviv, Cairo, Mumbai, Vienna, and many others. It's also BARELY behind San Francisco, Boston, Amsterdam, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,851,498 times
Birmingham, UK?

Lots of Pakistanis, Indians, Poles, West Indians, Chinese, Bangladeshi, Irish, Scottish etc.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:02 AM

5,060 posts, read 7,506,338 times
Quote:
They likely are a few years off, if we can compile a list of more recent numbers we should change the wiki and reference the new numbers.
More than likely a Decade for Sydney, by the looks of things.

I have no idea how to reference a spreadsheet to a wiki article im sorry.

Anyway if some one does, (and wants to) the Actual number are

Sydney 1,503,623 and Melbourne 1,259,903, you need to follow these links, down load the basic community profile, and reference the country of brith by sex sheet.

2011 Census Community Profiles: Greater Sydney

2011 Census Community Profiles: Greater Melbourne

The numbers above are a sum total of everyone who actually gave an answer to the question, none of the people in either city who did not give an answer, or gave an inadequate answer to the question have being counted.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-14-2013 at 01:28 AM..

Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,992,746 times
I want to reinsert this again

Foreign born population
NYC 5,911,993
LA 5,530,944
SF Bay Area 2,218,512
Miami 2,167,215
Chicago 1,677,303
DC 1,489,700
Houston 1,338,570
Dallas 1,145,585
Boston 1,089,950

Cities below 1M foreign born residents
Atlanta 752,426
Seattle 632,036
Philadelphia 617,803 <-------LOL

Service to inhabitable continents by direct air route
Houston (North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa)
Dallas (North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia)
Atlanta (North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa)
New York (North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa)
Los Angeles (North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia)
San Francisco (North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia)
Boston (North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa)
DC (North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa)
Detroit (North America, Europe, Asia, South America)
Seattle (North America, Europe, Asia)
Philly (North America, Europe) <------LOL

Number of FT Global 500 Companies, 2012
New York 38
San Francisco 18
Houston 13
Chicago 12
Boston 8
Los Angeles 7
Atlanta 4
Dallas 4
Philadelphia 3 <----LOL
Miami 2

Cities with more than 1M international tourists
New York 9,285,000
LA 3,653,000
Miami 2,956,000
San Francisco 2,872,000
Las Vegas 2,788,000 [tied]
Orlando 2,788,000 [tied]
DC 1,812,000
Honolulu 1,785,000
Boston 1,311,000
Chicago 1,199,000

San Diego 753,000
Philadelphia 613,000 <-----LOL

Foreign Flag carriers above 10
NYC 50
LA 42
Chicago 27
San Francisco 26
DC 25
Boston 16
Houston 14
Miami 13
Dallas 11
Atlanta 10
Philly 2 <----LOL

Jesus, may the good lord preserve these moments of laughter. Amen.

Last edited by scrantiX; 01-18-2013 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,054 times
Okay so the other numbers have been accounted for. I think we're missing one important criteria. Foreign investments.

In 2012 the worlds top 5 cities were NYC, London, D.C., San Francisco, and Houston. The top 5 in the US were NYC, D.C., San Francisco, Houston, and Boston. All of these cities have made foreign sales in the BILLIONS and this is particularly impressive when you look at the connected global world.

Top 5 US Cities for Real Estate Investments

I'm glad to see San Francisco, Houston, and Boston, three of the US' top business centers being so proactive in real estate transfers to foreign buyers. I expected this out of NYC, London, and D.C. tho.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,992,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
I'm glad to see San Francisco, Houston, and Boston, three of the US' top business centers being so proactive in real estate transfers to foreign buyers. I expected this out of NYC, London, and D.C. tho.
Yeah, this is a valid statement. The world is a linked capitalist economy and global business centers will always be on the minds of the wealthy investors that see potential in a marker.

If we look at where the movers and shakers are in the US, where folks worth more than $30M live
http://imageshack.us/a/img525/3461/wealthx.png

The first 10 cities are the same ones that control the US economy, all of them sans Philly have many multinational companies worth more than some of their GDP's, and the first 7 plus Miami are also in the worlds top 25 cities for billionaires NYC, LA, SF Bay Area, Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Houston, and DC. Boston isn't in the billionaires club but it's finishes the list as one of the worlds most international cities (not top 10 though but top 20). <--- NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, SF Bay Area, Houston, Boston, Dallas, and Miami are the only international cities in the US.

Suggesting cities that aren't even that relevant to the US let alone the world like Philly, Detroit, etc as international is laughable and delusional, only a meth head moron would ever include cities like that IMO.

Seattle is one to watch IMO, it will soon join the top 10 club and has the might in it to do that, it's already more internationally reputable than Philly or Atlanta and more powerful by it's cos, investors, foreign pop, market capitalization, etc. The saying size is not everything applies most to Seattle as it's put to shame a city like Philly hundreds of times.

btw, in the HNWI chart I posted when you add in RI and NH Boston burbs to Boston (its CSA) it runs away from Philly. LOL

Last edited by scrantiX; 01-18-2013 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,064 times
Knowing Tokyo quite well, I would say Tokyo is definitely not a very international city, no matter how many international flights it gets a day or how big its foreign trade is. Japan is still predominantly a country closed to the outside world and that includes her capital.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Are these GDP measurements useful as comparison's across national boundaries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'd put Istanbul ahead of that. 3rd most visited city in Europe after London and Paris, good number of foreign borns live there (lot of Bulgarians, Germans, Iraqi, etc), lot of big firms there, very good shopping at all ends of the spectrum, huge tourism industry (obviously), etc. Largest city in Europe after Moscow (and it may have surpassed Moscow now). Also was the European Capital of Culture for 2010.

Its GDP, according to a 2011 Brookings Institute study is $301.1 billion. That is more than Brussels, Sydney, Toronto, Taipei, Madrid, Bangkok, Miami, Jakarta, Delhi, Munich, Rome, Riyadh, Berlin, Tel Aviv, Cairo, Mumbai, Vienna, and many others. It's also BARELY behind San Francisco, Boston, Amsterdam, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World