Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:48 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times

Advertisements

Do you avoid listing your current company in case someone in HR does a search every once in awhile to see who may be on Linked In from the organization and 'looking around' for a new job?

Should you write in your profile "Interested in relocating to" and state the name of the city or state or area?

The person I am dealing with INSISTS they want to put the 'where I want a job' on their profile to get offers from that area.

I think it is foolish. They should just make a normal profile (omitting their current organization and where they want to move) and then when they get contacted or make connections they say "I want to move to XYZ" so any offers from that area will be considered.

The other option is making your profile 'private' but what is the point? You're trying to network.

I can't offer any advice because I am unemployed and I don't have a boss to worry about.

Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
^^^
I know when you post a resume on monster, you can actually choose companies (such as your own company if you are looking around for another job) and block them from seeing your resume.

Perhaps LinkedIn has something similar?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I have my current employer listed. LinkedIn is not just for jobseekers but for networking in general. A few weeks ago I needed a referal for a service, posted a question on LinkedIn and got three referrals within 10 minutes.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:51 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
I have my current company listed on my Linkedin and on my active resume posted on the job boards. I always keep my resume and information up to date and have nothing to hide from my current employer. Unless they can guarantee in writing I will have a job forever, then I will be up-to-date for whatever the occassion calls for.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
I have never had a boss that discouraged me from looking for a new job.

Decent management know you will continue to develop your career and move around. For my industry (software development), if someone has been in the same job for two years, it is expected they will be moving to a new job soon. A coworker of mine just quit, and my boss was very encouraging of the move. He wasn't happy that he has to go through the effort to hire and train someone new, but he was happy for her.

Maybe it is different for different industries, but six months into this job (have been here for roughly two years) my boss told me 'I hope you aren't still working here in five years, because I want your career to progress faster than that'.

Again - probably not the same for other industries, but that is the state of things in IT. The idea of working the same job for 30 years doesn't exist in the IT/software field.

Last edited by hnsq; 04-29-2010 at 06:42 AM..

Old 04-29-2010, 06:27 AM

That's amazing hnsq because it has been my experiences most bosses think only of their bottom line and keeping their employees there so they do not have to train anyone new or deal with hiring.

I had one job where the manager refused to allow people to transfer to other departments. Of course, it was a poorly run company that did not value its employees and the turnover was enormous and quick.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
That's amazing hnsq because it has been my experiences most bosses think only of their bottom line and keeping their employees there so they do not have to train anyone new or deal with hiring.

I had one job where the manager refused to allow people to transfer to other departments. Of course, it was a poorly run company that did not value its employees and the turnover was enormous and quick.
Maybe I have been lucky...

My boss thinks that good employees move on every few years no matter what, so if he supports me I will support him. When I quit, I will definately recommend people for the job and help find a highly qualified replacement. I also am very willing to give 4-6 weeks notice so I can have time to train a replacement. If my boss wasn't willing to help me, I would give 2 weeks and not a day more.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Maybe I have been lucky...

My boss thinks that good employees move on every few years no matter what, so if he supports me I will support him. When I quit, I will definately recommend people for the job and help find a highly qualified replacement. I also am very willing to give 4-6 weeks notice so I can have time to train a replacement. If my boss wasn't willing to help me, I would give 2 weeks and not a day more.
It must be wonderful to have a supportive boss. I think the vast majority are not like this. I would love other people to chime in on this. Many seem personally angry (in my experience) when you give notice. They act like you WANT to sabotage the company by leaving.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I have to honestly say that the past three times I've given notice, my bosses were supportive and understood, even at one really crappy to work for company.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have to honestly say that the past three times I've given notice, my bosses were supportive and understood, even at one really crappy to work for company.
Again, that's good to hear. I remember I gave notice at one place (I was pregnant) and after 5 months the stress was too much. I gave them reasonable notice and on my last day the manager kept nudging me saying, "Are you sure you want to leave?" about five times in an hour.

At another place, (a private school) I was talking to my co-worker and the owner heard I was leaving (this must have been in May or something, school ended in June). The owner got ANGRY at me and demanded, "WHEN WAS I GOING TO TELL HER?"

It's not unusual to 'give notice' when the school year ends. It was just preschool anyhow, not a high powered job. I was waiting to see if we were actually moving at the time before telling her. I remember she hired me 2 years earlier within a week of school opening...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment